Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Old Nov 4, 2012, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum

Hey guys, I'm in ord and flying from ord-iah-lax.

I'll keep a liveblog here of all the events!

Tahsir Ahsan
MileValue.com
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
on CNN...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/03/travel...ss_igoogle_cnn
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UAL Global Services; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Looking forward to hearing about the flight.

I fly IAH-SFO on Dec. 3.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Was on the IAH-LAX flight. Will post brief trip report and some pics tomorrow. Great plane overall. Lots of cool features.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:46 pm

Was on 1116, Met a ton of nice people.

Last edited by UnitedFlyGuy; May 14, 2013 at 9:30 am
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by QBK
I want to know "Everything I always wanted to know about where to sit on the 787"!!!

Seriously, I have a IAH-LAX connection on the 787 on November 24, and I'm not betting on the CPU. So I'd love to hear some solid info about Y seats. Specifically, I'm currently in 17F (center section bulkhead aisle), but 16L is open (bulkhead window). I'm tempted to switch just so I can play with the window all flight, but I'd like to know about the legroom -- and whether the window is worth all that.
I was in 17F ORD-IAH today. Smi/J was in 17F on the IAH-ORD, so you can ask him his opinion too.

17F has good legroom (duh), the video monitor is on a swing arm on the right and raises to a comfortable angle. The power outlets are on the right side of the seats, so if you are plugging in there is a small chance that your cord can get into the aisle. For these two reasons (video arm and power location) 17D may be slightly better than 17F.

I did not sit in 16L, but it seemed to have good legroom. Not quite as good as 17, but still plenty for most people. The window is fun to play with.

You will be happy with either 17F or 16L. Happier still if you get into rows 1-6. Good luck.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Plat, Hertz 5*, Avis First, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Gold
Sorrry all this is brief on phone on AA wireless about to land back home...

I was on the first rev flight from IAH to ORD this morning, it was a lot of fun! Arrived at IAH E5 at about 5:45. Not a ton of people but lots of UA employees. Blue and white ballons and a stage with "Proud to Fly 787" was back drop for surprisingly short speeches. Table of pastries, fruit, and coffee on far side. Boarding was called pretty early, maybe 6:30 ish (will confirm later). Ribon cutting by Jeff in front of boarding gate. Lots of avaiation enthusiasts taking pictures. I was in 5E. Highlights of plane:

1. Windows seemed huge, bigger than i expected. Could see well from my interior isle seat. People dimmed windows, no verdict from me on if they will be dark enough.
2. Sink facet and toilet were touchless. No more one hand hand wash then switch hands. The door to lav opens kinda weriod.
3. Cabin felt tall and open but much more narrow thay 777. Isles in coach seemed okay so not sure how comfortable 9 across was.
4. BusinessFirst seat seemed to be CO standard, may have liked better than UA IPTE. Bad location for head phone jack.
5. Plane was very quiet

Festivities:
1. 787 welcome video with Jeff that got applause.
2. Jeff lead Champaign toast after takeoff for entire plane.
3. No special meal in F
4. People roamed plane freely
5. Crew was fantastic, friendly and service focused don't think i could say enough good things, they enjoyed an almost celebrity status.
6. Jeff was in Y, bulk head i think.
7. Pilot gave great briefing on flight weights and speed. 9k lbs per hour fuel burn.
8. Water canon salute at gate in ORD

Hope that gives a taste....double chims gotta go.

Brian
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
I was in 17F ORD-IAH today. Smi/J was in 17F on the IAH-ORD, so you can ask him his opinion too.

17F has good legroom (duh), the video monitor is on a swing arm on the right and raises to a comfortable angle. The power outlets are on the right side of the seats, so if you are plugging in there is a small chance that your cord can get into the aisle. For these two reasons (video arm and power location) 17D may be slightly better than 17F.

I did not sit in 16L, but it seemed to have good legroom. Not quite as good as 17, but still plenty for most people. The window is fun to play with.

You will be happy with either 17F or 16L. Happier still if you get into rows 1-6. Good luck.
how's the width of the seat compared to other planes? that seems to be one of the bigger questions about Y in a 787.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum
I just did a trip report because it wont let me post pictures...

http://milevalue.com/united-airlines-787-trip-report/
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by quantumslip
how's the width of the seat compared to other planes? that seems to be one of the bigger questions about Y in a 787.
Very narrow. Especially bulkheads, where you have the solid wider armrests that don't move and house the video monitors. I found seat padding pretty hard too. Bearable for the 2-3 hour domestic flights, but really too hard for the intended transoceanic flights.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by tahsir21
I just did a trip report because it wont let me post pictures...

http://milevalue.com/united-airlines-787-trip-report/
Nice trip report, however the sCO FAs based in ORD are only domestic so they won't be flying the 787 internationally. The LAX - NRT flight will be staffed entirely by HTA (Houston International) and HOS (Houston Speaker) FA's. And was it both a Houston & Chicago based inflight crew? When I had my 787 training I was told only NTA & HTA crews were getting trained on them.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777Brian
Sorrry all this is brief on phone on AA wireless about to land back home...
I was on the first rev flight from IAH to ORD this morning, it was a lot of fun!
Hope that gives a taste....double chims gotta go.
Brian
Thank for the report, Brian!

("no flaming on you, Brian" ) Was looking for some words all day and surprised it took that long. Seem to recall FT posts almost immediately after other pmUA first events.
Almost looks like many true hardcore (pm)UA fans have moved on ....
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by QBK
I want to know "Everything I always wanted to know about where to sit on the 787"!!!

Seriously, I have a IAH-LAX connection on the 787 on November 24, and I'm not betting on the CPU. So I'd love to hear some solid info about Y seats. Specifically, I'm currently in 17F (center section bulkhead aisle), but 16L is open (bulkhead window). I'm tempted to switch just so I can play with the window all flight, but I'd like to know about the legroom -- and whether the window is worth all that.
IIRC, Darren posted a photo that showed a large amount of space in the Y bulkheads.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
nice report tahsir21, was waiting for one of these, the cockpit looks awesome !!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
"First U.S. Dreamliner flight: United lands inaugural flight at O'Hare"

"First U.S. Dreamliner flight: United lands inaugural flight at O'Hare"

http://touch.chicagotribune.com/#sec.../p2p-73156485/

By Gregory Karp, Tribune reporter
4:08 pm, November 4, 2012

"United Airlines landed its inaugural flight of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner at Chicago O'Hare on Sunday morning to the cheers of passengers, which included many aviation enthusiasts who took the flight just to say they were there." ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.