Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Procedure to get 2 free bags at check-in with United MileagePlus Explorer Visa card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Procedure to get 2 free bags at check-in with United MileagePlus Explorer Visa card

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 1:49 am
Original Poster

I was told that i must purchase my ticket with the credit card to get the free baggage. What if i redee ed a free flight or if my company paid for the ticket?
How do i get the free bag priviledge in those instances? I think they should honor it even if you did not use it to purchase the ticket with the credit card.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:26 pm
Suspended

No, you don't have to use the card to book the flight to get the free bag. As long as the credit card is associated with your frequent flier number, you are good to go.

I traveled with 3 other people this weekend on one reservation (I have the Club Card) and I didn't book the ticket with the card; however, I was able to get my 4 bag allowance with no problem.

Hope this helps!
Have a good one.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Transfer to UA forum where there is a wealth of knowledge about this cards and it's benefits.
Old May 30, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hqly2001
I was told that i must purchase my ticket with the credit card to get the free baggage. What if i redee ed a free flight or if my company paid for the ticket?
How do i get the free bag priviledge in those instances? I think they should honor it even if you did not use it to purchase the ticket with the credit card.
Technically, you are supposed to pay with the MP Explorer/MP Club card to recieve the benefits, although a lot of people have reported that they were also able to get the benefits by also using a non MP club/Explorer card. I think this might be a problem with the system which probably only understands that you have a UA credit card so you get 1 or 2 checked bags. If this is the case then I might as well sign up for the Club card and quit being Premier Silver
Old May 30, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA-Plat AS-MVPG
I only had one time where the Explorer card didn't cover my bag out of about 5 or 6 times buying tickets with my company cc.

And the one time it didn't work, I just showed the check in agent my Explorer card and they zeroed out the bag charge.
Old May 31, 2012, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo
I only had one time where the Explorer card didn't cover my bag out of about 5 or 6 times buying tickets with my company cc.

And the one time it didn't work, I just showed the check in agent my Explorer card and they zeroed out the bag charge.
I owed agent my card and she asked if i booked with card. She mentioned that i would be automstic if i did. I was told to pay then call customer support if i did use my card to puchase tix.
Old May 31, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by hqly2001
Why should they honor it if you don't use the card to purchase the ticket? The terms and conditions specifically state that you are supposed to use the card to get the benefit. You agreed to those terms by applying for the card. The reason Chase agrees to provide the card and pay UA for those benefits is because they expect to gain financially from your use of the card (transaction fees paid by the merchant, probability of interest for balance from consumer). If Chase pays UA for your benefits but you don't use the card and they don't get the financial benefit of your card usage they lose their incentive to collaborate with UA to provide the card.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: *A Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC, EC Elite, Starbucks Gold :D
Originally Posted by wazzuFreddo

What if you have the A3 FFP number instead of the UA MP number on the ticket ? I have both Explorer and Club card and am wondering if the bag fee will be waived off.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Originally Posted by cslovacek
No, you don't have to use the card to book the flight to get the free bag. As long as the credit card is associated with your frequent flier number, you are good to go.
Is there a way to make sure the CC is associated with the FF number?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yoksel
Is there a way to make sure the CC is associated with the FF number?
Well, as long as you are earning miles from the explorer card from purchases your CC is associated with the FF#
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Sorry for the thread hijack, but do you have to use the United card when purchasing the ticket to get the free bags?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
Sorry for the thread hijack, but do you have to use the United card when purchasing the ticket to get the free bags?
Not in my experience... I actually booked a UA flight using US miles and got the free bag.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I can't speak for UA, but for DL you do not have to purchase on the DL card. Your credit card status is linked to your FF #. Probably it's the same for UA.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread moved to UA forum because discussion pertains to a benefit provided by the airline, not by the card issuer.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Last time this happened to me, the charge at the airport was normal and I used the MP Explorer to pay for it, and on my CC there was a charge and an automatic refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.