Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions - Cancelling a United Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Questions - Cancelling a United Flight

I am suppose to go to Mexico, but I might need to cancel my flight.

I know my ticket is non-refundable, but if i cancel my flight is there a way to get a credit for a future flight?

If I "change my flight" can i picket a completely different destination several months in advance?

If I can't get any compensations, is there any reason to cancel my reservation? I don't like the idea of united not compensating me and reselling my ticket to someone else to make double the profit.

Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FranticTraveler1234
I am suppose to go to Mexico, but I might need to cancel my flight.

I know my ticket is non-refundable, but if i cancel my flight is there a way to get a credit for a future flight?

If I "change my flight" can i picket a completely different destination several months in advance?

If I can't get any compensations, is there any reason to cancel my reservation? I don't like the idea of united not compensating me and reselling my ticket to someone else to make double the profit.

Thanks
Welcome to FT!
You can cancel your flight online.
You keep the value of the ticket for 12 months. Depending on T&Cs of the fare basis, you will have to pay $150-250 change fee when using towards the value of the new ticket.
If you don't cancel the ticket before departure, you lose the whole value of the ticket.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
...You keep the value of the ticket for 12 months. ....
a point of clarification -- the lifetime of the value is 12 months from the original booking date (and not the date of original travel which might be the natural assumption).

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
... you will have to pay $150-250 change fee when using towards the value of the new ticket....
Some restricted international tickets change fees may be even higher ($400 is the highest I have seen) but the $150-$250 are the most common amounts. A key point is the change fee must be paid from "new money" and is not funded from the residual credit.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: United 1K, 1.6MM
One more addition...

If the price of your new ticket is less than the cost of the original ticket, then the difference will be sent to you as an electronic certificate via US mail. (At least, this was my experience with this process today, and I paid $150 for the domestic penalty.)

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
If you need to, are you able to cancel any ticket online (refundable and nonrefundable) after you have checked in?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ralphwiggum
One more addition...

If the price of your new ticket is less than the cost of the original ticket, then the difference will be sent to you as an electronic certificate via US mail. (At least, this was my experience with this process today, and I paid $150 for the domestic penalty.)

Hope this helps.
IME, when I rebooked a lower fare, it was never sent to me, but I was able to get the code on the phone. Always ask for this after rebooking the ticket (in my case, I tried booking online, but it didn't work, so had to call in anyway, so made sure to ask what it was before hanging up). It should be available in the record.

I could never understand how they can give out an electronic voucher, but still insist that it can't be emailed, and they have to send it out USPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.