Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Which is more informative
Flights SFO-YUL
UA 1102
UA 8302 (Operated by Air Canada)

or

UA 1102
AC 520

to me the second is much more informative.
What? But the fare quoted was for connecting to UA8302 not to AC520. Although they are physically the same flight, I believe that the former was the correct way of displaying it.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Flights SFO-YUL
UA 1102

or

UA 1102
AC 520

But they present different information. The second segment in the first case is booking a UA codeshare on the AC flight, whereas the second case is booking the AC flight under its native flight number. It's not just a matter of presentation - they represent two different situations.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:02 pm

Flights SFO-YUL
UA 1102

or

UA 1102
AC 520

I agree with WineCountry. I think it's confusing to list a codeshare under a UA flight number. We understand it because we see it all the time and are frequent fliers, but if you're in a rush or not a FF, it can be confusing.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Flights SFO-YUL
UA 1102
That would actually be okay. The problem is this:

UA 6102 (Operated by Skywest)
UA 110
UA 3456 (Operated by Express Jet)
UA 2617 (Operated by Shuttle America)
UA 8726 (Operated by GoJet)
UA 3623 (Operated by Trans States)
UA 4567 (Operated by Mesa)
UA 7834 (Operated by Chauautqua)

The credit card benefits apply for 8 of the 9. The average person will not be able to decipher which.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by murphyUA

UA 110

The credit card benefits apply for 8 of the 9. The average person will not be able to decipher which.
Aren't those codeshare flights (US, AC, LH) listed under separate section called "Partner Flights"?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA 110

I just looked at my upcoming reservation that has 2 UA Express flights. They are both listed as you show but more. Here is what mine shows

Operated by Shuttle America Airlines dba United Express.

All my express flights have been listed that way on the new United website. Clearly stating they are part of United. If it just says Operated by Air Canada that in no way implies it is a United flight. Only that it is an Air Canada flight with a UA flight number, hence a codeshare. And the terms and conditions of the card specifically say codeshare flights don't count.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

UA 110

UX flights are not codeshares, UX providers do no sell seats for those flights, the rules / waivers / ... are UA driven. The departure boards don't typical show the the UX flights numbers. UX situation is very different from AC codeshares.

Originally Posted by andryas
What? But the fare quoted was for connecting to UA8302 not to AC520. Although they are physically the same flight, I believe that the former was the correct way of displaying it.
perhaps for the airlines -- but confusing and deceptive for many customers.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:31 pm

UX flights are not codeshares, UX providers do no sell seats for those flights, the rules / waviers / ... are UA driven. The departure boards don't typical show the the UX flights numbers. UX situation is very different from AC codeshares.
I didn't claim any of that.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
so we agree UX flights are fundamentally different from codeshare with partners like AC, LH, US, ....
So we can focus on the issue of codeshares.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:37 pm

so we agree UX flights are fundamentally different from codeshare with partners like AC, LH, US, ....
So we can focus on the issue of codeshares.
I think we're saying the same exact thing. You said (upthread) that the way the flights were presented could be confusing to some people. I was just adding that it gets even more confusing when you add in the flights that also are not operated by United, but do receive the CC benefits. It has nothing to do with codeshares vs UX.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You didn't claim it but the way you presented your data kind of implied it as you put incomplete information for the United Express operators. See my post just above as to how they list on UA in your reservations.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
You didn't claim it but the way you presented your data kind of implied it as you put incomplete information for the United Express operators. See my post just above as to how they list on UA in your reservations.
I don't buy that the "dba UNITED EXPRESS" makes everything as crystal clear as you make it sound.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:44 pm

I think we're saying the same exact thing. You said (upthread) that the way the flights were presented could be confusing to some people. I was just adding that it gets even more confusing when you add in the flights that also are not operated by United, but do receive the CC benefits. It has nothing to do with codeshares vs UX.
-- this discussion is about codeshares and the mis-impression that gives to some customers. UX dba UA (while UA pilots have some beefs with this) is not confusing to customers as far as their cc benefits or who they complain to or ... so probably extranous to this discussion.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:53 am

-- this discussion is about codeshares and the mis-impression that gives to some customers. UX dba UA (while UA pilots have some beefs with this) is not confusing to customers as far as their cc benefits or who they complain to or ... so probably extranous to this discussion.
I don't understand what is so difficult to understand.

My point is the intermingling of "Operated by" with codeshares and UX flights adds to the confusion. Some "operated by" flights (the UX ones) will have full UA and CC benefits, while other "operated by" flights (the codeshares) won't. All of these will have a UA flight number.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I will not say OP is being conned or not.

UA has re-developed the receipt for eticket. Go check and see if there is anything mentioning baggage allowance. See what it says right there.

Then you can know it is deceptive or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.