Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old Sep 23, 12, 6:36 pm   #1

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
Redeeming United Miles for Gift Cards?

I have a bunch of United Miles and was hoping to redeem 50k of the amount for $500 in Gift Cards. In the past I used to do United/Continental-->Amtrak-->Gift Cards. Unfortunately I think the Amtrak path is closed.

Wondering if there's another similar path with similar value? I tried Point.com but I'm not looking but the gift card values are insane. I have miles in a bunch of programs so redeeming here and there was a nice option.
Old Sep 26, 12, 2:53 pm   #2

Programs: All Major Airlines, Hyatt/Choice/IHG Plat, Marriott/SPG/HH/CC Gold & most other major programs
Why would u redeem UA miles for gift cards when u can redeem them for business class tickets across the pond. I mean I just booked a business class ticket on UA (60 K per ticket) for my in-laws. It is a 16 (2 X 8) hour flight and they were very impressed . Minimum cost of such a flight would have been $3-4 K per ticket. Bottom line is u can stretch miles and points a lot if u travel and do your research. U can't do much better than $500 with GC etc. However if someone doesn't have potential travel than GC will be more useful. Then again if one doesn't have usage for miles/points, they should be focusing on cash back credit cards. As always YMMV!

Last edited by gv111; Sep 26, 12 at 3:09 pm..
gv111 is offline   Reply With Quote