Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chance IAD-SFO/SFO-IAD (B777)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PG, Hyatt Plat, SPG, AAadvantage
CPU Chances on IAD-LAX 777 TCON

So I'll be flying on Sat, 8 SEP on the IAD-LAX 777 service. I was wondering what people's experiences were in landing a CPU post 3/3 on this route. I'm a Gold flying on a K fare, so it'd be 20k miles to upgrade. Since it's my birthday I don't want to sit in the back, and for a C seat, it might be worth it, but I wouldn't mind a birthday gift from UA if possible.

My current thoughts are to wait until my t-48 window, and if I don't get a CPU, throw myself on the waitlist w/ miles.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 7:16 pm

udustats.com can give you some insight.

As a reference, I recently purchased a ticket @ T-4 days from IAD-LAX (1K on S fare), flight on a Tuesday, upgraded at T-24 hours. Four J seats empty but likely due to UA systemwide glitch.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
As a Gold on a K fare? Pretty much 0% I'd say.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:31 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Unless MP miles are burning a hole in your wallet I don't think it's worth 20K for the upgrade.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: United GS, HHonors Diamond
Given the number of C seats on that aircraft, you'd think that it is a good shot at the upgrade. However, in my experience it can be very tough to get. As a 1k, I've missed it several times.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Why don't you see what the buy up cost is first before using miles. You probably have a buy up offer now but it will change 10 times before departure. I think the regular buy up I've seen for trans cons is around $400 but it might go down.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I would use your miles and upgrade. Checking UDUStats.com is OK but I'm not sure folks have been updating it as much as they have in the past. As a 1K I used always get UDU'd but since 3/3 those rates have come down substantial. Use the instrument to move yourself up in the upgrade queue.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mallodi
So I'll be flying on Sat, 8 SEP on the IAD-LAX 777 service. I was wondering what people's experiences were in landing a CPU post 3/3 on this route. I'm a Gold flying on a K fare, so it'd be 20k miles to upgrade. Since it's my birthday I don't want to sit in the back, and for a C seat, it might be worth it, but I wouldn't mind a birthday gift from UA if possible.

My current thoughts are to wait until my t-48 window, and if I don't get a CPU, throw myself on the waitlist w/ miles.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.
In my estimation on a Saturday you do have a very good shot. There was a HUGE glut of instruments out there that were skewing the UDU numbers. There are still a bunch but not nearly what there was earlier in the year. I have seen PremExecs getting that particular upgrade quite a lot lately. I flew 3 weeks ago on that route and I got the UG at the window and my 2 travel companions (each on his/her own ticket and both Gold) got it at the gate with about 15 others. It was kind of a zoo as they all went up to get their new BPs. UDUs are always a risk but on that AC I would take it. It is not that bad in the back if you get a good seat and it is NOT worth 20K to upgrade in my opinion. Your mileage may of course vary.

AvidFlyer-
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:50 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I flew UA967 this past Saturday and used a RPU, which cleared at booking (a few months out). I ran into a 1K friend of mine on the flight who had cleared using CPU/UDU. F and C were 100% full and Y had a few empties.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PG, Hyatt Plat, SPG, AAadvantage
Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Thanks especially to those of you who shared their recent experiences.

I think I'm going to play the CPU lottery. I can't really justify 20k miles when those could really help towards another trip. If I get the CPU it will be a nice birthday gift from UA, and if not, I'll have to make sure I bring some drink chits with me.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP - you should hope that will not do a 777 music chair that UA swaps a domestic 777.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avidflyer
In my estimation on a Saturday you do have a very good shot. There was a HUGE glut of instruments out there that were skewing the UDU numbers. There are still a bunch but not nearly what there was earlier in the year.
The glut of instruments will last all the way through this year, as all legacy 1Ks (not new 1Ks last year) were earning RPUs in both the "old" and "new" ways.

Starting in Jan, not looking forward to the thought of relying on CPU all the time w/o hardly any RPUs. AA, however, hmmm....
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I've not cleared this route on this equipment post 3/3. TONS of YCA discount fares into and out of IAD usually means R availability is scarce 4 days out...

Originally Posted by mallodi:19223135
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Thanks especially to those of you who shared their recent experiences.

I think I'm going to play the CPU lottery. I can't really justify 20k miles when those could really help towards another trip. If I get the CPU it will be a nice birthday gift from UA, and if not, I'll have to make sure I bring some drink chits with me.

Thanks again.
If you don't get the CPU on the IPTE version, be sure to check for open seats in the middle of the back of E+. Those are flight attendant rest seats that are open to passengers on domestic flights. Lots of extra legroom and even a footrest to boot!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The glut of instruments will last all the way through this year, as all legacy 1Ks (not new 1Ks last year) were earning RPUs in both the "old" and "new" ways.
Yes, but that's somewhat tempered with the many 1Ks who have left.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by channa
Yes, but that's somewhat tempered with the many 1Ks who have left.
You have ABSOLUTELY no proof that that is the case. SAME goes for GS. SHOW me the data otherwise I don't believe it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.