Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transpac Y Seat Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, peon literally everywhere else!
Transpac Y Seat Strategy

I had to change my HKG>ORD flight to this coming (busy)Friday. With no status, and a corp E+ if available 5 days out (not) policy, I'm going to be in the back. No seat assigned, but there are middles on ua.com

My question is whether I'm better off grabbing a middle in a block with 2 free in the center 4 section, or just wait it out, and hope for an aisle at checkin? No guarantees, I understand, that the adjacent middle stays empty, but if I am in a middle, better it be a middle with a free seat adjacent than blocked in hard. <Yes, I dread this>

Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by fholt
I had to change my HKG>ORD flight to this coming (busy)Friday. With no status, and a corp E+ if available 5 days out (not) policy, I'm going to be in the back. No seat assigned, but there are middles on ua.com

My question is whether I'm better off grabbing a middle in a block with 2 free in the center 4 section, or just wait it out, and hope for an aisle at checkin? No guarantees, I understand, that the adjacent middle stays empty, but if I am in a middle, better it be a middle with a free seat adjacent than blocked in hard. <Yes, I dread this>

Thanks
Ouch, just looked at the seatmap. I feel your pain! With no open seats in C it doesn't look likely anyone is going to be upgrading out of Y. What do you see as the advantage to "waiting it out?" And when you made the change, it wasn't possible to to HKG-NRT-SFO, which has some better seating options available? Best bet would have been HKG-EWR and parachute out when over Chicago. Wow, looks like a busy travel day coming back from Asia!

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Nov 11, 2012 at 1:41 am Reason: clarity
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Things always change within t-24 and even earlier with upgrades and such, so you may still luck out. I'm also always amazed how many seats seem to open up at checkin on the map due to what I assume are cancellations, people being re-booked during IRROPS, etc. My strategy is to always select to best seat I can and then keep checking the last few days up until checkin, at which time something indeed better is often available. Of course being a lowly silver this has become even more the case for me with no E+ until t-24 to begin with. On a TPAC long haul I would personally still take an E- aisle or window over E+ middle, but that's just me. I sat in an E+ middle due to a last minute IRROP rebook on SFO-PEK earlier this year and I wouldn't do it again.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Best Transpacific seat strategy I can think of is upgrade or buy up out of there
Old Nov 11, 2012, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I grabbed 40E as the current "least worst" seat on the plane. Unfortunately, I don't have the capability to buy up (even in it were available) and need this flight in order to make it back for a funeral. My original flights were Saturday, and much less crowded.

How far we have fallen. Here I am hoping against hope to get an aisle in E- as my "best case scenario".
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fholt
Thanks guys, I grabbed 40E as the current "least worst" seat on the plane. Unfortunately, I don't have the capability to buy up (even in it were available) and need this flight in order to make it back for a funeral. My original flights were Saturday, and much less crowded.

How far we have fallen. Here I am hoping against hope to get an aisle in E- as my "best case scenario".
In this situation i would have not assigned a seat.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by aacharya
In this situation i would have not assigned a seat.
Why not assign a seat? Id say don't assign a seat to try to get a bump but OP has to make the flight.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by CDKing
Why not assign a seat? Id say don't assign a seat to try to get a bump but OP has to make the flight.
No, UA holds plenty of good seats for airport check in only. If E- is full, he would get E+ at no extra charge. If all the seats left online suck, it's always better to wait for a seat at the airport. So many VDB's these days I would not even worry about a bump
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
No, UA holds plenty of good seats for airport check in only. If E- is full, he would get E+ at no extra charge. If all the seats left online suck, it's always better to wait for a seat at the airport. So many VDB's these days I would not even worry about a bump
Ding Ding. This is why.

The "theory" that an unassigned seat is more likely to be bumped is unfounded.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Well looking at s seat map means nothing, every carrier blocks apx 30% of the seats for airport check-in, on the other side many people dont get preassigned so norael telling what the load factor is

That said if I had to chose between having an E- and an empty seat next to me or E+ but every seat taken.Id grab the E- . So theres a slight advantage in grabbing a middle E- now since those who are traveling with someone wont want the 1 empty next to the OP but would grab any 2 seats together that they can

OP every so often check back to see if the seat is still empty if its taken switch if theres no 2 middle empty ask a rep to simply remove your seat assignment and play the Gate Lottery as you cant really lose if you reached this pt, and a middle E+ is better then a middle E- if if there wont be any empty seat/s next to you
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Just book the best seat available, when OLCI opens see if there is anything better to change to if not ask when at bag drop.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I don't think there will be any empty seats on this flight, FWIW. I was checking it out for a possible mile run and decided against it because of the seat situation.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Exactly my question chinatrader - I wondered if that would be wiser. I did just manage to move to an E- aisle that just opened up. I guess my "best case" just came through. I can't move to e+ without availability and calling my travel dept, which in turn calls UA. I wouldn't trade this aisle for an e+ middle either.

Thanks for all the opinions - I hate being in this situation (last time here in was AA PLT flying Cathay) but here I am.... on the aisle now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.