Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Best Practices for Filing EC261/2004 ( EU 261 ) and UK 261 Claims Against United?

Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:35 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Fully2k
Any update on your end? I'm about 21 days right now with no response on my claim.
this seems pedantic but did you cite the correct statute? a well trained customer relations rep with united in germany will reject your claim if you claimed compensation under "EU261". it's EC261/2004. or UK261 but i do not know if that was officially promulgated.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:16 am

I finally got paid out through Airhelp. They take a good chunk but at least you get something.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 10:45 am

Just wanted to share my timeline for a successful claim. After reading some other people's experiences in this thread, I decided to try to claim both the 300 USD travel credit and then file the EC261/2004 compensation claim later to see if it worked, and it did. (If it happens again in the future, I'll be curious to see if they still offer me any travel credit, knowing that I took both once before.)
  • Oct 23 2022: UA963 BER-EWR cancelled due to mechanical problems, was automatically rebooked for the next day. Received an email with the subject "Customer Appreciation" with a link to a a form (offer valid for 90 days).
  • Nov 4 2022: Filled out the "Customer Appreciation" form and got an offer for 300 USD travel credit expiring Dec 31 2023. Accepted, and the confirmation arrived in my inbox right away.
  • Nov 17 2022: Submitted a claim via United's customer care form (see text below).
  • Dec 9 2022: First response from United customer service. Offered me the typical 1000 USD travel credit, 50k miles, or 600 EUR (in the form of a USD check mailed to me). They the same day confirming I wanted the 600 EUR. I'm resident in Germany, so when I gave them my mailing address, they responded (same day again) saying they'll actually send me an electronic funds transfer in EUR instead. I replied with my German bank details, and they got back to me to say they submitted the request to their accounting department and that it would take up to 6 weeks to process.
  • Feb 1 2023 (a little over 7 weeks later): Hadn't heard anything yet, so I emailed them to ask about the status.
  • Feb 4 2023: They replied to say they'd processed the payment, and that it could take till Feb 15 to appear in my account.
  • Feb 6 2023: The 600 EUR payment hit my bank account.
Here's what I wrote in my initial complaint:

Hello,

I was booked on UA963 BER-EWR on October 23rd (confirmation number XXXXXX), scheduled to arrive in Newark at 1:15pm. The flight was canceled due to mechanical issues and I was rebooked on a new flight the following day (UA3035), which arrived at about 4:10pm in Newark on October 24th, approximately 27 hours after my original scheduled arrival. Per EU’s passenger rights (EU 261), I am submitting my claim for 600 euros as compensation for the delayed arrival.

Please let me know if there’s any additional info you need to process my claim.
(Also realizing just now that I called it EU 261, but the right name is EC 261/2004 as a previous poster pointed out. So if you use my text as a template, be sure to update that in case United ignores you on a technicality.)
jsloan, SPN Lifer, RobOnLI and 2 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2023 at 11:13 am Reason: redacted PNR id
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cur
this seems pedantic but did you cite the correct statute? a well trained customer relations rep with united in germany will reject your claim if you claimed compensation under "EU261". it's EC261/2004. or UK261 but i do not know if that was officially promulgated.
Are there actually any reports of UA being that pedantic?

Regardless, I'm going to ask a moderator to rename the thread for accuracy.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
I posted this a few years ago....I think although it discusses Air Canada, it all would apply to UA in a similar situation. Short story, six members of my family ended up with 600 euro each for AC flights with UA mileage from France to Montreal to BOS with the delay caused by AC connecting flight after the TATL flight arrived on time.

Success!!!! with Air Canada, not with UA but maybe instructive anyway
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just filed my first ever EU261 claim on a C&D case. FRA-IAD cancelled for technical reasons and was forced into an overnight. I submitted the claim via the Customer Care link (https://www.united.com/en/br/customercare) shown above in this thread. Let's see how long it takes them to respond.

Separately I submitted a hotel receipt to 1K Voice and will see if they pay that back as the airport only offered a QR code to book a hotel and it didn't work for me for some reason.

-RM
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just filed my first ever EU261 claim on a C&D case. FRA-IAD cancelled for technical reasons and was forced into an overnight. I submitted the claim via the Customer Care link (https://www.united.com/en/br/customercare) shown above in this thread. Let's see how long it takes them to respond.

Separately I submitted a hotel receipt to 1K Voice and will see if they pay that back as the airport only offered a QR code to book a hotel and it didn't work for me for some reason.

-RM
I just did the same for today's FRA-IAD.

We were told to go to the ticket counter to get hotel vouchers, but when I got there (30 min walk from the gate, including a wait for immigration), there was NO ONE there to help a mob of 200 pax. So I went over to the Marriott and booked a room on my own. I called GS and they said to send the receipt via feedback for reimbursement.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
I just did the same for today's FRA-IAD.

We were told to go to the ticket counter to get hotel vouchers, but when I got there (30 min walk from the gate, including a wait for immigration), there was NO ONE there to help a mob of 200 pax. So I went over to the Marriott and booked a room on my own. I called GS and they said to send the receipt via feedback for reimbursement.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. Just yesterday I resent the receipt for my hotel to 1K Voice because they are ignoring me. Not uncommon but not normal either. So hopefully they reply soon. I've heard nothing on my EU261 claim either.

-RM
Old Apr 1, 2023, 12:00 pm

Good luck and let us know how you make out. Just yesterday I resent the receipt for my hotel to 1K Voice because they are ignoring me. Not uncommon but not normal either. So hopefully they reply soon. I've heard nothing on my EU261 claim either.
EU261 (including reimbursements pursuant to it) has to go through an offshore regulatory queue. 1k voice isn't supposed to touch them and just forwards it to the correct queue. Their standard processing time is 30 days.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 12:54 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by peterjmag
Just wanted to share my timeline for a successful claim. After reading some other people's experiences in this thread, I decided to try to claim both the 300 USD travel credit and then file the EC261/2004 compensation claim later to see if it worked, and it did. (If it happens again in the future, I'll be curious to see if they still offer me any travel credit, knowing that I took both once before....
This was my history for around five years. The delay/cancellation rate for my UA flights was ridiculous.

Always claimed both. I always waited for the customer appreciation to hit before claiming the EU compensation. Now this was all pre-COVID.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

-RM
I received a reply in about six hours. Counter-offer of a $1000 travel credit or 50,000 miles; but they'd send me the 600E check if I prefer. I chose the $1000 credit as I have a bunch of tickets to buy! I also send in my hotel/meal invoice for reimbursement separately as instructed by GS Customer Care.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
EU261 (including reimbursements pursuant to it) has to go through an offshore regulatory queue. 1k voice isn't supposed to touch them and just forwards it to the correct queue. Their standard processing time is 30 days.
Originally Posted by wxguy
I received a reply in about six hours. Counter-offer of a $1000 travel credit or 50,000 miles; but they'd send me the 600E check if I prefer. I chose the $1000 credit as I have a bunch of tickets to buy! I also send in my hotel/meal invoice for reimbursement separately as instructed by GS Customer Care.
Not sure how 30 days and 6 hours are even remotely close. I'm nearly 14 days now and still not a word. I don't mind waiting but I wouldn't think GS would make the difference between a 6 hour response and waiting 30 days.

-RM
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I filed my claim 4 weeks and 1 day ago. Haven't heard a thing. Meanwhile a GS who filed ten days after me (for a different FRA-IAD cxl) got a reply in six hours. This is a ridiculous process.

I called the 1K line yesterday to inquire about this and they said my "file is in queue" and I will hear something back by the end of the month.

Kinda wanted the $1,000 voucher to book a ticket to Europe for next week.

-RM
Old May 3, 2023, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on my claim: I filed in mid-March and just today received an email from [email protected] offering me $1,000 or 50,000 miles or a check for $654. I opted for the United voucher (duh). Email says it can take 3-5 days to process it.

So 6 weeks appears to be the going rate right now for these things.

-RM
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 3:59 pm

Update on my claim: I filed in mid-March and just today received an email from [email protected] offering me $1,000 or 50,000 miles or a check for $654. I opted for the United voucher (duh). Email says it can take 3-5 days to process it.

So 6 weeks appears to be the going rate right now for these things.

-RM
As noted above, I had the same offer, but it came within six hours of submission to GS. After I selected the voucher, it came in about 15 minutes. I was very surprised at both! But I'm glad you got what you deserved, Rob!
RobOnLI likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.