Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"A copy of the doctor's note on official letterhead is required"

Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM

Really?

Curious -- just what exactly *ARE* the requirements for a medical reimbursement? All I have are the physicians instructions (which, by the way contains hospital and physician information) given to me the night of my injury *signed* by the physician.

"Official letterhead" is not something I considered at the time, nor was I informed of such when I cancelled the reservation.

Is there really that much fraud for "medical cancellations?"

How does one go about procuring said items after the fact?

<straw>
<camel>
<back>
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Just call and ask, it's probably a fairly common request. They will scribble something on either a letterhead paper or something the size of a prescription pad and fax or send it to you.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Absolutely routine. We do this all the time to request "fit for work" letters after someone's been on sick leave. They probably spit them out by the dozens.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Kind of with UA on this one....

I require my employees notes from doctors to be on the doctors letterhead.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:53 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
In our office it takes a few clicks of a mouse and someone signs the form after it's printed. Both for to return to work or as an excuse from school for students.

EmailKid
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cordelli
Just call and ask, it's probably a fairly common request. They will scribble something on either a letterhead paper or something the size of a prescription pad and fax or send it to you.
Reecentky did this. The doctor said ask the staff on the way out. I did, they asked what I wanted it to say and two days later received the letter. Doctors are very used to doing this for a variety of reasons. Believe they need a letterhead, basic facts on ability to travel and signature.
Just call the office and ask for a letter.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
We got the note on a Rx pad last time when we needed the medical waiver.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not that a bright 16-year old couldn't create "official letterhead" but many transactions which require a given professional's opinion or order are required to be on stationery.

Any doc's office ought to be able to spit this out and PDF it to you before you hang up the phone.

BTW - What's stationery?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I can't imagine not having enough trust in the people I employ to tell me if they need a day off. Very few doctors WON'T write such notes, so their substantive value is nearly nothing. I'd rather have a clear set of expectations that when you're here you bust your a** for our clients, and when you need a day off you just tell me and you take it. What somebody does with their time off really isn't a "work issue."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.