Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

UA site - Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers

First and second checked bags free for MileagePlus® Club and Presidential PlusSM card members

First checked bag free for MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers and cardmembers with certain other Chase credit cards
Terms and conditions
  • The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their applicable standard checked bag(s) free. To receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation and use their qualifying United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase to purchase their ticket(s).
  • The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
  • One authorized user is eligible to receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free only if traveling on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember and counted as the one traveling companion eligible for the benefit.
  • Eligible Cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or United Express; codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or may be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
  • Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
  • Primary Cardmembers who are already exempt from checked baggage service charges will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Premier members:
    Club or Presidential Plus Card members who receive two or more free checked bags through their Premier status will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not receive a free checked bag in addition to the free checked bag(s) awarded through their Premier status.

For additional information on Premier benefits, visit www.united.com/premier.
    International travel:
    Club and Presidential Plus Card members will not get additional free checked bags if there are no first and second checked bag service charges applicable to their international travel itinerary.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
  • Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
  • New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
    Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
FAQs
Can I get both by status benefit and the credit card benefit?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and you only have one "first" bag. Also addressed in above T&Cs.

If my ticket has a bag allowance doe the card benefit provide additional allowance?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and if the ticket has no fee, the waiver provides no additional benefit, . Also addressed in above T&Cs

Will I get the checked-bag benefit on an UA issued award ticket if I pay the out-of-pocket costs (tax, TSA fee) with a qualifying Chase UA card?
Yes, assuming you meet the other requirements (cardholder's MP number is on the same PNR, etc.).

Is third bag fee at the original fee or charged at what was the first bag fee?
The higher bag fees are unchanged when first and/or second bag fees are waived.

Do Basic Economy fares change the bag waiver?
No - see Introducing Basic Economy
And MP branded Chase cardholders will be exempt from the BE carry-on & boarding group restrictions

If I am a Chase MP branded cardholder but used a different card to purchase the ticket, will I still get the bag waiver?
No
But some have found if you purchase E+ access with the Chase MP branded card, you will then received the bag waiver

If I cancel the card after booking but before travel, will I still get the waiver?
No, the T&Cs state the card must be active at the time of travel.

How do I get the checked bag fee waiver when checking in with a partner airline, such as a codeshare?
Checked bag fee waiver only applies when checking in with UA. Codeshare/partner airlines will not provide the checked bag waiver benefits based on being a primary cardholder of a Chase MP card.

What if I purchase the UA ticket on a third party site using the Chase MP card?
This is a YMMV situation. It depends on how the 3rd party handles its billings. Reports are the Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity ... bookings will received the bag allowance waiver at check-in.

What if I forgot to use the Chase MP card for the original purchase?
Certain additional items, such as E+ access seem to trigger the bag waiver.
Recent reports suggest this no longer works.

I have a new Chase MP card, how can I tell UA knows this?
This takes a week or two to be fully acknowledged in the system

Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/account
At the top look for "Mileage Balance" and just below that "Exp. xx/xx/xxxx" with a "?" in a circle. Click on the "?".
A popup should mention the being a MileagePlus CC holder and your miles will not expire. This signifies the MP account and CC have been properly linked.

Print Wikipost

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
HUACA for the answer you want.

I agree that it should process and correct itself eventually, but you want certainty. Question - rather than just using the card to purchase the ticket, did you update the credit card on file in your profile? That way the system knows that you should get the various benefits. Try that and give it an overnight to process and then check again.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
HUACA for the answer you want.

I agree that it should process and correct itself eventually, but you want certainty. ...
Nothing the phone says will give you certainty either way. In reality it is very likely you will get conflicting answers -- the phone agents are not well trained on this.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:13 pm

I found the fine print

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con.../chasebag.aspx
"New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening."

And this bit of info

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/0...r-united-card/
" You also likely will not get the free checked bag if your confirmation (on the United website) doesn’t indicate that you will get 1 free checked bag.
And United agents at the airport will usually not help you. Even if you show them your United card."

I think i'm just going to play it safe and cancel my reservation, and rebook in a few days.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sanfranderek
.... I think i'm just going to play it safe and cancel my reservation, and rebook in a few days.
Given the risk of an itin price change and the experiences in this thread, that may negate the cost bag wavier savings
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Given the risk of an itin price change and the experiences in this thread, that may negate the cost bag wavier savings
It was an award flight so I wasn't worried about price changing, but they apparently want to charge $200 fee to redeposit miles, outrageous.

I'll just wait another week to see if the benefits show up on my reservation, and if not play customer service roulette until I can get someone to fix it.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:12 pm

It was an award flight so I wasn't worried about price changing, but they apparently want to charge $200 fee to redeposit miles, outrageous. ....
The award availability could have gone away and yes there is a cancellation/redeposit fee (varies based on status) for award tickets

... I'll just wait another week to see if the benefits show up on my reservation, and if not play customer service roulette until I can get someone to fix it.
There is nothing the phone agents can do -- long litany of that reported in this thread. It is up to the counter agent at the airport to appeal to. However suspect it will work out.

One workaround reported up-thread is purchasing E+ access has trigger the benefit for those that did not use the Chase MP brand card for the award fees.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:32 pm

I had an award flight through my MP account, then my husband had an award flight (same flight) through his MP account. I have the Explorer card...we checked in together and the check in agent was kind enough to waive bag fees for my husband also.
This was above and beyond what the "rules" say, so I was very appreciative.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:38 pm

For posterity, booked UA flight through Orbitz using my MP Club card and confirmed on the reservation that I received the two free checked bags benefit plus I'm presuming, priority boarding, etc.

Orbitz/Hotels.com etc. have ridiculously high cash back values at Jet.com, 6 and 14% respectively. If I'm getting all the benefits of my MP cards booking through them, there's hardly any reason to go through united.com unless there's something obvious I'm missing.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Free bag if using explorer card with partner miles?

I'm planning on using air canada miles for a domestic United award flight. If I pay with the mileageplus explorer will I get a free bag?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Doubtful, as the AC number will be your FF of record, and in that sense, you're not a UA MP member for purposes of getting a free bag.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm sure someone will be able to find the link, but there was another recent thread about this where the card benefits weren't available to someone buying a ticket with the card through Chase's portal. IIRC, the conclusion there is for the benefits to be valid, it needs to be a ticket bought through UA with the card. An award booked with MP miles through the UA site would count, but doubt those booked through a partner would.

Given its not being booked through UA, whether UA would even know what card you used is doubtful - for a TA, they definitely wouldn't - not sure its different for one booked through another carrier.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I booked economy award travel for 3 pax: myself- primary MP Club Card holder and UA Silver, and two other no status companions. Payment of tax/fees was made on the Club card, so I should receive 2 free bags, and one companion should receive 2 free bags. All segments are UA operated.

I then split the PNR in order to get on the CPU list for the nearly empty flight.

Will my first companion still get 2 free bags, since that person had been on the reservation at time of purchase?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:40 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Wooglin
I booked economy award travel for 3 pax: myself- primary MP Club Card holder and UA Silver, and two other no status companions. Payment of tax/fees was made on the Club card, so I should receive 2 free bags, and one companion should receive 2 free bags. All segments are UA operated.

I then split the PNR in order to get on the CPU list for the nearly empty flight.

Will my first companion still get 2 free bags, since that person had been on the reservation at time of purchase?
It depends. If you split prior to T24, those who are split will keep their seat (including E+ seating in the case of Gold or higher), but they will lose all other privileges (priority boarding, free checked bags, etc.). In contrast, with United's auto-PNR-split at T-24 check-in, all who are split retain their priority boarding and free checked bags.

When traveling with two other family members, I always create one PNR for everyone and then split one person off prior to T24. I just check a bag for them and say "this person is with me" during boarding. Creating one PNR is important for itineraries that might change, because one change fee ($0 for Gold and higher at T-24) covers everyone on the initial PNR, even if they are split later.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:32 pm

Free luggage check with United CC?

I bought a United ticket with my United CC. My eticket says my first checked bag would be $25; I expected it would be free.
I emailed United. They replied that my first bag would be free.

1) Can I count on it being free, despite what it says on the eticket?
2) Would I need to have my United CC with me to get the free bag? I don't use it and would rather not have to carry it. (just something to lose...)

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Toller
I bought a United ticket with my United CC. ...
Which card, not all the cards offer bag waivers. (Is it Chase MP Explorer, Chase MP Club and Chase MP PresidentialPlus ?)
Also is the card connected to your MP account?
Are you the primary cardholder?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.