Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA going 2-class planes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Is there really any reason to want to fly UA F internationally? The sense I get from everything I've read on Flyertalk is that the only things differentiating UA international F service over J/C service are 1) possible international first lounge access; 2) more selections of wine; 3) another main entree option; 4) a soup course; and 5) a slightly larger amenities kit.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:22 am

Any way to see if a certain plane /route has the reconfigured 777?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TWATWA
United was profitable before this merger and now they are losing passengers as they cheapen the airline to CO standards. United passgengers would have been much better off without a full merger and done something like Air France/KLM where CO could have been the lowfare, cheap service airline. Now they are cheapening every aspect of the new United and making it worse for paying passengers.

Did you miss the last 6 years of pmUA existence where they ruthlessly cheapened the flying experience in every cabin? pmCO's inflight service standards were higher than pmUA's, not lower.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by TWATWA
That is a huge downgrade in service and choice! 3 class is the only reason to stay with United as AA only has it on the 777 and Delta doesn't even offer it or an IFC Lounge.
Wait, what? If you're flying paid F, you should be flying another, non-US-based carrier.

Originally Posted by sannmann
Is there really any reason to want to fly UA F internationally? The sense I get from everything I've read on Flyertalk is that the only things differentiating UA international F service over J/C service are 1) possible international first lounge access; 2) more selections of wine; 3) another main entree option; 4) a soup course; and 5) a slightly larger amenities kit.
So I prefer the PMUA J to PMCO J. PMUA F is certainly a bit nicer seatwise (larger, easier to spread out, etc.).

Given my travel is funded on my own dime, I don't think I'll be saying that I won't fly these carriers because of the cuts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sannmann
If you or your company is willing to pay for international first or business class, I would fly a non-USA carrier and just credit the miles to your UA *A account. If using upgrades or miles, I think UA business (if in the proper lie-flat seats) is just fine and a better value compared to UA first -- if on miles and going for first, you get much better value and service for your miles on other *A carriers. My opinion is even stronger post-3/3.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by DC-USCP-UAPE
Flew to MUC in FC on one of the worst 777 in the fleet. Had not been refurbished, and jokingly complained to the FA. She said they stopped all upgrades and are now looking to go two class only. That will leave AA as the only US carrier with three classes. Great for AA. Some people (those with more money than common sense) want to be First Class - not business. So anyone dumb enough to pay $14,000 (FC) vs. $7,000 (BC) is going to gift AA.

I see the point. FC used to have flat seats, video on demand, and other perks that are now in business class. The new first class has private suites and have really stepped it up a notch. Do you invest and play along or give up? Since Jeff seems to want to run a low cost carrier - UA gives up. Is Jeff eyeing the US air model, perhaps? FF are scum. Who cares about FC revenue? Just pack the planes and get every cent from every passenger?
Class warfare. There are quite a few people (not me!!!) for whom a marginally better night of sleep is worth a lot more than $7,000. Paying for is an acute business judgement regardless of how stupid you might think it.

Imagine you were flying and about to meet someone for a prosepctive deal that nets you $100M. Wouldn't be worth it? Now imagine you're doing it twice a week; and every little improvement makes a world of a difference. Heck, people fly private and its worth it.

What you seem to forget is foriegn carriers. Their F competitor isn't AA; its LX, SQ, LH, CX and so on. The only advantage they would be losing to AA is people buying C with a hope of UG to F; which is a strong selling point IMHO.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Class warfare. There are quite a few people (not me!!!) for whom a marginally better night of sleep is worth a lot more than $7,000. Paying for is an acute business judgement regardless of how stupid you might think it.

Imagine you were flying and about to meet someone for a prosepctive deal that nets you $100M. Wouldn't be worth it? Now imagine you're doing it twice a week; and every little improvement makes a world of a difference. Heck, people fly private and its worth it.

What you seem to forget is foriegn carriers. Their F competitor isn't AA; its LX, SQ, LH, CX and so on. The only advantage they would be losing to AA is people buying C with a hope of UG to F; which is a strong selling point IMHO.
Not only that, for some of these folks, whether the seat is $7K more or $10K more or $15K more doesn't mean a hill of beans in their budget, lifestyle, or anything else. In fact, it is less of a dent in the budget for them than for most of us spending $500 on a ticket. So why not fly in F?

The "what is dumb" is really subjective. You like brand X vodka and willingly pay $12 a drink at the bar. Your friend thinks they all taste the same, you are wasting your $, and the $6 well vodka is just as good (not to mention the free additional headache as a bonus!). You're spending 100% more for a drink that will get you to the same place at the same time, because they are both 80 proof.

As far as UA getting rid of F on certain routes, I don't know how much they've "done the math" but I'd expect that it is on routes where there isn't much full fare C that want to upgrade to F (in addition to not selling F). As far as lack of demand, it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Cheapen the soft product to crap, and then say "look, no one is buying these seats."
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I would guess on a typical international flight with 8 seats in F, there are

2 non-revs
1 paid F
2 UG from J
1 standard award
2 saver awards

Averaging for TPAC/TATL and speculating quite a bit, that works out to about $2,000 seat on average versus (speculating again) $1500 a seat for J. Look at the numbers for a 777

3 Class
8 F $16,000
40 J $60,000
221 Y $110,500 ($500/seat)
Total $186,500

2 Class
50 J $75,000
217 Y $108,500
Total $183, 500

And if UA wants to have a competitive hard product in a 2 class configuration, they need to go to 100% direct aisle access which means 42 not 50 seats in BF.

On the 747, they have 64 premium (J and F) seats versus 48 for a typical 2 class (e.g. DL) so I think the numbers are even more compelling for 3 class on the 747.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:30 pm

LH and CX are cutting down on their F cabins as well. I'm not particularly convinced that F produces a markedly better night's sleep over lie-flat J so this "every bit helps" attitude may be a fallacy.

Flying private is mostly about schedules (or the lack thereof).
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DC-USCP-UAPE
Do you invest and play along or give up? Since Jeff seems to want to run a low cost carrier - UA gives up. Is Jeff eyeing the US air model, perhaps? FF are scum. Who cares about FC revenue? Just pack the planes and get every cent from every passenger?
The 2-class approach is classic CO management philosophy.

Remember, CO launched BusinessFirst in the early 90's (even before the tenure of Gordon Bethune).

When this was launched, CO was a second-tier decrepit hulk of an airline with an atrocious reputation from its slash-and-burn Frank Lorenzo period.

The Newark hub was acquired when Frank Lorenzo took over PeoplExpress, as an act of personal revenge against Don Burr, one of the co-founders of PE who used to work for Lorenzo at Texas International Airlines.

At its inception CO BF was a revolution in premium cabin product, a truly FC-like experience at a J price.

Of course, back in the early 90's international FC was nothing like it is now, and with time, CO's BF lost some of its specialness.

But the principle behind BF became enshrined in the basic CO approach to doing business:

Never aim for the high-end of the market (because it's too fickle and requires a huge on-going investment in product and training).

So instead they aim for the next level down. It's a big step down in terms of costs and expectations, and they have historically attempted to compete by over-delivering in the J category, although clearly that has been hit or miss since the merger.

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
LH and CX are cutting down on their F cabins as well. I'm not particularly convinced that F produces a markedly better night's sleep over lie-flat J so this "every bit helps" attitude may be a fallacy.

Flying private is mostly about schedules (or the lack thereof).
Agreed 100%.

I have flown international F and J, and, frankly, my best night sleeps have been in J.

Private is about not having to worry about the schedule and for some it's also a way to remain out of the public eye.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by andrewwm

Did you miss the last 6 years of pmUA existence where they ruthlessly cheapened the flying experience in every cabin? pmCO's inflight service standards were higher than pmUA's, not lower.
Really? Like, CO E- is better than UA E+?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Really? Like, CO E- is better than UA E+?
Are you going to tell me with a straight face that the pmUA catering, lounge, and fee structure were "industry leading" and better than pmCO versions?

I think you never flew pmUA if you're going to try.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by andrewwm

True but now lower Thrn either ever was
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Agreed 100%.

I have flown international F and J, and, frankly, my best night sleeps have been in J.

Private is about not having to worry about the schedule and for some it's also a way to remain out of the public eye.
I never meant people fly private for sleep, I just pointed out spending $7000 for a few hours of improved productivity is not 'dumb'.

Hard for me to believe you can sleep better in J than F all else equal.I agree there are more signifucant deciding factors, but how is it easier to sleep in J than F? Only think I can think of is that F would keep you preoccoupied with food etc but I doubt that's true for a frequent flier.

The only thing I agree is dumb is people who fly premium for the extra luggage allowance.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:02 pm

I never meant people fly private for sleep, I just pointed out spending $7000 for a few hours of improved productivity is not 'dumb'.

Hard for me to believe you can sleep better in J than F all else equal.I agree there are more signifucant deciding factors, but how is it easier to sleep in J than F? Only think I can think of is that F would keep you preoccoupied with food etc but I doubt that's true for a frequent flier.
Uh... Let's look at something like NYC-LON. If I'm truly concerned about being at peak alertness the next day, I'm going to sleep on my flight. I'm not going to eat on board. I'm not going to pass Go nor collect $200. I'm going to straight to sleep. The food on board should not be part of this buying decision.

I'm not going to debate easier or not. (A "good night's sleep" has been largely a function of flight duration and departure time [relative to my sleep schedule] when flying C/F for me rather than product.) My observation is one of "indifference" once I stop falling over myself about branding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.