Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Flight Change Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold
Interesting Flight Change Pricing

I've been researching availability for this Friday IAH-LIT since I need to take an earlier flight. I'll likely SDC (Premier Gold and no fees can't come quick enough), but I came across some interesting pricing on changes.

The system is quoting $422 fare difference + $150 change fee to change to an earlier flight Friday. That's $572, and it books into H class. If I book a NEW, one way ticket by itself for Friday, on the same flight the change is quoted for, it is only $225, and books into H class as well! (currently in L outbound and W inbound).

I think the reason is that my return flight (Sunday night), only has availability in B, since a new round trip with that itinerary would explain the $422 fare difference. However, since my return flight is confirmed in a lower fare class already (W), and I'm not seeking to change it, I wouldn't think this would affect anything. It seems silly that booking a new 1-way ticket would cost half the price of the change.

Maybe someone can explain this difference. Also, I'm curious if I did book the new one-way (though I don't plan to), would I be allowed to merge the itineraries, or would it invalidate my original ticket when I didn't take the outbound flight?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by soccerref750
Maybe someone can explain this difference. Also, I'm curious if I did book the new one-way (though I don't plan to), would I be allowed to merge the itineraries, or would it invalidate my original ticket when I didn't take the outbound flight?
I think you are right about the B fare effecting the new fare, the lower fares are probably not available due to advance purchase requirements.

You will not be able to merge/replace a new segment into your present itin. If you do not flight your scheduled segment, the rest of your itin will be cancelled.

This really points out the value of SDC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.