Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I've Flown on UA's 787" Thread (Reports, Experiences, Etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2012, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Benefit to United, not to us.
Indeed. The lower fuel burn is huge to an airline. If the fuel savings help airlines stay profitable and avoid more consolidation, that's a good thing.

I didn't get anything special out of my UA 787 flights other than discomfort in the tight economy seats. Fact is, the 787 was designed for 8 seats across in economy, and any airline that packs in 9 seats across will be uncomfortably tight. It seems that's the trend, so now that I can say I have sampled Boeing's new plane, I'll seek out more comfortable aircraft.

Maybe all the Dreamliner hype we've heard for years built unrealistic expectations that can't be met. However, I did enjoy my ANA 787 flight in May...8 seats per row in economy.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Do it. Just be sure they waitlist you for the IAH-IAD segment since you spent the miles + copay. It should put you in a higher priority on the waitlist.
I just booked a flight for mid January that includes the 787 ORD-IAH segment. I'm considering using miles to U/G (I'm actually flying BOS-ORD-IAH-XXX) and I could also U/G the non-787 segments as well. My concern is that there could be plane swaps between now and when my flight is scheduled, so it might not be a good investment using miles. How have the experiences been for complimentary Premier upgrades on the ORD-IAH segment? The F cabin looks wide open right now but we're still 6 weeks away. I'm Plat flying on a T fare.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
OK, I know that I should know this, but are they providing pillows in BF on the 787's, or are pillows totally gone for all domestic service? Got a redeye this weekend and want to know if it is BYOP
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by jasonvr
OK, I know that I should know this, but are they providing pillows in BF on the 787's, or are pillows totally gone for all domestic service? Got a redeye this weekend and want to know if it is BYOP
Pillows are standard in all cabins on 787 at this time.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Decent, or too small for a hobbit? (it's been a long time since I saw a domestic pillow)
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
As an aside, I picked up a few hints from some people in Chicago that the UA way of provisioning international pillows/blankets in premium cabins and regular pillows/blankets in Y on domestic widebody flights is a practice that will likely continue at the merged carrier... it hasn't come to the CO side yet for logistical reasons (mostly deciding what to do w/r/t to the internationally-configured 752 fleet) but if the rumors are to be believed, then ^!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Decent, or too small for a hobbit? (it's been a long time since I saw a domestic pillow)
I've flown on the 787 twice (IAH-LAX-IAH) and there were large pillows and blankets in the BusinessFirst cabin. I don't personally use either, but the folks around me were very pleased.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum; United 1MM, 1K
yep. Econo seats are econo seats. (although interesting about the 8 vs 9).
I've done 2 Economy Plus windows, 1 Economy Plus Aisle (where i usually fly) and one BF isle.

The window seats were a bit tight but not much worse then expected. The aisle seat was fine. I wouldn't want to be on a middle seat, but who ever does? I really can't imaging being in the middle for a 14 hour flight on one of these... I would simply find another way to get to where I'm going.

However, I think the huge overhead storage is a major benefit for everyone on the airplane. I was on full flights all four times and not once did the overheads come close to filling. That makes for happier passengers and faster boarding times. That's all good in my book.

Two flights were in family trips and I had my two teenage sons in the very back. Both are taller than I but not as wide. They had no problems in the middle/window. They had some fun trying to synch the video playback on both seat backs.

Of the four flights, the most turbulent time on three of them was on the ground while taxing. The fourth flight we did have some light chop... at least it was light chop in the 787... I bet it would have been rougher in any other aircraft. Figures this happened when I wasn't on the window... I would have enjoyed seeing how the wings flexed in those conditions.

Oh, and on a final note... the Bathrooms ROCK! Thank you Boeing for bringing airline sanitation into the 90s! (but what's with the ashtrays inside and outside the bathrooms?)
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by aveRex
I've flown on the 787 twice (IAH-LAX-IAH) and there were large pillows and blankets in the BusinessFirst cabin. I don't personally use either, but the folks around me were very pleased.
Just found some pics. They actually do look decent sized! Actually looks bigger than LH F!

http://milevalue.com/united-airlines-787-trip-report/
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum; United 1MM, 1K
Originally Posted by DELee

(Opportunity Note: A quick check of the LAX-IAH return tonight shows an almost empty E+ section and about 1/3 empty in Y - and that's after 35 standbys were accommodated and 23 upgrades - so returns to IAH may be your best bet for a BF upgrade on a 787 in the near term.)
Agreed. I made it into BF last Friday night LAX-IAH and I rarely get upgraded now-a-days. It makes for a long day and with the inevitable 787 minor delays, everyone was a bit grumpy, even the FAs... but they got over it.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Gregor
(but what's with the ashtrays inside and outside the bathrooms?)
The ashtrays are an FAA requirement. They are meant to provide smokers with a safe place to dispose of their cigarettes, rather than having them do so in the trash bin, where a fire could develop.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:20 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by 14940674
The ashtrays are an FAA requirement. They are meant to provide smokers with a safe place to dispose of their cigarettes, rather than having them do so in the trash bin, where a fire could develop.
What? No spittoons?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by Skymonster
* NO "From the Flightdeck" (aka channel 9) option on the IFE menus
I flew on N26906 yesterday (flight UA1106 IAH-SFO) and was indeed disappointed by the lack of Channel 9. This is a new aircraft with a new IFE system - is the lack of Channel 9 due to the fact it is effectively an sCO operated plane? Do we need to await a new pilots' contract to see Ch9 show up on these planes or is a different issue?

Overall a positive flight experience - can't say it was a 'game changer' from a Y passenger perspective (E+), but can't wait to try out the BF cabin if my upgrades ever clear (or if I find someone with deep enough pockets to pay for it)!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:38 am

Just finished editing the video I made on my UA 787 trip from LAX-IAH on Nov 16. Lots of closeups and details about the aircraft. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=737t6EwxxMw
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by colortv
Just finished editing the video I made on my UA 787 trip from LAX-IAH on Nov 16. Lots of closeups and details about the aircraft. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=737t6EwxxMw

Very nice video!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.