Wiki Posts
Search

United Club Premium Wines

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
It's a darn shame these wines can't make their way to Int'l F at the least.
I agree here completely. The wine list on Global First is an embarrassment. If they can serve this at the Club, then they can certainly afford to serve it in Global First. I've flown on Emirates, British Air, and other International First, and their wines are really top notch. COdbaUA Global First wines simply are not at the level they need to be for the product they claim they are selling.

Out of curiosity, do they serve premium wines in the Int'l First Lounge? Or are the premium wines in the regular lounge better?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Had the Rombauer Chard on Thursday night -- very nice. Only charged me $7. Are the whites cheaper than the reds? I did use my MP Club Visa.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:13 pm

United Club Premium Wines

The reds are good also. The price of the premium wines is very close to cost so even though we pay for them I still find value in them.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TimF1975
I asked one of the bartenders about it and they had no idea so I looked it up. From what I could gather, it's a gin/juice mix and popular in England. Never tried it.
Pimms No 1 is a blend of Gin and herbs/spices/fruit. In the UK it's generally a summer drink served with fruit and tonic or sprite/7up. Lovely drink and deceptively lethal. I'd never drink it in a bar in the US as they're unlikely to have a load of fresh chopped fruit and mint to hand in order to make it properly.

Pims No 3 poured into warm apple juice is my favourite.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex_b
Pimms No 1 is a blend of Gin and herbs/spices/fruit. In the UK it's generally a summer drink served with fruit and tonic or sprite/7up. Lovely drink and deceptively lethal. I'd never drink it in a bar in the US as they're unlikely to have a load of fresh chopped fruit and mint to hand in order to make it properly.

Pims No 3 poured into warm apple juice is my favourite.
I have a feeling it had something to do with The Olympics being in London and United's sponsorship of same.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by Steve M
No, you don't have to page to drink. As someone else alluded to, booze is still free at the UA lounges. In addition to the free beer, wine, and liquor that the pmCO clubs have always offered, they also now have premium wines that are available for purchase. No need to get all wound up about this.

In fact, the free booze at the clubs come from pmCO and Smisek. Didn't the pmUA lounges used to charge for all alcohol? Not only is your anger unfounded, the actual situation is completely the opposite of what you're implying.
I think some would argue that it was still better in PMUA days as we got 2 free drink chits when we entered, and could get 2 free top shelf wines. Post merger the drinks are free no chit required, but the drinks offered for free are not so good and we have to pay for the good ones. So what used to be limited free top shelf drinks, was replaced with unlimited poor quality drinks.

I know I often long for the good old days of PMUA, but IMHO the free wine offered at the PMCO clubs was far better than the free wine offered today at the UC. They really cut good things both airlines had to offer in the past.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emanon256
So what used to be limited free top shelf drinks, was replaced with unlimited poor quality drinks.
Of course LH, NZ etc still manage to offer unlimited and high quality drinks, plus you don't need to tip a surly bar tender each time.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emanon256
I think some would argue that it was still better in PMUA days as we got 2 free drink chits when we entered, and could get 2 free top shelf wines. Post merger the drinks are free no chit required, but the drinks offered for free are not so good and we have to pay for the good ones. So what used to be limited free top shelf drinks, was replaced with unlimited poor quality drinks.

I know I often long for the good old days of PMUA, but IMHO the free wine offered at the PMCO clubs was far better than the free wine offered today at the UC. They really cut good things both airlines had to offer in the past.
It's not like the free drinks are that bad. I can get a Sam Adams draft or Goose Island in ORD. Also, Beefeater and tonic is my normal cocktail of choice which is free.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: Recovering after 7 years of UA 1K, Still UA Silver (Which means nothing), Marriott Lifetime Plat Pre
Originally Posted by alex_b
Of course LH, NZ etc still manage to offer unlimited and high quality drinks, plus you don't need to tip a surly bar tender each time.
I LOVE LH!!!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
When we flew to EZE a few years ago, we had a long layover in IAD, so we killed time in the club down by the lower C gates. The bartender that night was making killer Manhattans. Woowee!! And since some in our group don't drink, a few of us scarfed up their drink chits (back in the day) to make sure none went unused.

We were flying high before we got on the plane.

The cheap stuff is free. But if you want the good stuff, you gotta pay.

The choice is yours.
I still disagree. I think it is preposterous, that we should have to pay for any beverage in the UC - after paying for a membership. This true whether they are serving a 1938 Dom Perignon - or a bottle of Mogen David that was bottled last week.

I haven't set foot in a UC in years. I patently refuse to pay for a membership - especially when they begi to use "cafeteria" style pricing, like this. It is bad enough that we have to put up with the cafeteria model on the plane; why should we put up with it at the club as well?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:10 pm
Suspended

I still have some left-over "Red Carpet club" drink coupons with no expiration dates on them. Can I use these coupons to get the expensive wines (by the glass)?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mama
I still have some left-over "Red Carpet club" drink coupons with no expiration dates on them. Can I use these coupons to get the expensive wines (by the glass)?
No.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LEONIDES
I still disagree. I think it is preposterous, that we should have to pay for any beverage in the UC - after paying for a membership. This true whether they are serving a 1938 Dom Perignon - or a bottle of Mogen David that was bottled last week.
Your post is preposterous. Do you want quality wines or not? These are ~$60 retail bottles sold at that price. Would be 2-3x in a restaurant. They make no profit on them when accounting for labor (presumably they get them at wholesale, a bit below retail).

You can enjoy the free swill or you can pay cost for some pretty good wines. If you don't want to pay, then just pretend they don't exist. @:-) If you're buying a $15-20k FC flight you can complain (since you'd probably get similar wines for free in the LH/SQ/etc. lounge), but $400 a year does not make you a high ball-er.

Do they still have the Duckhorn Merlot? One of my favorites!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Note that the wine menu at the bar says that there is a $3 discount when using the United MileagePlus Club Card or the CO Presidential Plus card.

I am at LAX and am trying the Stag. (Oh, the bartender saw my United MP CC in my hand when I ordered, and he proactively told me about the discount, and I got it.)

Last edited by hooterbif; Sep 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm Reason: added bit
Old Sep 17, 2012, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mama
Originally Posted by TimF1975
No.
Are these "Red Carpet Club" drink coupons still good for anything? or should I just throw them out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.