Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by MaineMan
I wonder if the XN means that I got that segment as a reward seat only because I am Elite? You know how it says "Elite customers may receive better ...results by loggin in at this time." when searching for reward seats?
Right. The website books into the non-Elite class whenever possible. If that's not available, they book into the Elite class. So if you're in the Elite class, then that means the non-Elite class was not available.

Originally Posted by MaineMan
After reading many cases here where people did not get their XN segments upgraded (or even put on the list), I called today CO to get the two of four segments that were booked XN to become X. The agent did not know of any problem with XN, even asked his supervisor. Both of them felt that leaving it in XN would be better, since that indicates I am Elite. I still had them change all segments to X.
CO has not acknowledged this alleged bug. And there have been reported issues with X class as well, so while this may be a bug, it may not be the only bug.

But there's anecdotal evidence to suggest that switching from XN to X may help.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Strange, because I am traveling on CO1179 today, YN reward ticket, CO/UA Gold, and I have the MileagePlus Explorer card on my profile. I received an upgrade 3 days ago. I would check your CO profile and make sure it is updated correctly with your Presidential Plus CC number, exp date, security code correctly. In the past, I haven't been on the list, and I updated my CO profile, and now it worked for me. Just a thought.

And PS, they don't do anything for you at the airport. Be prepared to be disappointed.

About to test this out in a week-- I also have the MileagePlus Explorer card (thought that the elite upgrades on award tickets was a benefit when I got it in November, not realizing it would not be effective until March!).

Are you saying you don't have a CO OnePass Plus or Presidential Plus card, just the MP+ Explorer card?

Do you just have it in your profile as a saved form of payment? There's no special drop down choice (like for the CO card), so mine just shows up as "Visa". Is there some other way we need to associate the card with our CO account to get the upgrades?

I have applied for the other card just in case for my upcoming award flights... probably won't get bonus miles but a few award upgrades would be worth the hard pull.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Has anyone been upgraded from XN class recently? Just checking since I have some flights coming up in XN class and although I don't mind calling, I don't look forward to the possibility of having to listen to the extended speech about the difference between X and XN class and how it shouldn't affect the upgrade chances, blah--blah--blah....and then after 15 minutes I call back and try again
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Has anyone been upgraded from XN class recently? Just checking since I have some flights coming up in XN class and although I don't mind calling, I don't look forward to the possibility of having to listen to the extended speech about the difference between X and XN class and how it shouldn't affect the upgrade chances, blah--blah--blah....and then after 15 minutes I call back and try again
I've called in about 3 different award reservations, with 3 different reps-- no problem getting it switched. I just say I want to switch to X from XN because I have the credit card that provides elite upgrades, but have issues with XN and getting on the list. Usually done within a few minutes and off the phone.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transparent
I've called in about 3 different award reservations, with 3 different reps-- no problem getting it switched. I just say I want to switch to X from XN because I have the credit card that provides elite upgrades, but have issues with XN and getting on the list. Usually done within a few minutes and off the phone.
Sweet...do you have a direct line to those agents? Have they been able to switch to X if only XN was available?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:11 pm

Sweet...do you have a direct line to those agents? Have they been able to switch to X if only XN was available?
no problem with just any agent I got from the elite line. No idea about the if only XN is available, so far it's just make the request, tap tap tap and it's done.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No luck switching from XN to X for me today :(

Just called today about an XN flight and she seemed willing to change it but X was not available and, oddly enough, even said that it would cost me more miles So, the moral of the story is that the flight should probably be at least X1 before they can make the change....my wife is in X and I am in XN (separate PNRs but each elite primary Chase card holders) so this will be a nice "check" of the sytem....we are also on some mainline UA flights showing as "X" on Continental's website and since it will be well after the March 3rd switcheroo, it will be interesting to see if any of the UA metal flights get EUA'd....
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
OnePass Plus noobs here:

We recently took our first reward flight on a CO 737, SaverClass economy from ITO to LAX, XN fare code. Coach was essentially full, except for the extra legroom - $89 each. On the morning of travel, there were 7 seats in first, we were offered upgrades for $129 (presumably due to our "Elite" credit card status). As it was a packed redeye, with a flight time of just under 5 hours, we decided to bite the bullet, pay for the upgrades. At time of departure, first was full - CORRECT MOVE?

Our next reward trip is scheduled for mid Sept 2012, from TLV to SAN, through EWR on CO - also SaverClass economy, XN fare code. The first, 12+ hour leg is in a 777-200, then 5+ hours on a 737-800, no SC biz seats have been available for the entire month of September, extra legroom seats are currently $129 each. I have been checking SC biz availablity a few times per week, NOTHING is available for the ENTIRE month, even on partner carriers.
1. Is it reasonable to expect 2 SC biz seats to become available between now and then? If so, when might that occur?
2. What is the likelyhood of a paid upgrade? When will that be made available - 24, 48 or 72 hours prior to departure? If yes, any idea of the cost?

TIA
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
OnePass Plus noobs here:

We recently took our first reward flight on a CO 737, SaverClass economy from ITO to LAX, XN fare code. Coach was essentially full, except for the extra legroom - $89 each. On the morning of travel, there were 7 seats in first, we were offered upgrades for $129 (presumably due to our "Elite" credit card status). As it was a packed redeye, with a flight time of just under 5 hours, we decided to bite the bullet, pay for the upgrades. At time of departure, first was full - CORRECT MOVE?

Our next reward trip is scheduled for mid Sept 2012, from TLV to SAN, through EWR on CO - also SaverClass economy, XN fare code. The first, 12+ hour leg is in a 777-200, then 5+ hours on a 737-800, no SC biz seats have been available for the entire month of September, extra legroom seats are currently $129 each. I have been checking SC biz availablity a few times per week, NOTHING is available for the ENTIRE month, even on partner carriers.
1. Is it reasonable to expect 2 SC biz seats to become available between now and then? If so, when might that occur?
2. What is the likelyhood of a paid upgrade? When will that be made available - 24, 48 or 72 hours prior to departure? If yes, any idea of the cost?

TIA
As an elite Pass Plus member, you should have been on the upgrade list, were you? If your fare code was XN, then this could explain part of the upgrade problem.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:35 pm

As an elite Pass Plus member, you should have been on the upgrade list, were you? If your fare code was XN, then this could explain part of the upgrade problem.
No idea if I was on the upgrade list - how is this determined? We paid for the upgrade online, 14 hours before the flight, so there was no reason to ask at the airport.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
No idea if I was on the upgrade list - how is this determined? We paid for the upgrade online, 14 hours before the flight, so there was no reason to ask at the airport.
I assumed since you posted in the Chase reward ticket upgrade thread that you were hoping for an upgrade as an elite on an award ticket (one of the new perks of the card) although your profile doesn't say you are an elite so maybe it was a good idea to buy up to F....you should be able to check the upgrade list online after you check-in at continental.com
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:33 pm

I assumed since you posted in the Chase reward ticket upgrade thread that you were hoping for an upgrade as an elite on an award ticket (one of the new perks of the card) although your profile doesn't say you are an elite so maybe it was a good idea to buy up to F....you should be able to check the upgrade list online after you check-in at continental.com
Thanks - we are both CO Elites based on separate OnePass Plus cards, not revenue travel.

Just found a link that answers the rest of my questions: http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...dUpgrades.aspx
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:12 am

Award ticket for friend on my miles not on list

Update on my situation-- I had to fly from a different airport and bought a revenue ticket. I had originally also booked a miles ticket for my friend using my miles and with an MP+ Explorer card, and made sure all segments were X.

I thought:

1) my friend should "inherit" my elite status
2) show up on the upgrade list
3) receive EUA at my upgrade window

Looks like for some things #1 is true, they were able to check bags and select a preferred seat for free.

BUT they are not on the upgrade list for either leg, even though the ticket is X, and probably should have received an EUA at the five day window.

Did I misunderstand how this works?

I used the MP+ Explorer card to pay taxes on the reward ticket-- but how does CO know I have the card and should receive the benefit? Can they tell from the number? Must I use the card to pay or just be a cardholder to receive benefits?

Also is there any use asking for upgrade at the airport? Reports seem a bit mixed on the airport issue.

Last edited by transparent; Feb 17, 2012 at 2:37 am
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by transparent
Update on my situation-- I had to fly from a different airport and bought a revenue ticket. I had originally also booked a miles ticket for my friend using my miles and with an MP+ Explorer card, and made sure all segments were X.

I thought:

1) my friend should "inherit" my elite status
2) show up on the upgrade list
3) receive EUA at my upgrade window

Looks like for some things #1 is true, they were able to check bags and select a preferred seat for free.

BUT they are not on the upgrade list for either leg, even though the ticket is X, and probably should have received an EUA at the five day window.

Did I misunderstand how this works?

I used the MP+ Explorer card to pay taxes on the reward ticket-- but how does CO know I have the card and should receive the benefit? Can they tell from the number? Must I use the card to pay or just be a cardholder to receive benefits?

Also is there any use asking for upgrade at the airport? Reports seem a bit mixed on the airport issue.

They're not supposed to inherit your status, it's a system limitation in CO's systems that the award ticket purchaser's FFN and status show up on the traveller's record.

As such, they inherit your status.

There are multiple bugs at play with award tickets and credit cards where it doesn't always recognize the status (there's an XN vs. X issue as well as regular X issue that come up from time to time). That may be going on here, or it's possible that the MP Explorer Card doesn't yet provide this benefit.

Anyhow, the point is that since it's not supposed to happen, it's just a limitation, it's not something that's promised or guaranteed. That means that if the automation isn't working, you really have no recourse because it's a benefit the traveller is not supposed to get anyway.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
frustrated with one pass plus upgrade

My wife and I recently got back from Hawaii and wanted to share the frustration with getting upgrades. I followed the recommendations in this thread and had our flights changed to x class. this was done with the help desk stating that there were glitches with the system even with x class. I should point out that both my wife and I are gold and both have our own one pass plus card.

We tried to work it out over the phone on several occassions to make sure everyhting was coded correctly and would get answers varying form it can't be done to it can only be done for presidential plus to no problem its all taken care of.

At the 72 hour window we called again and were advised that there was nothing that could be done. I then made a copy of the website stating the upgrade reward policy. Our flight was FLL-IAH-LAX-ITO. At FLL the lounge person had no clue but really seemed to try and finally said it was all taken care of. We checked again at IAH and the lounge person found it wasn't done, said it couldn't be done, finally agreed it should be able to be done and was able to accomplish it. By then they were no upgrade seats on the IAH-LAX flight.

Checking in again at the lounge in LAX we were told we were on standby but when we checked our email saw that we had in fact been upgraded. (this miscommunication had something to do with our trying to get the information from the United lounge which was using their system it appeared.)

The major problem appeared to be no one could figure out how to do it for two people with both their own gold status and their own one pass plus cards travelling on the same record.

Anyhow has anyone received any compensation (miles) for not being upgraded at the appropriate window when there were seats available to upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.