Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Is My Planned MileagePlus Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: alex_b
Many of the questions about the validity of itineraries containing open jaws or stopovers can be found in the wiki at: Consolidated Rules for Open Jaw and Stopver Award Flights. Please read that prior to posting questions.

MileagePlus Star Alliance Travel Rules
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/mileageplus/awards/travel/starairawards.aspx
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Is My Planned MileagePlus Award Itinerary Valid?" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
UA should be able to route you this way, assuming availability - there is no legal or other reason they can not sell a US-US itinerary with a connection in Canada (award or revenue). In fact, once in a while, these kinds of itinerary's have been available for sale online. The only thing is, the passenger must clear customs going into and leaving Canada, so must have the proper documentation for this.

AC, on the other hand, can definitely not sell this kind of ticket, though can probably do it as an award. I've definitely booked US-US award tickets through Aeroplan. Not sure exactly why, but if I had to guess, mine is that because awards are booked on operating carrier flight number, and not as a codeshare. In that way, I don't think its any different than a Canadian travel agent booking a wholly US itinerary.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:57 pm

No, it is not valid. A flight cannot have a layover in Canada between two US-48 cities.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by samwkchan
No, it is not valid. A flight cannot have a layover in Canada between two US-48 cities.
Care to explain why not? Cabotage means a Canadian carrier (i.e. AC, WestJet, etc.) can't sell a US-US connection (presumably, this would be via Canada). But there's no reason why UA can't.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Care to explain why not? Cabotage means a Canadian carrier (i.e. AC, WestJet, etc.) can't sell a US-US connection (presumably, this would be via Canada). But there's no reason why UA can't.
Cabotage is universal - it has nothing to do with the US, it applies to almost every country. No airline can sell a US-Canada-US routing, just as no airline can sell a Canada-US-Canada routing.

What makes you think cabotage only applies to the US?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Cabotage is universal - it has nothing to do with the US, it applies to almost every country. No non-US airline can sell a US-Canada-US routing, just as no non-Canadian airline can sell a Canada-US-Canada routing.

Fixed your post with the bolded words above. My question still stands. This is UA, a US airline, we're talking about. If they wanted to route someone going from EWR through FRA to LAS, they could. As mentioned above, cabotage would apply if AC or Westjet was trying to sell this routing. But its UA (presumably) - I assume that's why the question is in the UA forum.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Fixed your post with the bolded words above. My question still stands. This is UA, a US airline, we're talking about. If they wanted to route someone going from EWR through FRA to LAS, they could. As mentioned above, cabotage would apply if AC or Westjet was trying to sell this routing. But its UA (presumably) - I assume that's why the question is in the UA forum.
My definition was probably not clear - concisely, an airline in country A cannot fly passengers between two points in country B or vice versa.

UA cannot fly someone between two Canadian airports, nor can AC fly someone between two US airports regardless of routing.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Cabotage is universal - it has nothing to do with the US, it applies to almost every country. No airline can sell a US-Canada-US routing, just as no airline can sell a Canada-US-Canada routing.

The point is that no foreign airline may transport pax between two points within the same country even by connecting the pax through the home soil of the foreign airline unless authorized by a bilaterial agreement.

The issue of an airline being able to transport passengers between two points on its home soil via a connection in a foreign country is quite different.

In fact, some years ago, US regularly had pax connect at YYZ. For example, BOS-YYZ-CLE, which I took several times in order to have lunch with a friend who worked at YYZ. If US can do it, UA can do it.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by Indelaware
In fact, some years ago, US regularly had pax connect at YYZ. For example, BOS-YYZ-CLE, which I took several times in order to have lunch with a friend who worked at YYZ. If US can do it, UA can do it.
Nowadays when searching for SFO-GUM flights, I frequently see UA offers SFO-(NRT,KIX)-GUM, all on UA. ANA also flies SFO-NRT, but never shows up as an option. So I think EWR-YYZ-LAS is doable as long as both segments are on US carriers.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is this a valid award : EWR-YYZ-LAS

Shouldn't matter the actual carrier, I believe. What matters is who is selling it. UA should be able to sell this even if all AC metal, as long as they are UA flight numbers.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I tried it on the website and it's quoting me as 2 separate awards ... if i call up an agent, could i argue it should be 1 award not 2 ?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:03 pm

Shouldn't matter the actual carrier, I believe. What matters is who is selling it. UA should be able to sell this even if all AC metal, as long as they are UA flight numbers.
No, in this case it is the metal. But, it might be both the metal and the flight numbers.

However, in OPs case the subject was award travel which is always ticketed on the operating carrier.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Outside of the box scenario, but in the past, I've had a RTW ticketed in such a way that I fly US-Canada-US.

Definitions can be grey. What if I am flying LAX-YVR for a few hours, then YVR-SFO? It's ticketed as a roundtrip rather than a connection, so I suppose that's what makes it kosher.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Outside of the box scenario, but in the past, I've had a RTW ticketed in such a way that I fly US-Canada-US.

Definitions can be grey. What if I am flying LAX-YVR for a few hours, then YVR-SFO? It's ticketed as a roundtrip rather than a connection, so I suppose that's what makes it kosher.
Yes, you are not being flown from the US to the US via Canada. You are being flown from the US to Canada and then taking a return trip. However, while the ticket would be kosher, good luck getting a KSML on a flight within North America.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
i know AirCanada is not allowed to SELL you a ticket between 2 points in the U.S., but are you allowed to redeem an award ticket that's UA EWR-YYZ that connects to AC YYZ-LAS ?
The problem is that the YYZ-LAS flight is operated by AC.

If you did EWR-YYZ-ORD-LAS with all segments operated by UA then it would be ok.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:34 pm

I would like to book a one-way ticket JFK-YYZ-SFO with no stopover. When I searched using multiple destination in UA website, it priced it as two one-way rewards. Is it possible to get it in one rewards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.