Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anybody tried this, do not board connecting flight even get boarding pass and scaned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anybody tried this, do not board connecting flight even get boarding pass and scaned

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum

thank you all. i got my answer.

thanks

Last edited by Daniel on the way; Sep 13, 2012 at 10:43 pm
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:19 pm

If you don't board SFO-LAX then the rest of the itinerary is void. If you are going to do this then dont even check in or scan the SFO-LAX BP.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott Gold
If the ticket is booked as a single itinerary and you don't get on (or scan and run) the SFO-LAX segment, the SFO-JFK ticket will be cancelled.

If the SFO-JFK leg is a completely separate ticket, then no problems.

I personally wouldn't want to have to explain to a LEO why I scanned my boarding pass and casually walked away from a plane, that may or may not have a piece of my checked luggage on board.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:20 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Getting a BP scanned and then not boarding risks a security situation.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
As well as potentially delaying the plane. Not a good or nice thing to do.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
The plane would be delayed because the passenger count would not match, they would have to figure out who did not get on the plane, then check to see of you had luggage. Huge security risk..don't do it
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
Getting a BP scanned and then not boarding risks a security situation.
doubt it would ever get that far as how does the OP think they will simply walk away. Once a agent sees that they arent heading to the jetway but are walking away theyd be stopped. Unless for some strange reason theres only 1 agent getting the flight off and I highly doubt that will be the case witha SFO-LAX flight

ive seen it happen when a person went thru and was caled by a traveling companion to come help them with something.Bingo in a flash the GA stopped doing everything and took the persons BP away and said when you are prepared to board come back to get it.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
The plane would be delayed because the passenger count would not match, they would have to figure out who did not get on the plane, then check to see of you had luggage. Huge security risk..don't do it
And once they figure out it's you, they'd unload you and the rest of your itinerary would likely be canceled anyway.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:34 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Not only that, but weight and balance gets thrown off as well.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PWMRamper
Not only that, but weight and balance gets thrown off as well.
ok, thank you all, i just want to figure out how to not board sfo-lax and sfo-jfk is still valid.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you have a single ticket JFK-SFO-LAX / SFO-JFK and you want to remove the SFO-LAX segment, your best option is to change your itinerary either online or via an agent. This will probably not be free unless there are travel waivers in JFK, SFO, or LAX; or unless one of your flights is delayed or cancelled for some reason, e.g. weather delays.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:55 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Daniel on the way
ok, thank you all, i just want to figure out how to not board sfo-lax and sfo-jfk is still valid.
Not possible with your current ticket. You will lose.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
If you have a single ticket JFK-SFO-LAX / SFO-JFK and you want to remove the SFO-LAX segment, your best option is to change your itinerary either online or via an agent. This will probably not be free unless there are travel waivers in JFK, SFO, or LAX; or unless one of your flights is delayed or cancelled for some reason, e.g. weather delays.
personally I think it would be worth a try @ SFO to ask an airport agent to cancel the SFO-LAX segment. Provide a good story for dropping the segment and if the agent doesn't think you are try game the pricing system, you just might have a chance. The other option is get a cheap return from LAX.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
personally I think it would be worth a try @ SFO to ask an airport agent to cancel the SFO-LAX segment. Provide a good story for dropping the segment and if the agent doesn't think you are try game the pricing system, you just might have a chance. The other option is get a cheap return from LAX.
Thanks, if it is part of a reward ticket, any better chance to avoid SFO-LAX. I really appreciate the suggestion from you all.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks, if it is part of a reward ticket, any better chance to avoid SFO-LAX. I really appreciate the suggestion from you all.
actually that will make it easier -- deleting a segment from an reward ticket is very possible as long as the new ticket is a valid award. There may be a fee depending on whose miles were used. Worth a call to find out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.