Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
So the question is, if you're holding an XN fare, can it be converted to X (if you find the right agent who's both willing and able to do so) at any time, or must an X class seat be available in order to do so? If it can theoretically be changed at any time, then I might have to just start bombarding them with calls.
Has anyone actually received the EUA on XN fare yet??
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:08 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by channa
Is your wife on the same return as you?
Yes, our tickets are identical, we booked them completely together on my miles, and then split the PNR for upgrades.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
So the question is, if you're holding an XN fare, can it be converted to X (if you find the right agent who's both willing and able to do so) at any time, or must an X class seat be available in order to do so? If it can theoretically be changed at any time, then I might have to just start bombarding them with calls.
Sorry for the back to back (again)...

When XN was open but not X 3 agents refused to change me. Agent no 4 changed me, but both were at 0 then.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by Red_Rob
Sorry for the back to back (again)...

When XN was open but not X 3 agents refused to change me. Agent no 4 changed me, but both were at 0 then.
that's interesting - I didn't think a change was even possible unless X inventory exists. Given your response which indicates this doesn't have to be the case, in the future I'll hold a reservation online, then call .com support to ticket and insist they convert it at the time of ticketing. In my experience, the .com agents tend to be the most knowledgeable and helpful, even more so than the elite line.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:47 pm

After getting my XN changed to X 2 days prior to the flight it upgraded me on the next sweep (return booked in X cleared at 120 hrs). Wife booked with my miles has no upgrades, I think that is correct (although I wished they hadn't fixed that one yet)
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:29 pm

After getting my XN changed to X 2 days prior to the flight it upgraded me on the next sweep (return booked in X cleared at 120 hrs). Wife booked with my miles has no upgrades, I think that is correct (although I wished they hadn't fixed that one yet)
does she have any X or Y fares?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
does she have any X or Y fares?
Yes, she does have an X fare back. After checking in she is not on the visible upgrade list (for her XN segment). There is no-one on the upgrade standby list (checked in)
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:01 pm

Yes, she does have an X fare back. After checking in she is not on the visible upgrade list (for her XN segment). There is no-one on the upgrade standby list (checked in)
Let us know how the X fare back turns out -- I have my entire family on X and XN buckets for a trip.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Mrs. donnyb just flew yesterday on an XN fare, Pres + cardholder, Co Gold.

Was not EUA'ed in advance, with F wide open (8 of 16 F seats taken at 2 hours before flight, all of those upgrades were EUA's).

Was upgraded manually after request at the airport.
duh...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Only one person, and it will be the OP, can be upgraded on an award/CC combo.

And if OP has a paid ticket and other using OP miles is on same flight only OP will get upgraded.

Multiple award tickets same flight - No OP - only one upgrade.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by mnmme
Only one person, and it will be the OP, can be upgraded on an award/CC combo.

And if OP has a paid ticket and other using OP miles is on same flight only OP will get upgraded.

Multiple award tickets same flight - No OP - only one upgrade.
While this is technically the rule, there's a loop hole (for a long time) that propagates elite benefits to the issued award ticket (i.e. if I bought an reward ticket for my mom, she would have the same benefits). There are also a few reports seen on here where friends and family have been upgraded on reward tickets via EUA or battlefield because the member is elite and has the CC card.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Not on upgrade list with reward ticket?

On CO91 on Saturday flying a YN and am Gold with Pres Plus. i checked in this AM and not on the upgrade list. Called the elite line who confirmed I should be on this list but informed me it would only occur at the airport and not before. She said it was a glitch? Any thoughts?

Doesn't look like much availability so it may be moot. But would like to see this work.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by edcho
While this is technically the rule, there's a loop hole (for a long time) that propagates elite benefits to the issued award ticket (i.e. if I bought an reward ticket for my mom, she would have the same benefits). There are also a few reports seen on here where friends and family have been upgraded on reward tickets via EUA or battlefield because the member is elite and has the CC card.
In the past when she flew on my reward miles the BP would show my status. Today it showed hers instead (Silver), so it looks like they have fully closed that loophole. It also did not offer her free change to other flights at checkin, while it did for me (changes to a reward ticket using a Plat or above miles should always be free right?)
Old Dec 23, 2011, 7:27 am

In the past when she flew on my reward miles the BP would show my status. Today it showed hers instead (Silver), so it looks like they have fully closed that loophole. It also did not offer her free change to other flights at checkin, while it did for me (changes to a reward ticket using a Plat or above miles should always be free right?)
Was she flying on CO metal with a CO Issued ticket?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by tonyflysco
On CO91 on Saturday flying a YN and am Gold with Pres Plus. i checked in this AM and not on the upgrade list. Called the elite line who confirmed I should be on this list but informed me it would only occur at the airport and not before. She said it was a glitch? Any thoughts?

Doesn't look like much availability so it may be moot. But would like to see this work.
Strange, because I am traveling on CO1179 today, YN reward ticket, CO/UA Gold, and I have the MileagePlus Explorer card on my profile. I received an upgrade 3 days ago. I would check your CO profile and make sure it is updated correctly with your Presidential Plus CC number, exp date, security code correctly. In the past, I haven't been on the list, and I updated my CO profile, and now it worked for me. Just a thought.

And PS, they don't do anything for you at the airport. Be prepared to be disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.