Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Only fare classes available are J, C, Y and B?

Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

I've been watching flights from EWR-TLV for early April 2013. I checked again today and found that the fare was about $400 higher than what I've seen. Looking at the outbound flight selected, I saw it was fare class B.

I checked ExpertFlyer and found that both UA84 and UA90 (the 2 non-stops daily from EWR-TLV) showed J9 C9 Y9 and B9 with all other buckets at 0. Further checking showed that this is the case from 3/31-4/8/13 and that the dates on other sides have a wider variety of fare classes available.

Seat maps for flights in that range show tons of availability. This feels like a mistake, but wondering if it is common/possible for fare classes to be that restricted (and more importantly, stay that restricted) for a flight so far in the future.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:31 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
march 31 is easter.....popular time for that area..

mar 27-apr 10 was ~ $1300 on a bunch of carriers incl ua...

what are your dates?

Last edited by clacko; Sep 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:03 pm
In Memoriam

google shows this....might have a bearing on travel....

Yom Ha'atzmaut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Ha'atzmaut - Cached - Similar
2012 date, 26 April. 2013 date, 16 April ... Most of the official events take place in Israel's capital city Jerusalem, and are broadcast live on television.
History - Yom Ha'atzma'ut observances - Timing - Arab Reactions
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Traveling 05 Apr, returning 17 Apr (from Amman, Jordan). Home city is DEN - that part of the outbound route to EWR looks fine.

Seems like these dates are too late for Easter to be a factor and too early for the other event, but who knows. The LH flights from DEN-TLV are hundreds cheaper, but we're trying to keep this on UA metal for E+.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clacko
google shows this....might have a bearing on travel....

Yom Ha'atzmaut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Ha'atzmaut - Cached - Similar
2012 date, 26 April. 2013 date, 16 April ... Most of the official events take place in Israel's capital city Jerusalem, and are broadcast live on television.
History - Yom Ha'atzma'ut observances - Timing - Arab Reactions
More likely tied to Passover (Passover begins in the evening of Monday, March 25, 2013, and ends in the evening of Tuesday, April 2, 2013) and Easter than Yom Ha'atzmaut. Passover actually drives traffic to/from Israel.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 4:34 pm
In Memoriam

i priced ewr-tlv spanning the event....fares ~$1450 rt for a bunch....
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Not too many people go to Israel just for Independence day.
During Passover and the Jewish New Year/Yom Kippur 2 week period, flights sell out quickly both in coach and BF and prices shoot up quickly.
That is driven by the many Israelis that live in the US as well as many non-Israeli Jews that visit Israel during that time.
As mentioned above, it may be cheaper to connect in Europe vs. non-stop from US to TLV.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:39 pm

This is typical - the prices are very likely to come down about 4 months before your flight date (cheaper fares haven't been loaded yet). I'd wait and check again in December. The higher fare classes will still be there at that time so very little risk in waiting.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, everyone. The timing of the high-price dates seems a bit odd, but it is what it is. I'll keep an eye on prices for sure. (Currently over $2100 for DEN-TLV rt for the dates I need - about $400-500 less for pretty much anything outside that 9-day window).
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Good news - M, E and U buckets were added overnight, so the fare is back down $400+. The return flights have S9 as well, which is about $250 cheaper each way, so I'm going to set an alert for that and hope that opens up by the time we buy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.