Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

For the first time in 32 years as a United customer, I am insulted by Cabin Crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For the first time in 32 years as a United customer, I am insulted by Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

I am insulted by a member of the cabin crew within 90 seconds of stepping on my first sCO flight.. Mods, please move this message to whichever thread about smarmy, condescending sCO employees you see fit.

Traveling ORD-LGA today, I could have booked any flight I wanted but chose a sCO flight to see for myself what I assume a lot of my flying out of ORD was going to be like with the recent influx of 737s and 753s. I had hoped it wouldn't be as bad reported by all the CO haters out there.

I was seated in 2F, which I had confirmed using an RPU (since I basically don't get upgraded on my own anymore) and I got on towards the end of boarding. The GA told me to take my roll aboard on since I was sitting up front, but the FAs at the door disagreed and said they would need to gate check.

Lo and behold, one FA found a huge space in the bin above my seat, but I got confused when I saw there was someone sitting where I had been assigned. She said "we moved you around" and I must have looked upset because she snapped back at me "It's such a big deal, isn't it?" I replied that because I am tall, I don't book bulkheads. After I am uncomfortably seated in 1A (23 minutes before departure) I heard the FA complaining about me to a colleague in the galley. And as my fellow travelers enjoyed their PDB for several more minutes, I was punitively not offered one.

Not an auspicious introduction to the other half of the new United.

Toes crammed against the bulkhead and crappy seat digging into my lumbar,
jsl42

Last edited by jsl42; Oct 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm Reason: incomplete thread title
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Sorry about the incident - I would have stood in the aisle until I was in my assigned seat

Not too surprising though that they'd see everyone in the F cabin as equals, and you being last on board, had to live by whatever questionable logic they went through with a seat swap
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Sorry about the incident - I would have stood in the aisle until I was in my assigned seat
^^
+1
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Sorry to hear that! I have learned my lesson and I avoid all CO flights! The CO FA's tend to be angry working ORD flights. Every ORD CO crew has been rude and service has been fast and bad! I've noticed flights from IAH, do not get this treatment! So no more ORD CO flights for me! Plenty of UA flights on that route, I suggest you don't fly a CO bird if you don't have too..

Also, did you get the proud to be CO crew on this flight??? That is usually the tip before the flight.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
You've got to speak up and ask to sit where you were booked.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Sorry to hear that! I have learned my lesson and I avoid all CO flights! The CO FA's tend to be angry working ORD flights. Every ORD CO crew has been rude and service has been fast and bad! I've noticed flights from IAH, do not get this treatment! So no more ORD CO flights for me! Plenty of UA flights on that route, I suggest you don't fly a CO bird if you don't have too..

Also, did you get the proud to be CO crew on this flight??? That is usually the tip before the flight.
No CO crew announcement, which was something of a shock. Maybe they know better on ORD-LGA. The pilot couldn't be bothered to account for the time change when making announcements, though. Also, beverage served before rather than during meal, which is preferable. Man those uniforms are ugly, too!

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
You've got to speak up and ask to sit where you were booked.
I didn't want to make a scene. The callous FA made one instead! So much for Texas hospitality.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:18 pm

I assume that the individual in 2F wanted to be seated next to the passenger in 2E.

In a similar situation where I was asked to accept the bulkhead 1A for my 2A seat, I counter offered that 2A (the squatter) and 2B move to the bulkhead knowing that the 1B would pounce on the proposal. 2A and 2B reluctantly accepted and were quite disappointed, but in my book, they need to pay the price to sit together, not me.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I assume that the individual in 2F wanted to be seated next to the passenger in 2E.

In a similar situation where I was asked to accept the bulkhead 1A for my 2A seat, I counter offered that 2A (the squatter) and 2B move to the bulkhead knowing that the 1B would pounce on the proposal. 2A and 2B reluctantly accepted and were quite disappointed, but in my book, they need to pay the price to sit together, not me.
^ This is what I suggested on an LAS-EWR redeye a year ago (and what actually happened)...no way I was moving to the bulkhead on that flight
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Not all tall people dislike the bulkhead. I'm 6'2 and prefer bulkhead aisle, especially on an airbus.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Not all tall people dislike the bulkhead. I'm 6'2 and prefer bulkhead aisle, especially on an airbus.
Do you mean bulkhead in Y?
We are talking about bulkhead in F.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Now you know why I'm a gate louse. Never had a single issue because I'm one of the first to board.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Not all tall people dislike the bulkhead.
Your point??? I don't believe anyone suggested that they do.

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:38 pm

Irrelevant. The OP's main point is that he wasn't allowed to sit in his assigned seat, along with the poor attitude of the FA.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler.
Yet another "first world problem". (:-)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ErikStratton
Yet another "first world problem". (:-)
Yes, air travel is very much a first world phenomenon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.