Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United weigh upgrades by actual miles?

Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum

I apologize in advance if this is a newbie question, new to the whole travel world and just started focusing on getting the most out of my time away from home...

I fly out of Buffalo, NY and typically book with less than 1 months notice, all over the US except west coast, Mexico, Europe, and Asia. I have flown 73,000 miles as of today on United this year and will be over 75k after next week.

So far I will admit I have not spent TOO much time on fare classes, specific segments, etc. But have started to the last 15k or so. I travel on the companies dime, not heavily regulated but if it looks TOO out of line it will get checked so booking first directly is almost never going to be an option.

Since my travel is fairly last minute with strict dates upgrades are very important to me vs some of the other perks (as I'm sure it is for everyone else).

Have not had ANY luck so far being upgraded domestically, and was just upgraded on Taipei to Narita, but nothing rest of the way through (NArita to Ohare to Buff).

My first question is do they weigh the statuses the same or will a 85k trump a 76k? Or does the fare factors come into play prior to that?

Second is, given my home base, and frequency of overseas travel, does anyone feel that US air is a better choice for my travel?

Thanks for any and all input in advance.. ^
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Status, not miles flown, then fare.

Domestic and some shorthaul international upgrades are complimentary, longhaul upgrades must be supported (miles+copay or GPUs).

I think you'll see a lot better upgrade rate as plat/1K than gold, I certainly do.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
Thanks, the problem for me is the co-pays are hard to expense upfront is no problem, but on the back end is a little sticky.. Do you know of a way to add on the "supported" upgrades at time of purchase?

I see you're in Houston so I assume that's why you've chosen UA... With my location, United or USA are both viable options and trying to figure out who has better upgrade policies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.