Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by wavid
Here's a puzzler - booked a multi-destination trip IAD-TPA-SFO-FRA|AMS-IAD. Didn't use a United credit card to pay (although part of it was covered by a VDB voucher), don't have status, but the baggage allowance list shows a free first checked bag for all of the segments on my itinerary.
Is this just a weird system/website glitch or should I actually expect to have a free checked bag?
So I'm a bit confused if you have a stopover somewhere en route (like at SFO). You should have a free bag certainly for the trans-Atlantic portions of the trip. A domestic stopover wouldn't have it though.
Two thoughts though:
1) The baggage calculator on the website is often incorrect, especially when partners are involved.
2) Print out your baggage allowance. If it says you are paying $0 then almost certainly you can successfully argue for $0.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Everyone gets at least on free checked bag on trans-continental international flight.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by astroflyer
So I'm a bit confused if you have a stopover somewhere en route (like at SFO). You should have a free bag certainly for the trans-Atlantic portions of the trip. A domestic stopover wouldn't have it though.
Two thoughts though:
1) The baggage calculator on the website is often incorrect, especially when partners are involved.
2) Print out your baggage allowance. If it says you are paying $0 then almost certainly you can successfully argue for $0.
All flights are on UA metal, with a stopover in each of the cities listed (e.g. IAD-TPA, with 2 days in TPA, before continuing to SFO).
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by wavid
All flights are on UA metal, with a stopover in each of the cities listed (e.g. IAD-TPA, with 2 days in TPA, before continuing to SFO).
Well, in theory you should pay for domestic flights to the stopover. But as I said before, carry your print out and maybe you'll get lucky.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:44 pm

UA gold checked bag allowance.

"For all United Economy® tickets issued or re-issued before February 1, 2015, Premier® Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. For United Economy tickets issued or re-issued on or after February 1, 2015, Premier Gold members are eligible for two complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For travel to and from select international markets, Premier Gold members are eligible for three complimentary checked bags at 70 pounds (32 kg) each. To determine specific checked baggage service charges, please use the baggage calculator below."

Does anyone know which international market still allows 3 bags?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by quintic
Does anyone know which international market still allows 3 bags?
I think it's any of the markets for which general flyers still get at least 1 free bag. Basically anything except N. America and maybe a couple other add-ons.

The baggage calculator is almost never correct with partners for me by the way.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:09 pm

Baggage Allowance: Upgrade to F

Considering a decent HOD offer to upgrade to F on a domestic flight.

It says "Free standard checked bag allowance." applies.

Does this mean I get the "standard" allowance for an F ticket or for a Y ticket?

As a non-status flyer, I'm trying to figure out if buying into F would get me one or two extra bags without a fee.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
Considering a decent HOD offer to upgrade to F on a domestic flight.

It says "Free standard checked bag allowance." applies.

Does this mean I get the "standard" allowance for an F ticket or for a Y ticket?

As a non-status flyer, I'm trying to figure out if buying into F would get me one or two extra bags without a fee.
F allowance. Two bags.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP will get the standard F baggage allownace for domestic travel.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:18 pm

Thanks ... so, by upgrading to F, I basically get 1 extra free bag.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyWorld
Thanks ... so, by upgrading to F, I basically get 1 extra free bag.
Technically, a non-status flyer gets 0 free bags. A credit card holder gets 1 free bag at 50 lbs maximum.

An F flyer gets 2 free bags at 70 lbs maximum.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Baggage allowance - intra-Europe and TATL legs

Doing ORD-FRA-BCN (train) MAD-FRA-ORD in the fall; just ticketed it and had to call because while a search turned up a UA codeshare MAD-FRA, when I went to ticket 15 minutes later, the website would only give me the LH flight. Everything else had UA flight numbers (FRA-BCN and MAD-FRA on LH metal of course)
Got a supervisor handling overflow and she tracked the UA flight down and said she had ticketed it - read back UA flight numbers for all legs. But when I got the confirmation, MAD-FRA is on LH1113 (website shows that as well)!

I'm in this thread to ask whether the LH booking for MAD-FRA is why I'm only allowed one free bag MAD-FRA-ORD limited to 50 lb, but 2 free bags up to 70 lb on ORD-FRA-BCN. (I had a sense that I'd be better off with the UA codeshare which is why I bothered with a phone agent at all...)

Can anyone point me to the relevant rules as to codeshare vs. partner flight numbers?
Old May 12, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lskohn
Doing ORD-FRA-BCN (train) MAD-FRA-ORD in the fall; just ticketed it and had to call because while a search turned up a UA codeshare MAD-FRA, when I went to ticket 15 minutes later, the website would only give me the LH flight. Everything else had UA flight numbers (FRA-BCN and MAD-FRA on LH metal of course)
Got a supervisor handling overflow and she tracked the UA flight down and said she had ticketed it - read back UA flight numbers for all legs. But when I got the confirmation, MAD-FRA is on LH1113 (website shows that as well)!

I'm in this thread to ask whether the LH booking for MAD-FRA is why I'm only allowed one free bag MAD-FRA-ORD limited to 50 lb, but 2 free bags up to 70 lb on ORD-FRA-BCN. (I had a sense that I'd be better off with the UA codeshare which is why I bothered with a phone agent at all...)

Can anyone point me to the relevant rules as to codeshare vs. partner flight numbers?
Your baggage charges will be determined by UA as the marketer and operator of first flight. The applicable charges are $0 for 1st and $100 for second. That being said, United waives the normal 2nd bag charge if you check in at a UA counter and you are 1K. The 2nd bag charge most likely will not be waived at another carrier's counter (ie in Madrid). At that point you'll be charged whatever that carrier charges, as long as it's no more than United's normal second bag charge of $100.

Normal UA bag weight limit is 50lbs. Certain Premiers get to avoid excess weight charges (ie the extra 20lbs) if you check in at a UA counter. When you check in at another carrier's desk, you are subject to UA's normal baggage policies, unless alleviated to whatever extent *G status gives you. In your case, the check-in at Madrid will be a free 50lb bag (UA normal policy and *G benefit are coincidentally the same here) and the 2nd bag (if no more than 50lbs) will incur a charge of no greater than $100. Codeshare (UA or LH flight #) doesn't make a difference.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 12, 2015 at 8:58 pm
Old May 14, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Sorry I may be a bit behind the times. But I'm giving an award ticket for a friend and don't want any surprises, re: baggage fee.

General member (no status)
Y seating
Not a MP credit card holder
1 piece luggage, not overweight
EWR-Mexico (PVR) international flight direct

I see on UA page that it's $25 1st bag / $40 2nd bag. I must have missed the memo where int'l travel is subject to a luggage fee for even the first checked bag? As a Plat I've never had to deal with my own luggage fees, but I want to set expectations for my friend. Thanks.

Last edited by miasmal; May 14, 2015 at 9:35 am
Old May 19, 2015, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I don't believe international was ever a criterion for exempting luggage charges. TATL, TPAC, and specific South American destinations was/is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.