Upgrade Chance IAD-SFO/SFO-IAD (B777)

Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:06 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You have ABSOLUTELY no proof that that is the case. SAME goes for GS. SHOW me the data otherwise I don't believe it.

This GS with lots of 1K+ friends knows a lot of people who have expressed frustration, but know absolutely no one that has left.

Well, except for that pitiful "What I could've spent on UA" thread - but I don't really "know" them.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The positives are that it's a Saturday.

The negatives are that this is routinely swapped for "lesser" aircraft, the availability of Y/B/M-UP's which mean that a Silver on a B beats OP as do any elites on a government (YCA) fare.

This is a route where GS routinely sit in back and where there is a substantial amount of paid F/C, so don't be upset if it doesn't work.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA1K
the saturday after labor day is a plus too...i'd say you have a good shot
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:13 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
I've not cleared this route on this equipment post 3/3. TONS of YCA discount fares into and out of IAD usually means R availability is scarce 4 days out...
There is absolutely NO evidence that YCA is killing R availability. IAD-LAX, especially on the 777, was hard to get UDUs under PMUA.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K,Hyatt Diamond,AA Lifetime Platinum,SPG
I think gold with K has little chance even on Sat. It is better to use your miles to upgrade.

Originally Posted by mallodi
So I'll be flying on Sat, 8 SEP on the IAD-LAX 777 service. I was wondering what people's experiences were in landing a CPU post 3/3 on this route. I'm a Gold flying on a K fare, so it'd be 20k miles to upgrade. Since it's my birthday I don't want to sit in the back, and for a C seat, it might be worth it, but I wouldn't mind a birthday gift from UA if possible.

My current thoughts are to wait until my t-48 window, and if I don't get a CPU, throw myself on the waitlist w/ miles.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA PG, Hyatt Plat, SPG, AAadvantage
Cleared! - A birthday gift from UA

Hi all,

If anyone was wondering this is the OP here and my CPU cleared during the T-36 sweep.

Now let's just hope there are no equipment swaps and that we land on time - I've got a birthday party to go to!

Thanks again to everyone who put in their $0.02.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by jambajuice
I think gold with K has little chance even on Sat. It is better to use your miles to upgrade.
i disagree. saturday is probably one of the best days for an ug on the 777.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by mallodi
Hi all,

If anyone was wondering this is the OP here and my CPU cleared during the T-36 sweep.

Now let's just hope there are no equipment swaps and that we land on time - I've got a birthday party to go to!

Thanks again to everyone who put in their $0.02.
Well, isn't that a nice birthday present? ^

I hope you pick a nice seat and by all means avoid the middle ones, if at all possible.

I'd also suggest getting to the IAD early enough to enjoy the Lufthansa Senator Lounge in Terminal B; be sure and bring your Gold Elite card!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mh3265a
There is absolutely NO evidence that YCA is killing R availability. IAD-LAX, especially on the 777, was hard to get UDUs under PMUA.
YCA fares slaughter all upgrade availability. Is this post for real?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was checking into a IAD-LAX flight and it appears the 777 will be gone in November.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:53 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tann1001
Given the number of C seats on that aircraft, you'd think that it is a good shot at the upgrade. However, in my experience it can be very tough to get. As a 1k, I've missed it several times.
It used to be the easiest of the transcons for me. I've missed it several times this year, though. Would have cleared most recently had they not cancelled the earlier A320 (which took away 12C seats as they reaccomodated the A320's pax); as it was, I finished 5th out of about 73 on the list.

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Was checking into a IAD-LAX flight and it appears the 777 will be gone in November.
On the upside, it will be showing up on IAD-SFO.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
confirmed as I had an itinerary for Thanksgiving that was booked originally to get on the 777 domestic flight, but it got swapped on my itinerary to a 757-300.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fragment54
But how many YCAs are taken on Saturdays?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fragment54
And we know this how? Because as it has been said time and time again:

1) travelers are required to book the lowest contract fare, which in IADLAX is not a YCA

2) reservations are for the most part not ticketed until 3 days out, which would suggest that potentially most upgrades for 1K, Platinum, Gold have been processed

3) also should note that clearly UA is restricting upgrades because the lowest contract fares book into W or U instead of M, which removes the ability for 1K/Platinum to upgrade in advance
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UG's are not being slaughtered. What's being slaightered are CPU's. With a bit of picking & choosing I have yet to have a problem booking directly into F with an -UP fare.

The change is that a 1K on one of the deep discounts is beat out by a Silver in B.

I do suspect that IAD is one of those stations where there is likely some abuse of YCA because there are many senior government officials who control their travel directly and indirectly a great deal more than the average GS type.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.