Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seanp7
Feb 2023: Many reports that Expert Mode checkbox is being disabled automatically / randomly (in some cases, repeatedly), and users have to opt back in on the website to re-enable Expert Mode.

Note on 18 Oct 2018 the fare class for upgrades changed from R to PZ
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Updated instructions (2022)
Originally Posted by Micp3208
... Try this:
My United > Settings > Special Preferences & Accomodations > Scroll down past search preferences and click “Enable expert mode”.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we’ll be re-launching Expert Mode as an opt-in feature later this afternoon. This feature will display all fare classes when shopping for flights on united.com. You can opt-in to this feature by logging into your MileagePlus account and following these steps:
  1. Go to united.com > My Account
  2. Select “Manage Profile”
  3. In the Preferences section, select “View All Flight Search Preferences”
  4. In the Expert Mode section, read and acknowledge the customer advisements
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the page

As always, thanks for your feedback and patience over the last couple weeks while we worked to make these changes.

Shannon

Archive thread: Expert Mode: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Expert Mode: opt-in to see upgrade visibility/fare bucket data/Issue staying enabled?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you activate expert mode and do a search for cash payment, you'll see inventory numbers. The inventory bucket for saver business is I, so look for the number next to the I.

Wow. That is something I never knew about. I have now activated Expert Mode but I can't seem to find the the "I". I do see that is says 6 business seats are available though. Are all 6 of those seats available to be booked with Business Saver? For some reason, I can only book one Business Saver ticket. When I add a passenger, it shows no availability.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Wow. That is something I never knew about. I have now activated Expert Mode but I can't seem to find the the "I". I do see that is says 6 business seats are available though. Are all 6 of those seats available to be booked with Business Saver? For some reason, I can only book one Business Saver ticket. When I add a passenger, it shows no availability.
With expert mode activated, on the website you need to click to expand the details, and then it will show a list of inventory numbers like J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P9PN2PZ0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN6Q9V9W 7S3T1L0K0G0N9XN0X0. In that example I has 0 inventory. You want to find a flight with I2 if you have two passengers.

The site is telling you no availability for Business Saver when you add a second passenger because inventory is I1, so you can't book two tickets (i.e. one ticket is available but two tickets are not available).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by fumje
With expert mode activated, on the website you need to click to expand the details, and then it will show a list of inventory numbers like J9JN9C9D9Z9ZN9P9PN2PZ0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN6Q9V9W 7S3T1L0K0G0N9XN0X0. In that example I has 0 inventory. You want to find a flight with I2 if you have two passengers.

The site is telling you no availability for Business Saver when you add a second passenger because inventory is I1, so you can't book two tickets (i.e. one ticket is available but two tickets are not available).
Is it likely or unlikely that more Business Saver seats will become available later? Do they allot x amount and when those are gone, they're gone?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it likely or unlikely that more Business Saver seats will become available later? Do they allot x amount and when those are gone, they're gone?
I can't say likely or unlikely in general. Business Saver seats can be opened up at a later time, but they of course can also not be opened up. (edit add: if you share some details about your desired flights, it might be possible to share some more specific insight.)

If there is one seat and you don't mind having two separate records, you can try booking at the same time with two different browsers. You will need to be quick, though.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:44 am

If there is one seat and you don't mind having two separate records, you can try booking at the same time with two different browsers. You will need to be quick, though.
I was actually going to try that.

What happens when two fares book simultaneously but there is only one seat available?

Also, here is the code info:
  • J4
  • C4
  • D4
  • Z4
  • P4
  • Y6
  • B6
  • M6
  • U6
  • H6
  • Q6
  • V6
  • W6
  • S0
  • T0
  • L0
  • K0
Why isn't there an I?

Last edited by iowa guy; Dec 14, 2018 at 2:14 pm Reason: Misspelling
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was actually going to try that.

What happens when to fares book simultaneously but there is only one seat available?

Also, here is the code info:
  • J4
  • C4
  • D4
  • Z4
  • P4
  • Y6
  • B6
  • M6
  • U6
  • H6
  • Q6
  • V6
  • W6
  • S0
  • T0
  • L0
  • K0
Why isn't there an I?
That seems a bit odd. Is it a partner flight?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That seems a bit odd. Is it a partner flight?
That definitely looks like a partner flight. Unfortunately, there's no way to see I inventory on partner flights that appear on the website as UA codeshares. You can find I inventory on FRA-HKG, but not on EWR-FRA.

There are paid tools available that will give you additional insight; ExpertFlyer definitely has award inventory and I believe KVS Tool does also. Alternatively, you can do it the hard way -- if it appears on a search for n but doesn't appear on a search for n+1, it's almost certainly because there are only n business saver seats available.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:06 pm

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
How to see if PN or PZ fares are available?

Hi,

I am trying to see the availability of using a GPU upgrade on a flight. I myself am not an elite but would be using someone else's. I found that there are V and W fares available. But how do I check if there is PZ or PN? In the advanced search I did select try to upgrade using mileage, and there it says that there is a waitlist. Does that show anything in regards to PZ/PN or is that even a step lower than that?

Thank you
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ghurty
In the advanced search I did select try to upgrade using mileage, and there it says that there is a waitlist. Does that show anything in regards to PZ/PN or is that even a step lower than that?
That means there is no PZ available.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:37 am

United Chase Card

I have a United Mileage Plus account. I am seeing lots of 22.5k one way tickets for some return dates next July LIH to DEN with a short stop in LAX or SFO. None with a short stop from DEN to LIH for 22.5k. I’m hoping to land the 22.5k nonstop flight at least one direction and was told a few weeks ago by somebody who has a United Explorer Chase card, they did indeed see a return home nonstop for 22.5k. I’m considering applying for this card just to have a chance to land those nonstop flights for about 180,000 points for our family of 4 . Just wondered if anybody who has one is seeing the non-stop DEN to LIH departing anytime between July 19-23? I hope I’m allowed to ask this here . Thanks !
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coloradotraveler
Just wondered if anybody who has one is seeing the non-stop DEN to LIH departing anytime between July 19-23? I hope I’m allowed to ask this here . Thanks !
You can ask, but you don't need to.

Search the forum for Expert Mode. If you activate it, you'll get a set of inventory information for each flight when you do a regular search (not an award search -- pretend like you're paying cash). The extra inventory available to credit card holders is inventory bucket XN. If you see XN4 or higher, that flight would be available if you got the card. (However: inventory can change at any time, so by the time you get the card and your account is updated, it's possible that it's gone).

Also: UA is making some changes to the way that they do their award pricing, effective for all flights after November 15. We're not sure exactly how that's going to affect things, so this trick may stop working. For right now, though, it works.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:53 am

You can ask, but you don't need to.

Search the forum for Expert Mode. If you activate it, you'll get a set of inventory information for each flight when you do a regular search (not an award search -- pretend like you're paying cash). The extra inventory available to credit card holders is inventory bucket XN. If you see XN4 or higher, that flight would be available if you got the card. (However: inventory can change at any time, so by the time you get the card and your account is updated, it's possible that it's gone).
I typed Expert Mode in the search bar in forums. Where do I go from there to see what credit card holders are seeing ? You mentioned I would need to activate something ?

Also: UA is making some changes to the way that they do their award pricing, effective for all flights after November 15. We're not sure exactly how that's going to affect things, so this trick may stop working. For right now, though, it works.
I have heard that too. If I do find the nonstop departing and returning flights at the 22.5k and her them booked before November, will I be affected by whatever changes Untied makes ?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 11, 2019 at 10:53 am Reason: repaired quotes
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have to activate Expert Mode in your profile. Look at the wiki on this page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html . The thread has some examples that should help explain it.

If you're able to book it at 22.5K, you won't be affected by any future changes.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:38 am

I enabled export mode in my United Mileage Plus account profile . Did a flight search by price and it shows me flights by their price in dollars . Don’t see anything about inventory, buckets, XN, etc. It displays results as if I’m looking to find the price in dollars of a flight with flight number , travel time , etc . So what am I missing to see this inventory XN4 or higher ?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 11, 2019 at 10:54 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Click on "Details" for each flight option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.