FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United MileagePlus® Explorer Card -- why to keep? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1402482-united-mileageplus-explorer-card-why-keep.html)

iowa guy Oct 30, 2012 3:27 pm

United MileagePlus® Explorer Card -- why to keep?

My $95 annual fee is about due.

I'm trying to come up with some reasons to keep this credit card.

Here's what I have:
  • two miles for each $1 spent on United airlines tickets

Why do you keep your card?

I do like Mileage Plus miles but I don't necessarily like the $95 fee.

Thanks.

MDtR-Chicago Oct 30, 2012 4:01 pm

If you are the worrying type, free primary rental car insurance is a reason.

If you have no status, free baggage is a reason.

Otherwise, there is no reason, really.

Also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html

diver858 Oct 30, 2012 5:00 pm

IMHO, only reason to keep it, pay the fee is for the 2 club passes, free baggage check; otherwise, get Chase Sapphire Preferred; same bennies, more reward redemption options (UR can be converted to MP, Avios, lots of others).

MDtR-Chicago Oct 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 19594701)
IMHO, only reason to keep it, pay the fee is for the 2 club passes...

The most anyone should pay for 2 club passes is about $30 total. See:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ub-merged.html

Up to 10 visits free after rebate, $20 to join. So figure if you use all 10, it's about $5/visit. Less if you bundle the rebate forms.

MidnightLight Oct 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Primary rental car insurance is the best reason for keeping this card.

And, of course, if you're a United elite, then obviously it helps with earning more UA miles.

In my experience, Chase is pretty generous at waiving annual fees as long as you've put a decent amount of expenditure on the card.

MDtR-Chicago Oct 30, 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by MidnightLight (Post 19594806)
And, of course, if you're a United elite, then obviously it helps with earning more UA miles.

Also allows you comped upgrades on domestic tickets if you're elite, tho there is a thread in the UA forum that discusses how poorly that benefit works, in reality.

iowa guy Nov 1, 2012 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by MidnightLight (Post 19594806)
Primary rental car insurance is the best reason for keeping this card.

Isn't primary car insurance common on other cards as well? I think I have it on some other card....I'll check.

Btw, does primary car insurance carry effective internationally or just for rentals within my home country (USA)?

Thanks.

freeflyin Nov 1, 2012 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 19594809)
Also allows you comped upgrades on domestic tickets if you're elite, tho there is a thread in the UA forum that discusses how poorly that benefit works, in reality.

This benefit has worked for both my wife and I without complications so far. Hopefully it continues this way.

For 95.00 we get award upgrades,the club passes and the primary car rental coverage. Our are also MC,which we use for a few bills that only accept MC.

Ironically,we do not use it for UA tickets,except awards, as I also carry the Select card,which nets me an additional 1 mile per $ over the Explorer.

MDtR-Chicago Nov 1, 2012 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 19606010)
Isn't primary car insurance common on other cards as well? I think I have it on some other card....I'll check.

Btw, does primary car insurance carry effective internationally or just for rentals within my home country (USA)?

Most cards have secondary coverage. The coverage works for all the countries listed in your member benefits guide.

Personally, I think primary coverage is overrated. Since your own insurance covers everything but the deductible, that's really your only monetary risk. A common justification is that it protects you from having to file a claim on your insurance at all. But, for your usual driving, would you pay an additional fee over and above your existing insurance premium so you wouldn't have to use the insurance you're already paying for?

Maybe if you rent frequently or you're a poor driver... but I'm not a fan of paying twice for something.

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 19606379)
This benefit has worked for both my wife and I without complications so far. Hopefully it continues this way.

The upgrade benefit works fine if you clear at your window. However, if you need to move to the airport waitlist, it can be (literally) impossible to get on the list. So it's best if you're a 1K but for us peons it's not great.

I'm on the fence about paying the annual fee this year. Primary cover is nice to have, as is the (very) infrequent award ticket upgrade. But is it $95 valuable? Not sure yet.

matsonjb Nov 2, 2012 10:28 am

I recently got into the FF frenzy and I fly United the most since that is what the Navy usually flies me on. I have never had an issue and with the 55K option with the 1K in 3 months I will meet that during the holiday season. I will be using this plus a CSP for 40K for a total of 100K UA miles. I am using this mainly for when I travel but the perks are what is nice. I will use the CSP more and the fact that I can take them through the UR mall.

CrownRoyalForever Nov 2, 2012 1:45 pm

How about the 10k mile bonus for spending $25k?

At around $200 for 50 Vanilla Reloads, you could be buying 35k UA miles for about half-a-cent apiece...

Cheers

neonapple Nov 7, 2012 10:38 am

I have the United Platinum Class grandfathered in that gives 5000 PQM and an additional 5000 PQM at $35,000. It also includes a companion ticket (I never could figure out how to redeem these). The annual fee is $140 a year. I had the card since the beginning so roughly 4-5 years now? I never asked for a retention credit and am a bit tired of paying the $140 each year.

Do you think they will credit me back the $140 annual fee (I just paid it last week) if I request a downgrade to the new Mileage Plus Explorer Card.

The free bag credit that comes with the Explorer Card, if you are statused, does that mean +1 bag on top of your status benefits?

I'm going to lose my Gold status next year and I can get Silver annually without the PQM anyway.

Here is the card agreements for the 5000 EQM card. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nc18erpwjg0GLw

iowa guy Nov 7, 2012 11:32 am

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever (Post 19612611)
How about the 10k mile bonus for spending $25k?

At around $200 for 50 Vanilla Reloads, you could be buying 35k UA miles for about half-a-cent apiece...

Cheers

where can I learn what CRF is talking about? I think that it has something to do with getting a bonus for reloading a Vanilla card.

MDtR-Chicago Nov 7, 2012 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by neonapple (Post 19641918)
Do you think they will credit me back the $140 annual fee (I just paid it last week) if I request a downgrade to the new Mileage Plus Explorer Card.

It's best to handle this as two separate issues. First, call for a retention bonus on the existing card. They will probably not waive the fee but might offer you a lucrative spending incentive. If they won't, tell them you'll think about what to do next.

Then, separately, apply for the Explorer card. There is an offer available for 50k+5k signup bonuses but only on a new application, not a conversion. In the process of getting approved, if you have reached the maximum amount of credit available from Chase, offer to close the old card to get approval on this one.

Best case, you get to keep both cards, earn the signup and retention bonuses, and preserve your option to earn PQMs later.

The free bag credit that comes with the Explorer Card, if you are statused, does that mean +1 bag on top of your status benefits?
No.

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 19642209)
where can I learn what CRF is talking about? I think that it has something to do with getting a bonus for reloading a Vanilla card.

There is a gigantic thread in MilesBuzz! about the Bluebird card.

FLYDCA Nov 8, 2012 7:56 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 19608873)

Since your own insurance covers everything but the deductible, that's really your only monetary risk.

That is not always true for overseas claims. Most personal car insurance policies issued to US consumers do not provide any coverage outside of US/Canada & near the Mexico border.