Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus® Explorer Card -- why to keep?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United MileagePlus® Explorer Card -- why to keep?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:02 am

Im trying to come up with a reason to get this card. Just got Sapphire preferred. So I don't need the insurance. Obviously the 55k is a great reason, but beyond that I don't think I would put any spend on it. I would cancel it before the fee.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
That is not always true for overseas claims. Most personal car insurance policies issued to US consumers do not provide any coverage outside of US/Canada & near the Mexico border.
That's a very good point. It's more important for things like liability coverage since, remember, for damage to the car any CC's secondary coverage becomes primary, if your personal insurance does not cover that country but the CC coverage does.

Originally Posted by MSUspartans
Im trying to come up with a reason to get this card. Just got Sapphire preferred. So I don't need the insurance. Obviously the 55k is a great reason, but beyond that I don't think I would put any spend on it. I would cancel it before the fee.
You need more reason than 55k?

Never know... maybe you'll get a great retention offer and decide to keep it more than a year...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: Avis Chm, LM Boomielatinum

I'm looking on this thread and I'm wondering how cone no one mentioned one major benefit [at least for some] of the United card is that ua cardholders are treated like silver when it comes to booking on ua.com which means expanded Y availability. and last seat availability in standard for all classes.
this is actually a major benefit if you're flying ua and can save you a fortune
though you don't need the UMPE for that IIRC. any United cc should be good for that
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

???

How can that be? I just booked on UA.com tonight and I didn't choose my method of payment (which turned out to be a UA cc) until after I had chosen seats. If I would have payed with my FlexPerks card, the seat availability would have been the same.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
It sounds like creditor is referring to this benefit:

MileagePlus Premier® members have unrestricted access to Standard Awards. This benefit is also available to members who hold a MileagePlus Explorer, Select, Access, Club, Visa Signature or Business Credit Card, or a OnePass Plus, Presidential Plus, Visa Signature or Business Credit Card. If there's a United seat for sale, these members can get it with award miles, guaranteed, even if it's the last seat on the airplane.
So, yes, you can redeem for any seat at FULL price. Most people think that's not a very good bargain.

50k miles for a domestic economy seat? If you take a conservative evaluation of 1.5 cpm for a UA mile, that's a $750 ticket. You'd really have to try hard to make that a good deal.

110k from US to Europe in coach... At 1.5 cpm that's $1650. Again, it's fairly rare that you can't find a cash ticket that low, even at the last minute. (Especially when you factor in the miles you would earn from the cash ticket)

So, sure, it's a benefit, but it's one of those benefits that encourages you to make suboptimal long-term choices...
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:03 pm

delete

Last edited by SuperKirby; Jul 23, 2013 at 12:42 am Reason: error
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I kept the card...for now. If I don't make a United Flight in the next several months, I'll cancel the card.

I wonder how long I would have to wait to apply for the card/bonus again?

By the way, what is the "UR Travel site"?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy
I wonder how long I would have to wait to apply for the card/bonus again?
I wonder if it's YMMV or the same for everyone? I have no idea, I've never churned before.

By the way, what is the "UR Travel site"?
I meant Ultimate Rewards Travel. You know when you log into your account then click on Travel and book a trip from there, to get the 3x points.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 5:46 pm

Interesting post... I'll be making the cancel call in a few months, doesn't seem that there is much reason to stick with them unless they make it worth my while...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by bvddy
Interesting post... I'll be making the cancel call in a few months, doesn't seem that there is much reason to stick with them unless they make it worth my while...
I'm assuming you already have status, right? It seems to be a good card for anyone without status or doesn't fly enough to earn status, but flies enough to make good use of the perks from this card...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by bvddy
If you're not spending $25,000 a year on it to get the 10,000 mile bonus (1.4 miles per dollar), and already get the free bags via other means, then probably not worth for you.

This has a calculator to show whether Explorer or Sapphire offers more miles per year

http://milecards.com/2234/chase-sapp...u-do-the-math/
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
I wouldn't pay for it(my annual fee is coming up in may) but I did get a 100$ statement credit..so i'll keep it open...

i really like the primary rental car coverage..

and yes the bag benefit is of use to me...

i probably won't keep the card open if i had to spent the 100$
Old Mar 28, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by bitachu
I wouldn't pay for it(my annual fee is coming up in may) but I did get a 100$ statement credit..so i'll keep it open...

i really like the primary rental car coverage..

and yes the bag benefit is of use to me...

i probably won't keep the card open if i had to spent the 100$
I was wondering, if the bag benefit is of use to you, why wouldn't u keep the card even if u had to pay the $95? If you book two RTs by yourself w/ checked bag each time, then thats a $100 value anyway so the card pays for itself after 2 RTs. Plus you get a few extra perks. You fly 3 RTs by yourself in a year and you just saved $50. Or you go 1 RT with companion on same PNR and already the card pays for itself ($100 value).

The bag usage seems to be good for me since i spent $400 last year on UA baggage fees. Decided to look at this card last week and I was like woah! I coulda saved $305 last year ($400 - $95 AF)! the other perks will be nice, but not the main reason i want this card.

Even if I went on ONE RT with companion in the ENTIRE year, i would still save $5! ($100 bag fees - $95 AF).

So I'm wanting this card but it seems a tad sketchy as I can't find one person on FT or any other forum who wants this card. Isn't this card totally worth it if u don't have status that waives fees? (and of course all other spending goes on my sapphire preferred, the Explorer is strictly for baggage fees/flights).

Last edited by SuperKirby; Mar 28, 2013 at 7:30 pm
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by iowa guy
My $95 annual fee is about due.

I'm trying to come up with some reasons to keep this credit card.

Here's what I have:
  • two miles for each $1 spent on United airlines tickets

Why do you keep your card?

I do like Mileage Plus miles but I don't necessarily like the $95 fee.

Thanks.

i was thinking the same thing but i changed my mind and now i am happy i keep this card for the following reasons:

1. they give me 10000 miles as retention bonus.
2. they sent me 2 united club passes, which is useful for me.
3. they have 10000 mile spending bonus for $25000, which equals 1.4 miles per dollar.
4. They have big advantage on the rental car insurance.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I have this card and the Club Card and Gold Status. The Platinum Class legacy is a keeper because you earn PQM's on tickets purchased on United. com. I had no Elite status when I got the Club card but lounge access is a big deal to me (access to *A lounges on international flights is awesome).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.