Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked first class ORD to Lihue but interisland from HNL to LIH is coach.Isthis right

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booked first class ORD to Lihue but interisland from HNL to LIH is coach.Isthis right

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes normally a F award entitles one to F seat on all available flight BUT Hawaiian is a special case partner -- it is not part of the Star Alliance but does have ability to earn and use MP miles. In the special arrangement, you can only use MP miles to book only economy inter-island flights for an additional 5,000 miles each way. While this may have not been clear at booking, it is stated clearly on Hawaiian page on united.com., so you "got what you paid for."

It is a very short flight, enjoy -- BTW beware on the return flight you may need to pay for bags even on a "F" award.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ive-6-1-a.html
All the posts attacking OP are pointless. WineCountryUA's answer is complete... ^
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by JaneMo
There is a first class section on Hawaiian and when I booked this in March (for next February) I doubt that the seats in First were taken. It is just that it took 180,000 FF miles to obtain the reservation for both of us and I would like to "get what I pay for".. so to speak. I know it is only a 20 min flight but if we sit in first, we board first as well instead of the usual line up. I will be happy to be in Hawaii but I think that using all these miles I should get what is correct....but I don't know their rules about partners and partners putting customers in first. my inclination is that we should be in first all the way through to Lihue.. thanks for all the replies..
My advice? Don't drag along a New York attitude to Hawaii. Relax and go with the flow, get the ol' aloha spirit going once you hit the islands.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by JiggyJohn
Because the plane's so small that every bloody seat is a coach seat, no first class seats - I assume, my fair lady that this is from an island to another island, a very short flight indeed, probably a propeller plane like the one we saw on Fantasy Island (Written with a british accent)
Not true. Every 717 on HA has 8 F seats. We fly them a few times a year from HNL-OGG, HNL-KONA or HNL-LIH & have always had F seats (non award). However, if the flight is Island Air, kinda like UX for HA, these are props w no F
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:13 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
A similar thing happened to me this summer. Booked IAH-HNL-LIH all in first and paid about $3,200 RT. Called HA to make seat selection for the HNL-LIH portion and they gave me a seat in coach. This made no sense since my UA-issued ticket said "first" for both segments. Called UA to find out and they told me that when you buy a ticket in F class on UA, you get booked on Y on HA. I was disappointed that the rules were not more transparent. So I cancelled the entire ticket, got refund, and then booked IAH-HNL RT on UA for $3,000 and purchased a separate ticket from HNL-LIH RT in F class on HA for $400. The total cost was $200 higher, and was worth it in my opinion due to access to the first class security lane at LIH, access to the HA lounges in LIH and HNL, and also due to early boarding on HA which gives one more time to work aboard the aircraft. If one values productivity while travelling, the extra cost is worth it. Otherwise, it is not.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:44 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk. I'm with others - it's a 20 minute flight. Does it REALLY make a difference if you aren't in first? You are on the long stretch of the flight. If it does make a difference, then cancel the ticket and just save the miles and fly Economy on a paid ticket.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by ldsant
First of all, welcome to FlyerTalk. I'm with others - it's a 20 minute flight. Does it REALLY make a difference if you aren't in first? You are on the long stretch of the flight. If it does make a difference, then cancel the ticket and just save the miles and fly Economy on a paid ticket.
YES - there is a BIG difference. You get your comp glass of guava juice sooner, you get an extra 3-5 min of vacation time in the islands & mot importantly, that lounge in HNL. (WOW) all you can drink sods for free
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
let's lighten up

Let's give the OP a break. I've flown both Y and F on HA, mostly Y, and there is something festive about arriving in paradise in a bit of faux luxury.

As I posted before, F makes even more sense on the return leg if you can upgrade for TOD and thus avoid baggage charges, which add up if you have more than one piece to check in, let alone a surf board

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.