Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Phantom infant and checked-in for only one leg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat

I went to check in for tomorrow's return, clicked on "View/Change Seats" and was told I'm already checked in. Strange, because I always make sure to unclick the auto-check-in for return, but ok, fine. I click on "Print Boarding Pass" and get asked for my infant's name and ID information. Only problem - there is no mini-Crispy. I can get no further with OLCI.

I'm currently already UDU'd on the 1st leg, and not showing on the UDU list for the 2nd leg. (All domestic.) I call and find out that I'm checked in for the 1st leg, but not the 2nd, because I have an infant on the 2nd leg.

This happened to me once before this year post 3/3, where a phantom infant showed up on my PNR. I couldn't OLCI. The Premier line couldn't help - if memory serves, they couldn't see any infant on my record. At the airport, the check-in agent did see it, worked a good 30 minutes on it, called support, and never did manage to get it off my record. I ended up with an extra boarding pass for the phantom infant, which was never scanned, but never seemed to cause any other problems that I heard about.

Anyone know if this is a known glitch and/or am I doing something that is causing this? (I searched, but didn't see any other posts about this.) Any suggestions other than getting to the airport early tomorrow?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I have not had this happen...so no experience or advice to give, but....

I do love the thread title....very appropriate around Halloween to be asking about a phantom infant

Good luck.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat
Well, the phantom baby continued to cause trouble, LOL.

The phone line couldn't help; tech support couldn't help; web support couldn't help. I went to the airport early, and the (very friendly) agent worked 20 minutes and finally decided that I WAS checked in, but she couldn't print a boarding pass for the 2nd leg. She could print an infant boarding pass, but nothing for me. She finally gave me a printout showing "airport check-in" and said I'd have to get the boarding pass in ORD. I'd also wanted to check my bag, but she could not get the bag tag to print.... probably a bad sign, too. Luckily, it was carry-on size.

Delayed getting into ORD, I made it to my gate just as they were about to begin boarding. They were also oversold and taking volunteers. When I made it to the agent, he insisted I was NOT checked-in, and of course I didn't have a seat. (This is now 20 minutes before flight time.) I don't know what he did, and he wasn't happy about it, but he did get me a seat (waaay in the back) so at least I got where I was going. But obviously, this problem never was fixed.

What do I do next time? I got to board this time, but clearly they just keep shoving the problem down the line. Never mind the loss of an E+ seat and any chance of a UDU, but since I was apparently never checked in, they could have denied me boarding, no? What then?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
Phantom one legged babies are everywhere, even on planes!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Phantom babies are known to fly LH F on award tickets issued by MP via the united.com site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.