Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA site - Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers

First and second checked bags free for MileagePlus Club and Presidential PlusSM card members

First checked bag free for MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers and cardmembers with certain other Chase credit cards
The requirement to purchase ticket(s) with the applicable United MileagePlus card will be waived for flights completed during the first 90 days following a new primary Cardmembers account open date.
Terms and conditions
  • The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their applicable standard checked bag(s) free. To receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation and use their qualifying United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase to purchase their ticket(s).
  • The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
  • One authorized user is eligible to receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free only if traveling on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember and counted as the one traveling companion eligible for the benefit.
  • Eligible Cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or United Express; codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or may be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
  • Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
  • Primary Cardmembers who are already exempt from checked baggage service charges will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Premier members:
    Club or Presidential Plus Card members who receive two or more free checked bags through their Premier status will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not receive a free checked bag in addition to the free checked bag(s) awarded through their Premier status.

For additional information on Premier benefits, visit www.united.com/premier.
    International travel:
    Club and Presidential Plus Card members will not get additional free checked bags if there are no first and second checked bag service charges applicable to their international travel itinerary.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
  • Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
  • New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
    Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
FAQs
Can I get both by status benefit and the credit card benefit?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and you only have one "first" bag. Also addressed in above T&Cs.

If my ticket has a bag allowance doe the card benefit provide additional allowance?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and if the ticket has no fee, the waiver provides no additional benefit, . Also addressed in above T&Cs

Will I get the checked-bag benefit on an UA issued award ticket if I pay the out-of-pocket costs (tax, TSA fee) with a qualifying Chase UA card?
Yes, assuming you meet the other requirements (cardholder's MP number is on the same PNR, etc.).

Is third bag fee at the original fee or charged at what was the first bag fee?
The higher bag fees are unchanged when first and/or second bag fees are waived.

Do Basic Economy fares change the bag waiver?
No - see Introducing Basic Economy
And MP branded Chase cardholders will be exempt from the BE carry-on & boarding group restrictions

If I am a Chase MP branded cardholder but used a different card to purchase the ticket, will I still get the bag waiver?
No
But some have found if you purchase E+ access with the Chase MP branded card, you will then received the bag waiver

If I cancel the card after booking but before travel, will I still get the waiver?
No, the T&Cs state the card must be active at the time of travel.

How do I get the checked bag fee waiver when checking in with a partner airline, such as a codeshare?
Checked bag fee waiver only applies when checking in with UA. Codeshare/partner airlines will not provide the checked bag waiver benefits based on being a primary cardholder of a Chase MP card.

What if I purchase the UA ticket on a third party site using the Chase MP card?
This is a YMMV situation. It depends on how the 3rd party handles its billings. Reports are the Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity ... bookings will received the bag allowance waiver at check-in.

What if I forgot to use the Chase MP card for the original purchase?
Certain additional items, such as E+ access seem to trigger the bag waiver.
Recent reports suggest this no longer works.

I have a new Chase MP card, how can I tell UA knows this?
This takes a week or two to be fully acknowledged in the system

Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/account
At the top look for "Mileage Balance" and just below that "Exp. xx/xx/xxxx" with a "?" in a circle. Click on the "?".
A popup should mention the being a MileagePlus CC holder and your miles will not expire. This signifies the MP account and CC have been properly linked.

Archive thread: Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rrapynot
If I book a ticket with my Chase United Explorer card today, and then cancel the card tomorrow, will I still get the perks such as free checked bags when I travel on this reservation?
Keep the card until after the last applicable check-in, then downgrade (product change) to a no-fee United card for a pro-rated refund of the annual fee.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:38 pm

Just an update on my above situation.
No one can figure out what the problem is, still. UA says it's Chase's fault that the card is not linked to my MP#, Chase says it is linked. I was able to convince two of the Chase reps I talked to to call and speak directly with UA, but somehow the Chase agent gets disconnected when they try to do a 3-way between me, Chase and UA.
This has become an impossible situation. I don't even know if I'll get the 50k mile sign-up bonus either with this glitch.

One positive is that, on both outbound and return, I was able to get my bag fees waived at the counter. It's a pain, because you have to check in at the counter, track down a UA employee (most people at the counter are just baggage handlers) who then needs to get a supervisor, I have to explain the situation twice, and the supervisor does something in the system to override the fees. But at least there's a workaround now as far as bag fee waiver goes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I have a UA credit card that gives free bags and my understanding is that this benefit is when you book a UA flight with the credit card. I recently took a domestic UA flight that I booked with AV miles and which was booked with a non-UA card. I was not expected a free bag, however when I checked in online a few hours before departure, I was given a free bag. Was this a mistake?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 11:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I have a UA credit card that gives free bags and my understanding is that this benefit is when you book a UA flight with the credit card. I recently took a domestic UA flight that I booked with AV miles and which was booked with a non-UA card. I was not expected a free bag, however when I checked in online a few hours before departure, I was given a free bag. Was this a mistake?
DId you pay an ancillary fees, like E+ access or ??? with the UA card?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
DId you pay an ancillary fees, like E+ access or ??? with the UA card?
No. Has UA begun to give free bags based on the FF# like with AA? I actually needed to take a bag and wish I knew of this in advance? Is there a way to find this out online? Don't have any active reservations.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No. Has UA begun to give free bags based on the FF# like with AA? I actually needed to take a bag and wish I knew of this in advance? Is there a way to find this out online? Don't have any active reservations.
Status has always been a factor
UA bag calculator
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA bag calculator
Don't have any status.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 3:52 pm

Forgot to use the ua card when booking an award ticket. Can I ask ua to refund the taxes and pay with the ua card to get the free bag benefit?
award price went up so dont wanna cancel and rebook but if that is the only option I can do that.

also any benefit of using the ua card on a paid business class ticket (cun-sfo)? I assume in biz class well get one bag for free which is All we need.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
UA bag calculator
Thats what I don't like about UA. AA's approach is much more sensible.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Thats what I don't like about UA. AA's approach is much more sensible.
Correct. Is DL like this?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct. Is DL like this?
Yeah, I think so. I haven't flown DL since 2020, but I never paid for my DL flights with a DL CC, and I still got a free checked bag through status. I rather pay for airfare with either my AMEX Platinum or Citi Prestige.

​​​​​
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Yeah, I think so. I haven't flown DL since 2020, but I never paid for my DL flights with a DL CC, and I still got a free checked bag through status. I rather pay for airfare with either my AMEX Platinum or Citi Prestige.

​​​​​

Did you recently not have status and not use their CC?
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you recently not have status and not use their CC?
I've had DL status for a number of years. I only became a DL Diamond recently, but I want to move over to UA as they have a better tpac network. Too bad DL doesn't fly to HKG or SIN.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate
Forgot to use the ua card when booking an award ticket. Can I ask ua to refund the taxes and pay with the ua card to get the free bag benefit?
award price went up so dont wanna cancel and rebook but if that is the only option I can do that.

also any benefit of using the ua card on a paid business class ticket (cun-sfo)? I assume in biz class well get one bag for free which is All we need.
Some have has success in the first 24 hours. Afterwards is problem because UA will have to eat the processing fees on the first card, then pay for reversing the charges and then pay again to use the chase card.

If you have a business class award ticket, there is no additive bag benefit using the chase card.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Keep the card until after the last applicable check-in, then downgrade (product change) to a no-fee United card for a pro-rated refund of the annual fee.

I understand you can only do this within a 30 day window of paying your annual fee.
I'd love to be wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.