Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

For the first time in 32 years as a United customer, I am insulted by Cabin Crew

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

For the first time in 32 years as a United customer, I am insulted by Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
In a similar situation where I was asked to accept the bulkhead 1A for my 2A seat, I counter offered that 2A (the squatter) and 2B move to the bulkhead knowing that the 1B would pounce on the proposal. 2A and 2B reluctantly accepted and were quite disappointed, but in my book, they need to pay the price to sit together, not me.
Bulkhead seats in F on the sCO 737s and 753s are an entirely different animal compared with those on the sUA domestic fleet (where you get to experience the joys of having your legs contorted to fit in the minuscule space in front of you and feel the headrest jammed into your back).
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by star_world
Bulkhead seats in F on the sCO 737s and 753s are an entirely different animal compared with those on the sUA domestic fleet (where you get to experience the joys of having your legs contorted to fit in the minuscule space in front of you and feel the headrest jammed into your back).
They're still restricted

And the headrest is the best part about the seat, with additional degrees of movement over the CO boxy seats (but that's been debated to death already)
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
bulkhead F is the pits -- only acceptable bulkhead domestic F seats I've ever flown in were on the NW 752 and 753. They had *HUGE* cutouts in the wall, to the point where even when I slouched (I'm 6'4"), I could barely touch the back of them.
UA and CO aircraft F bulkheads really are uncomfortable for more than 90 minutes or so.

No way would I have allowed someone to simply tell me to switch.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Sorry to hear that! I have learned my lesson and I avoid all CO flights! The CO FA's tend to be angry working ORD flights. Every ORD CO crew has been rude and service has been fast and bad! I've noticed flights from IAH, do not get this treatment! So no more ORD CO flights for me! Plenty of UA flights on that route, I suggest you don't fly a CO bird if you don't have too..

Also, did you get the proud to be CO crew on this flight??? That is usually the tip before the flight.

I had a fine experience LGA-ORD r/t this week with CO crew.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:55 am Reason: Inappropriate personal comment deleted per rules
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by star_world
I don't know, I think they're both horrible enough to be avoided entirely.

Headrest complaining may be a cute Karl Rove-like tactic of attacking where you're weak (since the CO seats outright don't have this feature), but I've never even thought of my shoulder blades "hurting" when flying in 1) Any UA intl. business class cabin in the last ten years 2) Any p.s. business class cabin 3) Any domestic First cabin. I'm 6'2" and I'm truly baffled by this - would you turn down riding in F because you have to wear a shoulder restraint during taxi and landing?. Fyi, the 3 hawaii 777s taken off ipte are being rolled out with these very same seats.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I would have insisted on me seat. Politely but inflexibly.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Not all tall people dislike the bulkhead. I'm 6'2 and prefer bulkhead aisle, especially on an airbus.
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Now you know why I'm a gate louse. Never had a single issue because I'm one of the first to board.
+1. Aisle for aisle, this is not that big of an issue... Aisle for window is a diff. Story....

... And I thought DL medallions felt entitled!!!!!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
+1. Aisle for aisle, this is not that big of an issue... Aisle for window is a diff. Story....

... And I thought DL medallions felt entitled!!!!!
Sorry, aisle for aisle this is that big of an issue if you're tall.

Most UA/CO F bulkhead is tighter than DL F bulkhead. It's to the point where my knees almost touch the bulkhead and my size 14 feet are uncomfortably tucked underneath them.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:33 pm

Curious, has anyone had their seat taken away by a CO crew and successfully fought to get it back?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Not all tall people dislike the bulkhead. I'm 6'2 and prefer bulkhead aisle, especially on an airbus.
that isn't the point.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GBadger
bulkhead F is the pits -- only acceptable bulkhead domestic F seats I've ever flown in were on the NW 752 and 753. They had *HUGE* cutouts in the wall, to the point where even when I slouched (I'm 6'4"), I could barely touch the back of them.
UA and CO aircraft F bulkheads really are uncomfortable for more than 90 minutes or so.

No way would I have allowed someone to simply tell me to switch.
Ther are some 757s (I'm not sure if it's the CO 753 or the UA 752) that have a huge cutout in the bulk head at 1AB.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Curious, has anyone had their seat taken away by a CO crew and successfully fought to get it back?
It was not cabin crew but rather a gate agent. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...your-seat.html Got an equivalent seat back.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Actually, 1B in a 739 is the best seat in the house as far as leg room.

Unfortunately the OP does not indicate how late he boarded the plane. I really have no sympathy for people who board planes late; mea culpa. You know the boarding time (it is printed at the boarding pass), you know that group 1 boards about 2-5 minutes after that unless there is a delay, so you know when you should be boarding not to have any problems. And if the OP boarded within 10 minutes from take off time, I think that he should consider himself lucky to have that upgraded seat (which should had been released at that time to the standby customers) or any seat in that flight for that matter. And this is the first leg. No connection issues.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE

Unfortunately the OP does not indicate how late he boarded the plane. I really have no sympathy for people who board planes late; mea culpa. You know the boarding time (it is printed at the boarding pass), you know that group 1 boards about 2-5 minutes after that unless there is a delay, so you know when you should be boarding not to have any problems. And if the OP boarded within 10 minutes from take off time, I think that he should consider himself lucky to have that upgraded seat (which should had been released at that time to the standby customers) or any seat in that flight for that matter. And this is the first leg. No connection issues.
OP indicated he boarded towards the end of boarding. Just because he didn't board with Group 1 doesn't mean he loses his assigned seat. This isn't a case of "gee, group 2 is boarding, so I can claim squatter's right to any open seat in 1st". Sounds like the FAs opted to allow passengers to switch before boarding was completed, which is not against the rules, but if a passenger shows up with an assigned seat, he has the right to that seat. This does not sound like a case where the gate staff switched people, which would be the result of a late arrival.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE

Hey! Hey! Hey!
The Op is a 1K and was upgraded using an RPU. He doesn't need advice from you on when and how to get on an airplane. Do around 30 --- 4 segment MR's a year and see how fast you want to get on your next flight. The OP can board whenever he wants as long as the GA is still @the reader and his assigned seat should not be given away to anyone without asking him first.
Talking behind my back in the galley would have been a reason for further discussion, BTW!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.