Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate issues - UA rez things CAD:USD exchange is 2:1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exchange rate issues - UA rez things CAD:USD exchange is 2:1

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Angry Exchange rate issues - UA rez things CAD:USD exchange is 2:1

Have an el-cheapo ticket - BUF-SAN, SFO-YYZ. Called reservations to change the outbound yesterday (I know, picked a great day to call - 75 minutes on hold!), and the agent explained there would be a fare difference calculation and a change fee. That's fine and fully expected, but their quoted fare difference calculation was totally and completely wrong. I argued with the agent for a little while, then gave up.

Hung up, and called again. After another 40 minutes on hold, new agent gets the fare difference calculation correct. Give my credit card, it gets charged, and I hang up.

Let me stop here, and list the original fare:

FARE INFORMATION
Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 454.06 USD
Equivalent Airfare: 457.00 CAD
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 16.80
September 11th Security Fee: 7.50
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 4.50
Per Person Total: 485.80 CAD
eTicket Total: 485.80 CAD

The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 457.00 CAD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 28.80 CAD

Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 454.06 USD
Equivalent Airfare: 457.00 CAD
So I receive the email confirming the new fare. Get this:

FARE INFORMATION
Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 716.38 USD
Equivalent Airfare: 1,026.00 CAD

U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 48.16
U.S. Flight Segment Tax: 7.63
September 11th Security Fee: 7.56
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 13.59
Per Person Total: 1,102.94 CAD
eTicket Total: 1,102.94 CAD

The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 1,026.00 CAD
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 76.94 CAD

An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to AMERICAN EXPRESS AXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX on Monday, October 29, 2012. $617.14 CAD per ticket for an additional total of $617.14 CAD was collected.
Unbelievable. Shouldn't exchange rates be automatic?

So I call back, wait another 30 minutes on the phone. After I explain that they've used an (obviously) incorrect exchange rate, the agent proceeds to explain that the reason for the high fare was that there was a fare difference. I immediately ask for a supervisor.

The supervisor comes on the line and "investigates" the ticket and says there's nothing wrong with how the fare has been calculated. I ask her to check the exchange rate for CAD to USD and quote it to me.

She goes away for a few minutes and then comes back and says "there has obviously been an error" and we will reticket. No reticket yet.

Frustrating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.