Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Uniteds 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...

Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related topic: Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, BE waiver

United;s web page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-policy.html

Uniteds 24-hour flexible booking policy
and Ticket refund policies - Booking service fees
April 2020
We know that life happens, and you may need to change your travel plans unexpectedly. United's 24-hour flexible booking policy gives you the freedom to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of booking and ticketing, without being charged change fees if you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a full refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations arent eligible for changes within 24 hours, theyre still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. Please view the terms and conditions below for more details.Terms and conditions
  • Applies to tickets booked at united.com, United City Ticket Offices, airport ticket counters or with the United Customer Contact Center.
  • The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time you book and ticket your reservation.
  • Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, except for purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.
  • Group tickets are subject to the terms of the group contract.
  • Tickets purchased using e-certificates are excluded. (New April 2020)
  • Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
  • Any FareLock fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.
Previous wording - Dec 2019
Spoiler

Note: United refers to this as "Uniteds 24-hour flexible booking policy", not just cancellations. UA includes routing changes, pricing changes, fare class changes, ..... as well as simple cancellations. But the timeframe is based on the original purchases and not reset by a change. Only a cancellation and then separate rebooking would achieve that.

Reservation booking service fees and close-in booking fees for award tickets are refundable only if you cancel your reservation within 24 hours of purchase. These sometimes may take an extra request.

Starting 2016Q4 ticket receipts state
Refunds Within 24 Hours

When you book and ticket a reservation through united.com, the United mobile app, the United Customer Contact Center, at our ticket counters or city ticket offices, or if you use MileagePlus miles to book an award ticket, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund of the ticket price to the original form of payment if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure.
The website link does now mention the 7 day restriction (new 2017Q2) and the CoCs has contained the 7 day restriction for awhile. This is allowed by the DoT rules. However, no reports yet of UA enforcing the 7 day restriction.

DOT 24 refund rule, announcement
DOT requires airlines to either hold a reservation for 24 hours without payment or refund a paid ticket even a non-refundable one if you cancel within 24 hours of purchase and you purchased your ticket more than 7 days before your flight.

Airlines are free to choose between holding a reservation without payment in these circumstances or refunding after payment; they dont have to offer both options. ...
76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011

Further DOT Guidance on 24 hour rule
Note the present UA implementation in practice is more generous -- no 7 day limitation enforcement as of yet.
UA's 24 hour rule was in place long before the DOT requirement .

Note -- a changed ticket does not get a new 24-hour free cancel period -- that benefit only applies to the original purchase.

Does the 24 hour rule apply to award tickets?
Yes

Does the 24 hour rule apply to close in bookings?
Yes but cancellation must be done before scheduled departure.
While the policy revision in 2018 add the DOT allowed 7-day exemption, UA has generally allowed this and not enforced the 7-day exemption. There has been just one FT reported situation where the 7-day was enforced and it had other factors.

In the case of credit card purchases, on a cancellation, the credit charge may be left pending and never finalized. So in the end it is as if it never happen.

Basic Economy tickets -- are they projected by the 24 hour rule?
Yes, UA is allowing cancellation of BE tickets in the first 24 hour (consistent with DOT requirements. But as UA allows changes also of other fares in the first 24 hours, it will not allow that of BE . The distinction is minor but

Book a reservation with ETC but cancelled with 24 hours, will the ETC be refunded?
Yes it should but UA can be rather slow on this and occasionally will drop the ball. You may need to followup. Note the refunded ETC will have the same expiration as the original ETC. (So, not a way to extend the ETC ) -- Note in late 2020, UA's practice does seem to have changed to issuing NEW ETCs

Archive thread: Uniteds 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Uniteds 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...

Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:51 pm

Cancel Within 24 Hours Issue

Yesterday, booked an int'l flight. Today, realized needed to move the departure back by one day and take a different routing. After booking 2nd flight and <24h prior to issuance of 1st ticket (but ~20min left), went to cancel ticket. Only option was a flight credit. I thought it was a .bomb issue.

I then called CS and rep told me I was over 24h and said I could only get a credit. I asked her what time ticket issued. I asked her current time. And she said it was still >24h difference.

SO, I explained the math. Then, she said, as a courtesy, she could cancel the ticket. Say what?!

She canceled ticket (and it is confirmed). I asked to know the basis for the problem, and she said thought it was a system issue. Not sure what that means, but that was a waste of time...
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Yesterday, booked an int'l flight. Today, realized needed to move the departure back by one day and take a different routing. After booking 2nd flight and <24h prior to issuance of 1st ticket (but ~20min left), went to cancel ticket. Only option was a flight credit. I thought it was a .bomb issue.

I then called CS and rep told me I was over 24h and said I could only get a credit. I asked her what time ticket issued. I asked her current time. And she said it was still >24h difference.

SO, I explained the math. Then, she said, as a courtesy, she could cancel the ticket. Say what?!

She canceled ticket (and it is confirmed). I asked to know the basis for the problem, and she said thought it was a system issue. Not sure what that means, but that was a waste of time...
If I had a dollar for every "one time exception" I received from United... Also, UA does not always issue tickets immediately. You could have pressed the "buy" button and started the counter with the ticket not issuing until some time later. (I'm not sure how exactly they count the 24 hours).

Keep in mind that if they had nt refunded you, you could have taken the credit and applied it to the new day/routing you wanted with no fees or penalty.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This is a fairly common issue and happens to me from time to time with no rhyme or reason. More discussion on recent pages of this thread: Uniteds 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ....
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 3:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, EasyJet FlightClub, IHG Platinum
What's the current policy when over 24hrs? Until when can I get the credits refunded, and is there any info available on those? thanks
Old Jan 15, 2024, 4:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by spremmse
What's the current policy when over 24hrs? Until when can I get the credits refunded, and is there any info available on those? thanks
Over 24 hours, if you cancel a non-refundable ticket, you will receive future flight credits (FFC - only usable on UA tickets), generally good for 1 year from the original date of booking to start replacement travel

Use Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC) for questions on FFCs
spremmse likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 7:08 pm

I have a one way reward flight from LAX -> TYO. No return flight but pretty sure ANA won't let me board without one.
If I book a united TYO -> LAX ticket before I check in then I can just cancel it on the app for a full refund after clearing customs in Japan?
Will my phones timing weird out the app because it would technically be 24 hours later from the time-zone change?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.