UCH and Pilots reach Tentative Agreement

Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...031500642.html

I wonder how much additional flying will be outsourced to regionals. As it is, seems most domestic flights at IAD/ORD are Express with mainline flying few and far between.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had heard that mainline pilots will be flying 90 or 100 seaters in this new contract.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by username
I had heard that mainline pilots will be flying 90 or 100 seaters in this new contract.
Still leaves a lot of potential ~70 seaters for the regionals.

Maybe FAB or aluminumdriver can enlighten us on the contract their union championed.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
That would be nice to see some type of E190 or similar type aircraft as UA mainline.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
That would be nice to see some type of E190 or similar type aircraft as UA mainline.
Proudly operated by legacy Continental crew
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by username
Not necessarily. It provides for the possibility but there's nothing saying we'll ever get those planes.

FAB
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:41 pm

I just got notification that this thing was approved by both CO and UA MECs. I'm on a very short layover (and nothing in the TA about fixing that) so I just did a quick look at the summary.

I have to say that it doesn't look good at all. Scope is weak, there are more givebacks than improvements, and the pay increases are an insult. I was an Airbus captain when we got the cuts in '03 and '04. The 'Bus took the largest % hit-48%. Now as a 757/767 captain, I'm seeing the smallest raise. Maybe since the 75s are going away and the 320/737 will be the same pay, I'll only loose seniority. Never thought I'd be looking kindly upon the lesser of two evils.

The scope is #1 for me even though I'll be gone before the effects are felt among the pilots, but I can't in good conscience vote in favor of it. Same with retirement, insurance, and work rules. Pay is also a slap in the face.

I'm going to try and keep an open mind though, and listen to our MEC try and pitch this, but I suspect I'll be watching them trying to put lipstick on a pig.

More to follow, I'm sure.

FAB
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
This contract sounds awful for the pilots! Why would they give more?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:07 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
There are absolutely no meaningful details in that article. Anyone have concrete details of what's in the proposed contract?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freshairborne
The scope is #1 for me even though I'll be gone before the effects are felt among the pilots, but I can't in good conscience vote in favor of it. Same with retirement, insurance, and work rules.
That's smart, without scope you don't own the work so you could have otherwise great TA (pay, benefits, etc) but if the work isn't protected nothing really matters.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mh3265a
There are absolutely no meaningful details in that article. Anyone have concrete details of what's in the proposed contract?
I'd rather the pilots review and vote before we see leaks without the context. A draft agreement is irrelevent to the flying public.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
No way this thing is passing. Time to short UA stock?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:33 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by freshairborne
I was an Airbus captain when we got the cuts in '03 and '04. The 'Bus took the largest % hit-48%. Now as a 757/767 captain, I'm seeing the smallest raise.
True, but had you stayed on the bus, the 320s and the 319s got the biggest raises. Because you moved up on equipment to a higher paying bird (basicly a voluntary promotion to equipent that paid more and tok a smaller relativecut) is why the discrapancy. Had you stayed on the equipment that took the biggest cut, you would be getting the biggest (relative, not absolute) raise. Instead you moved up to a different job that pad more and took a smaller relative cut.
The raises are rates based on metal currently bid by you to fly, not based on metal you flew on the effective date of your current (old) recessionary contract.

Noone can fault you for wanting to move up equipment, but in so doing, you moved to that equipment pay scale, not your previous equipment pay scale, which on this TA got a larger increase, in line with the larger cut it took.

Last edited by fastair; Nov 13, 2012 at 8:58 am
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Looks like the concensus on APC is this will NOT pass:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ca...-overview.html
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Looks like the concensus on APC is this will NOT pass:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ca...-overview.html
I'm not sure there is a strong consensus either way based off the totality of the comments in the pilots forum. I think the anti-agreement folks are more vocal and active in that forum too...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.