Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight passenger in middle seat

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hughw
if they don't fit: with one seat belt extender, or the arm rest can't be lowered
This brings back a great memory for me. One of those times you laugh so hard you cry and then laugh even more because your crying.

Picture it: Large person in middle seat (LPMS) , California surfer dude in aisle seat (CSDAS).

LPMS pulls up arm rest and literally expands so he's taking up about quarter of CSDAS's personal space.

CSDAS is not happy. He goes to put down the arm rest. LPMS says words to effect, I wouldn't do that. CSDAS does it anyway.

LPMS lets out (no polite way of saying it) a lot of gas when the arm rest comes down on his stomache. LPMS lifts up arm rest again.

CSDAS is a little wary now and pulls down arm rest very gently.

LPMS lets out more gas but less than before.

This happens a few more times.

CSDAS gives up and blames "the system".

I'm sorry if this offends some of you, but they were both characters and the situation funny.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:46 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bigbit
Of course, COdbaUA has made that impossible to happen in any case, as under the new CO rules, the upgrade priority of those on a group PNR now follows the status of the LEAST status-ranking passenger (used to be the highest-ranking under pmUA), so my upgrade priority is determined by the status of EXTRASEAT Bigbit, who has no status whatsoever - so I'm sitting in the back whether I like it or not.
Here's a thought....I notice that you are a MM. Can you gift your status to EXTRASEAT Bigbit and it will carry your 1K status as well? Obviously EXTRASEAT Bigbit shares your address.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Here's a thought....I notice that you are a MM. Can you gift your status to EXTRASEAT Bigbit and it will carry your 1K status as well? Obviously EXTRASEAT Bigbit shares your address.
EXTRASEAT does not have its own MP number... the purchaser gets to earn the RDM's for the extra seat but not PQM's.. so there's no MP number to nominate for the status.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:00 pm

Angry Overweight Passenger (Customer Service FAIL!) - Chicago(ORD) -> Orange County(SNA)

UNITED AIRLINES NEEDS BETTER POLICY TO ADDRESS OVERWEIGHT PASSENGERS!

When traveling on United this past weekend, from Chicago to Orange County I had the worst customer service experience of my life. The incident was with respect to a passenger who was morbidly obese (400+ lbs) and encroaching into ticketed seats of other passengers.

Upon boarding United Flight 1067 from ORD->SNA I noticed a very large man sitting in the middle seat of Row 23. As I approached the row I noticed the woman in the window seat, 23A, was holding her nose (in response to a putrid odor), and half of her seat was being encroached by the man in 23B. The passenger in 23B had only purchased one seat, and was over 400 pounds. The armrest would not go down on either side of passenger.

I attempted to sit down in my seat, 23C, but was unable to sit without turning my body at a 45 degree angle, with my legs and feet obstructing the aisle. There was no chance of moving the arm rest down, and passenger in 23B was taking up 1/2 of my seat. The odor coming from the passenger was also unbearable.

After attempting to make room (about 30 seconds) I proceeded to remove myself from the situation by walking to the front of the plane to consult the flight attendants. The FAs said they were aware of this passenger, but had no protocall to remove passenger or accommodate me... The flight was overbooked. The FA called for a supervisor and after 15-20 minutes UA/ORD supervisor came to access the situation.

Supervisor half-heartedly apologized but explained that the only policy in place was a "fit to fly" rule. Any passenger who does not fit in their ticketed seat must be required to purchase a second seat. At this point the flight had missed its scheduled departure time and other passengers had come to the front of the aircraft to complain of the odor coming from passenger in 23B.

The situation ended with myself deboarding the plane, giving up my seat, and I was placed on a later flight. With the flight already delayed due to this situation I am nearly positive the overweight passenger was not forced to purchase any extra ticket. Due to losing my seat on flight 1067, I missed a family member's birthday dinner and I do not feel the supervisor handled this matter properly. This year alone I have flown over 70,000 miles (All Domestic) with United Airlines and have never had a customer experience this poor. I have submitted this complaint to UA and sincerely hope that this matter is addressed in proper fashion.

Anyone else have a similar experience? What was your outcome?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 19, 2012 at 5:45 pm Reason: name of employee removed, per FT policy
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bwright348
Supervisor half-heartedly apologized but explained that the only policy in place was a "fit to fly" rule. Any passenger who does not fit in their ticketed seat must be required to purchase a second seat.
The rest of the policy is that if the passenger doesn't purchase the second seat they are the one who is supposed to be offloaded, not the other passengers around them. I'd write in to customer service and ask for IDB compensation as you were unable to occupy the seat you purchased.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
UNITED AIRLINE NEEDS BETTER POLICY TO ADDRESS OVERWEIGHT PASSENGERS!

When traveling on United this past weekend, from Chicago to Orange County I had the worst customer service experience of my life. The incident was with respect to a passenger who was morbidly obese (400+ lbs) and encroaching into ticketed seats of other passengers.

Upon boarding United Flight 1067 from ORD->SNA I noticed a very large man sitting in the middle seat of Row 23. As I approached the row I noticed the woman in the window seat, 23A, was holding her nose (in response to a putrid odor), and half of her seat was being encroached by the man in 23B. The passenger in 23B had only purchased one seat, and was over 400 pounds. The armrest would not go down on either side of passenger.

I attempted to sit down in my seat, 23C, but was unable to sit without turning my body at a 45 degree angle, with my legs and feet obstructing the aisle. There was no chance of moving the arm rest down, and passenger in 23B was taking up 1/2 of my seat. The odor coming from the passenger was also unbearable.

After attempting to make room (about 30 seconds) I proceeded to remove myself from the situation by walking to the front of the plane to consult the flight attendants. The FAs said they were aware of this passenger, but had no protocall to remove passenger or accommodate me... The flight was overbooked. The FA called for a supervisor and after 15-20 minutes UA/ORD supervisor (Todd A?) came to access the situation.

Supervisor half-heartedly apologized but explained that the only policy in place was a "fit to fly" rule. Any passenger who does not fit in their ticketed seat must be required to purchase a second seat. At this point the flight had missed its scheduled departure time and other passengers had come to the front of the aircraft to complain of the odor coming from passenger in 23B.

The situation ended with myself deboarding the plane, giving up my seat, and I was placed on a later flight. With the flight already delayed due to this situation I am nearly positive the overweight passenger was not forced to purchase any extra ticket. Due to losing my seat on flight 1067, I missed a family member's birthday dinner and I do not feel the supervisor handled this matter properly. This year alone I have flown over 70,000 miles (All Domestic) with United Airlines and have never had a customer experience this poor. I have submitted this complaint to UA and sincerely hope that this matter is addressed in proper fashion.

Here's a similar thread currently on page 1 of the forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...le-seat-3.html

The supervisor in your case was wrong about the policy though.. if the arm rests would not go down he should have been forced to purchase a second seat or if none were available put on another flight. You should write complain to UA for sure.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
provided you reached your destination two hours or more later (I think this is the cutoff now) you should be due IDB compensation. write in to CS, calmly but fully explain the situation (your post here was a little bit fervent, but rightly so) and request IDB compensation citing the fact that you were unable to occupy the seat you purchased and the COS was not IDB'd as should have happened. i may be mistaken but i think IDB compensation is to be in cash or equivalent, and not in airline credit. others might correct me.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:28 pm

Wow, that's bogus. They should had removed the fat guy.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Supervisor was dead wrong. United has a very strong policy. Judging by the flight number it was mainline and not an express flight which would muddy the waters.

Here is the web page for United's policy.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ddrost1
provided you reached your destination two hours or more later (I think this is the cutoff now) you should be due IDB compensation. write in to CS, calmly but fully explain the situation (your post here was a little bit fervent, but rightly so) and request IDB compensation citing the fact that you were unable to occupy the seat you purchased and the COS was not IDB'd as should have happened. i may be mistaken but i think IDB compensation is to be in cash or equivalent, and not in airline credit. others might correct me.
I find it fascinating that folks like the OP come here to rant, but if they had read this forum a day ago, they'd have known their rights, and the GA would've been forced to move the COS.

The issue, and no disrespect to the FT who's a COS in the other thread, is that the COS oftentimes does not feel that s/he is in the wrong, and will make a bigger "stink" than others in a row if they feel singled out. I'm sure every FA's dealt with this, and hence their reluctance to do anything. (Kevin Smith, anyone?)
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I had a similar experience CLT-ORD last year, I wrote about it someplace on FT but cant remember where.

There difference in my situation is the "you" (passenger who's seat was obstructed) didn't act in the proper manner like you did. They went through the whole DYKWIA routine and looked like a donkey doing it.

Because I had a tight connection and am oddly svelt (28-32 pants baby! ), I gave the donkeys rear my exit row seat and had a perfectly fine flight chatting with the passenger of size all the way to ORD.

A CS agent was never called to the plane, this was among the FA's, Mr. Donkey and I.

Post 737 Woo Hoo a airplane reference.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:41 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
The situation ended with myself deboarding the plane, giving up my seat, and I was placed on a later flight.
How does anyone in their right mind (so far 2 people have suggested) that this is an IDB? The OP removed himself from a flight. Did the airline deny him boarding due to oversales? (a flight that may be overbooked, but for which the OP was asigned a seat does NOT fall under the DoT's or UA's def of IDB.)

The situation was not handled well, but how does throwing out the words "IDB" help the situation? They don't becuase they have absolutely zero to do with the situation. We all know IDB is a term, a regualted thing, with specific criteria to be met. If those criteria aren't met, then how does shoutin it out do anything except distract us from th actual issues? One might as well yell "Fire", "Rape", "Racist" or some other charged phrase that is not pertinant to the case.

If the armrests could not go down, then the large person should have been removed without having pre-purchased a 2nd seat, providing there were no addl open seats in the cabin. There is no way that boarding the number of passengers equal to the capacity of the aircraft is an IDB situation.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:46 pm

Nice story Madone. I too am a smaller guy, 28 inch waist, so it is shocking that any individual is too large to accommodate myself as a neighbor.

UA CS has been notified of situation. No response yet.

This flight was booked with award travel credit (25k miles). How does IDB compensation work on non-monetary bookings?

Originally Posted by fastair
How does anyone in their right mind (so far 2 people have suggested) that this is an IDB? The OP removed himself from a flight. Did the airline deny him boarding due to oversales? (a flight that may be overbooked, but for which the OP was asigned a seat does NOT fall under the DoT's or UA's def of IDB.)

The situation was not handled well, but how does throwing out the words "IDB" help the situation? They don't becuase they have absolutely zero to do with the situation. We all know IDB is a term, a regualted thing, with specific criteria to be met. If those criteria aren't met, then how does shoutin it out do anything except distract us from th actual issues? One might as well yell "Fire", "Rape", "Racist" or some other charged phrase that is not pertinant to the case.

If the armrests could not go down, then the large person should have been removed without having pre-purchased a 2nd seat, providing there were no addl open seats in the cabin. There is no way that boarding the number of passengers equal to the capacity of the aircraft is an IDB situation.
I too thought requesting IDB compensation may be extreme... what does everyone feel is proper compensation?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 19, 2012 at 5:47 pm Reason: merge
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Originally Posted by aacharya
I find it fascinating that folks like the OP come here to rant, ....
In defense of the OP, I don't think he was "ranting." Complaining, asking for advice, sharing his unfortunate experience, yes, but not ranting.

When I imagine myself in this situation (alone or travelling with my wife), I too think I would have removed myself from this unpleasant situation (where no happy resolution would be forthcoming) and asked to be put on a later flight.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too thought requesting IDB compensation may be extreme... what does everyone feel is proper compensation?
How much later did you get to your destination? If you had stayed on the original flight and squished in you might have had a legitimate complaint for compensation on that flight. You removed yourself so that eliminates most avenues of compensation. Now the fact that the supervisor was wrong in the situation may entitle you to compensation but definitely not IDB compensation. The fact that you missed the dinner is irrelevant. You took yourself off the flight. So I would pursue the course of the supervisor and FA's did not follow policy which forced you to take yourself off the flight and see what it gets you. But if you try for IDB you will get nowhere. Maybe print a copy of the policy and take it with you in case this ever happens again. Then when the FA's and supervisor say sorry, no policy. You can say ah, but there is, and here it is, now remove the passenger of size.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.