When are INTL R Class seats released?

Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eflyte
So what's the consensus recommendation for an intl flight w lots of J inventory but no R? Wait patiently for R to open, or book and apply and hope the GPU clears?
All waiting does is to put you further down the waitlist and economy ticket prices likely increase.
What is your option if R does not public open (but perhaps some on the waitlist cleared)?

Originally Posted by Antipode
Shouldn't that be how a waitlist works? If an upgradable seat becomes available, it should immediately go to the first person on the waitlist. ...
I think AirTravelLover's point was the sense that an 1K on the waitlist might sometimes cause an earlier release of space than might otherwise have occurred. I concurred that I have sensed the same (mostly domestic routes).
However, part of the issue may be the distributed method now used for upgrades. One process releases the inventory and another process does the upgrading a some point in the future.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 1, 2012 at 1:56 pm Reason: self merge
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by Antipode
Shouldn't that be how a waitlist works? If an upgradable seat becomes available, it should immediately go to the first person on the waitlist. The top of the waitlist is usually going to be GS/1K. Why should it be "released to the public" as R so that anyone can apply an instrument and claim it when there are people on the waitlist?
With the old system (pre SHARES) it definitely worked this way. Waitlists would clear before NC (the old R) showed >0. Nowadays, not so sure anymore. Have definitely had R space open up while I was waitlisted.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by drowelf
I've been monitoring IAH->AMS since early August, since I'm GPU waitlisted for this flight in Oct. This exercise has shown that no upgrades clear prior to the day of flight and generally they don't even clear then until a few hours before departure.
Just back from AMS. I booked and was waitlisted for myself and wife back in April for EWR-AMS. I've monitored list daily for R with no luck. Then about 48 hours prior to outbound flight last Thursday, I received emails that we were upgraded EWR-AMS. Several hours later, I received another email that we were upgraded AMS-EWR. R space was never show open which is the way it should be. We were not shown in the upgrade list on the mobile site because we were upgraded before the 24 hour mark. So when you see the number of booked seats ticking up, they could be paid bookings or upgrades with instruments or cash + miles.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Hum, I read that it can work both ways some folks reported that GPU's that clear prior to 24 hours do show up on the upgrade list and other have reported that they do not. I do know that people move onto the waitlist at t-24 and then some show up on the upgrade list.

I was also using Expert Flyer and Expert Mode, except for the period it was out, to watch for R Inventory.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drowelf
...I was also using Expert Flyer and Expert Mode, except for the period it was out, to watch for R Inventory.
if there is a waitlist and they clear, you may never see the R inventory on EF or via ExpertMode.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by technodive200
Does anyone know when Business class seats are released for upgrade?
In my limited experience, I've had the Rs show up in between t-24 and t-48. Assumed that was based on historical data that they open them up.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
What's even more aweseome...

If they clear you the day of, no special meal. I still don't understand they logic of upgrading after OLCI, but I concur, it's all about revenue. Now that it is down, makes sense to hold them for the very end. Also, with the new up-sell GUI, I think the check-in and waitlist will be more of the norm with your Y special meal being served on a J plate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.