Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is My Planned MileagePlus Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alex_b
Many of the questions about the validity of itineraries containing open jaws or stopovers can be found in the wiki at: Consolidated Rules for Open Jaw and Stopver Award Flights. Please read that prior to posting questions.

MileagePlus Star Alliance Travel Rules
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/starairawards.aspx
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium

Hello,

Exploring some routing options from Charlotte, NC to Toluca, Mexico (TLC).

Is this a valid routing on a UA award?

CLT - LAS (Stopover) - IAH - TLC (destination) - IAH - CLT.

Also, are MEX and TLC considered Co Terminals? If so, is this legal?

CLT - MEX (destination) - TLC - IAH - LAS (stopover) - CLT.

Thanks,

Beofotch

Last edited by beofotch; May 16, 2012 at 9:14 am
Old May 16, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by beofotch
Hello,

Exploring some routing options from Charlotte, NC to Toluca, Mexico (TLC).

Is this a valid routing on a UA award?

CLT - LAS (Stopover) - IAH - TLC (destination) - IAH - CLT.

Also, are MEX and TLC considered Co Terminals? If so, is this legal?

CLT - MEX (destination) - TLC - IAH - LAS (stopover) - CLT.

Thanks,

Beofotch
There are no stopovers allowed on award tickets that are all in one region (ie, US to Mexico). So you can't have a stopover in Vegas. You can book an open jaw (or even a double open jaw) though so it's no problem to go CLT-MEX, TLC-CLT.

If you need to include LAS on this trip then you'd have to book a one way award CLT-LAS then a separate round trip ticket LAS-MEX, TLC-CLT. Or you could just do all one way segments (although that can be troublesome if you need to make changes or cancel..multiple tickets means multiple change fees).
Old May 16, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
There are no stopovers allowed on award tickets that are all in one region (ie, US to Mexico). So you can't have a stopover in Vegas. You can book an open jaw (or even a double open jaw) though so it's no problem to go CLT-MEX, TLC-CLT.

If you need to include LAS on this trip then you'd have to book a one way award CLT-LAS then a separate round trip ticket LAS-MEX, TLC-CLT. Or you could just do all one way segments (although that can be troublesome if you need to make changes or cancel..multiple tickets means multiple change fees).

This is not correct. You can have a stopover to/from Mexico.

The award routing looks fine to me.
Old May 16, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by channa
This is not correct. You can have a stopover to/from Mexico.

The award routing looks fine to me.
Indeed that changed with the merger.. PMUA never allowed stopovers within a region except Hawaii. Good to know.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:43 pm

valid MP award routing (NYC-LHR//CDG-PEK//PVG-NYC)?

If I plug in NYC-LHR//LHR-PEK//PVG-NYC, united.com is able to price out an RT mileage required (i.e., with the free stopover in LHR). However I couldn't price out NYC-LHR//CDG-PEK//PVG-NYC on united.com using multiple destinations, is this because its against award routing rules? Or a limitation of award booking on united.com?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
You'll see a difference of opinion here on this one. I say no, because you have an openjaw at your stopover point. sbm12 will disagree.

Good luck getting it priced - $50 says it's not going to happen for you.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:32 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stevenshev
You'll see a difference of opinion here on this one. I say no, because you have an openjaw at your stopover point. sbm12 will disagree.

Good luck getting it priced - $50 says it's not going to happen for you.
I agree. The issue isn't just the open jaw at the stopover point, there's also the "double open jaw" I don't think this is legal...

EDIT: Reading the response below, and the "new" rules, there's an argumeent to be made that this is legal. I think the only way you'd have a chance is if you route PVG-NYC via Europe so that it's not a RTW

Last edited by gba; Jul 30, 2012 at 6:54 pm Reason: Edit due to later comment
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by deltame
If I plug in NYC-LHR//LHR-PEK//PVG-NYC, united.com is able to price out an RT mileage required (i.e., with the free stopover in LHR). However I couldn't price out NYC-LHR//CDG-PEK//PVG-NYC on united.com using multiple destinations, is this because its against award routing rules? Or a limitation of award booking on united.com?
Yes, only one stopover and one open jaw is allowed. NYC-LHR//CDG-PEK//PVG-NYC is apparently two open jaws.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mediator
Yes, only one stopover and one open jaw is allowed. ....
-- you information is old, for the new rules see United air travel award rules

Two open jaws are permitted per roundtrip award. For example, you can fly from Newark to London and return from Paris to Washington Dulles.

A stopover is permitted on roundtrip award travel only. One stopover is permitted, unless otherwise noted. Additional mileage may be required for Saver Awards within the mainland U.S., Alaska and Canada.
What is unclear if the second open jaw can be at the stopover or just on the return trip.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mediator
Yes, only one stopover and one open jaw is allowed. NYC-LHR//CDG-PEK//PVG-NYC is apparently two open jaws.
You're permitted a double open-jaw, but I also believe that this might not be legal due to the surface sectors.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
sadly it looks like United cancelled service to Toluca, TLC in early September. I can't find a press release for it though.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Indeed that changed with the merger.. PMUA never allowed stopovers within a region except Hawaii. Good to know.
Agreed on the pmUA policy of stopovers only allowed to Hawaii.

With the newUA are stopovers allowed everywhere or just certain destinations? I searched for this on the site with no luck.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shortkidd
With the newUA are stopovers allowed everywhere or just certain destinations? I searched for this on the site with no luck.
More or less anywhere; the rules do say something like "most direct routing" somewhere, I think, but that isn't really enforced. For awards wholly within the lower 48, Canada and Alaska there is a surcharge for the stopover. Otherwise it is a freebie on the award, along with two open jaws.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
is this a valid award : EWR-YYZ-LAS

i know AirCanada is not allowed to SELL you a ticket between 2 points in the U.S., but are you allowed to redeem an award ticket that's UA EWR-YYZ that connects to AC YYZ-LAS ?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
2 awards, then yes, legal. One award, no, not legal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.