Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Changing itinerary mid-trip on award travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA

I’m flying to Berlin in a week using a UA Saver 1st award. I have a connection in LHR on LH. LH may be going on strike next week. With my luck it will be on the day of my flight as this happened to me on my last LH flight on Sept 31st. I’m thinking if I get to LHR and LH is on strike, rather than dealing with the mess at LHR, I might just change my travel plans and stay in London for a few days then hop a flight or take a train to FRA for my return. Will UA allow me to change my itinerary on award travel in a situation when one of the flights is cancelled?
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
I’m flying to Berlin in a week using a UA Saver 1st award. I have a connection in LHR on LH. LH may be going on strike next week. With my luck it will be on the day of my flight as this happened to me on my last LH flight on Sept 31st. I’m thinking if I get to LHR and LH is on strike, rather than dealing with the mess at LHR, I might just change my travel plans and stay in London for a few days then hop a flight or take a train to FRA for my return. Will UA allow me to change my itinerary on award travel in a situation when one of the flights is cancelled?
YES, but there may be fees involved if your not an elite. If they cancel your flight, they won't charge these fees but if your just afrain they may cancel your flight, then fees exhist. Important though, if there is a strike & you must rebook, you will need to still keep the dame destination city or jnowmatter what, fees
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
YES, but there may be fees involved if your not an elite. If they cancel your flight, they won't charge these fees but if your just afrain they may cancel your flight, then fees exhist. Important though, if there is a strike & you must rebook, you will need to still keep the dame destination city or jnowmatter what, fees
Thanks, Since the only way to TXL from LHR on a Star Alliance carrier is LH, I'll probably just change my travel plans. Looks like I can get a flight to Zurich. I'd rather pay the fee upfront and change my trip around then get stuck midway through my journey because of a strike.

Last edited by Uh Clem; Nov 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:15 pm
BCH

I have an (open-jaw) award trip, and my very last trip (CDG-ORD) currently has 3 not-so-convenient flights. If a nonstop flight opens up while I'm on vacation, would i be able to make the change online? Or would I have to call the United helpdesk from Europe and wait on hold?

Thank you!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:20 pm
BCH

Anyone know the answer? Thanks.

Originally Posted by BCH
I have an (open-jaw) award trip, and my very last trip (CDG-ORD) currently has 3 not-so-convenient flights. If a nonstop flight opens up while I'm on vacation, would i be able to make the change online? Or would I have to call the United helpdesk from Europe and wait on hold?

Thank you!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You can try making the change on-line but that will almost certainly fail and yu will have to call. UA does have call-in numbers in Europe, though.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BCH
Or would I have to call the United helpdesk from Europe and wait on hold?
If you do have to call, use a VOIP service, such as Vonage or Skype, so that you're not paying for hold time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.