Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General Baggage Allowance/Fee Questions (separate PNR's; award/paid combo, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:35 am

1k Travel Allowance

Hey,

i am traveling for my wedding in September down in the DR.

I am 1k my fiance is silver. we are flying EWR-PUJ using GPU's in first.

We have a lot of stuff we are brining down (favors, gifts, center pieces) so we will have a bunch of bags with us.

I know i get 3 bags @ 70lbs each-- does she also get 3 bags @ 70lbs being on my PNR?

if we need a 7th or 8th bag are they charged as normal extra bags or t some super high fee?

i know-- don't travel with stuff-- don't check a bag-- i know. this is an exception and we need to bring a lot of stuff down with us

any feedback would be great

thanks,
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jp12687
I know i get 3 bags @ 70lbs each-- does she also get 3 bags @ 70lbs being on my PNR?
Yes.

Originally Posted by jp12687
if we need a 7th or 8th bag are they charged as normal extra bags or t some super high fee?
I suppose that depends upon your definition of "super high." From the UA baggage calculator, you can see that bags beyond #3 (per passenger) are $150 each, in each direction. (It's ambiguous as to whether the limit on the extra bags is 50 pounds or 70 pounds, but that would only be an issue if you have 7+ 51+ pound bags).
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Just fill your carryon heavy and check them free at the gate.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:49 pm

Hello,
I'm a premier gold member at the moment and have gotten many different answers from agents regarding baggage allowances when I travel with my family. Most of the answers I find here are related to Award Tickets, but I'm interested in paid tickets.

If I book us all together, how many of them will receive the same baggage benefits as I have? I have heard 'just one companion' and I have also heard, 'everyone on the reservation'.

Once I checkin, and it asks me to go on the list for CPU and also put one companion on the CPU list. If I do so, there are now 3 confirmation numbers, one for me, one for CPU companion, and the original number for the rest of the family.

What baggage benefit do my family members receive? Am I now the only one with a baggage allowance?

What happens on the return flight? We had a huge hassle once on a return flight from Denver where they said that since were split up on the outbound, I was the only person that had a baggage allowance for the return flight.

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by djsinc
Hello,
I'm a premier gold member at the moment and have gotten many different answers from agents regarding baggage allowances when I travel with my family. Most of the answers I find here are related to Award Tickets, but I'm interested in paid tickets.

If I book us all together, how many of them will receive the same baggage benefits as I have? I have heard 'just one companion' and I have also heard, 'everyone on the reservation'.

Once I checkin, and it asks me to go on the list for CPU and also put one companion on the CPU list. If I do so, there are now 3 confirmation numbers, one for me, one for CPU companion, and the original number for the rest of the family.

What baggage benefit do my family members receive? Am I now the only one with a baggage allowance?

What happens on the return flight? We had a huge hassle once on a return flight from Denver where they said that since were split up on the outbound, I was the only person that had a baggage allowance for the return flight.

Thanks!
For bags -- everyone on the PNR get the same bag waiver as the highest elite.

For E+, you can have one companion, you do not need to split the PNR for that.

For CPU, you can have one companion, you do need to split the PNR for that.

Splitting the PNR will complicate the bag situation and will require manual intervention by the check-in agent. You need to ask the agent to check the new PNR for the other individuals to see the history. {This relates to the experience you had.} You have have to insist on a supervisor.

However, unless you really think you have a CPU opportunity (typically low for a Gold} forgo the CPU waitlist and stay on a single PNR. The hassle-free bag waiver is more valuable.

There is no difference if this is award travel or paid travel.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by djsinc
Hello,

Thanks!
Up to 9 people on the same PNR can share the baggage exemption.
So as a Premier Gold you can have 8 companions on your PNR that will have the ability to bring 2 (up to) 70 pound bags each. That's 18 bags for your 'group'. The rules on *A flights vary and are not as easily summarized.
I have found that splitting the PNR for a CPU is an enormous source of headaches. I have also had the agents 'give-in' after pushing back politely but firmly. That said, the wording of the policy is pretty clear that the companions have to be on the same reservation at time of travel.

Last edited by 8MiHi; Jul 19, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM
My son, Silver, is traveling from SFO-EWR-MAD. His upgrad (GPU) cleared to business class EWR to MAD, but not SFO-EWR . His record shows only 1 free bag. Does the fact that he is upgraded (using GPU) on Intl leg give him 2 free bags all the way though?
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by blueman2
My son, Silver, is traveling from SFO-EWR-MAD. His upgrad (GPU) cleared to business class EWR to MAD, but not SFO-EWR . His record shows only 1 free bag. Does the fact that he is upgraded (using GPU) on Intl leg give him 2 free bags all the way though?
Record probably is still picking up the information from when the record was originally created, pre-upgrade.

BF on the international segment will allow Premier Access for everything - priority checkin/boarding/security, and baggage allowance based on whatever the allowance is for TATL.

I'm sure he should get at least 2 bags - there is a bag calculator in the UA site where you can type in the itinerary, any status, cabin, etc. and it will give you the allowance. If you email the receipt - that should reset it and pull the updated numbers on the copy that is sent, but YMMV.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Hello

I priced an award ticket for a general member friend travelling UA USA-SIN, connecting on AI to MAA. All on one ticket SFO-SIN-MAA

The website says 1st bag free, 2nd is $100

However, UA allows 2 free bags to SIN, and AI allows 2 free bags on USA-India. AI even allows 40kg just for that last segment.

I know only the first carrier rules apply, but I think given the above my colleague is being hosed. What do you think? Any chance to appeal?

thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My wife (who has no UA status) is a Chase Explorer Cardholder and booked a domestic saver award ticket for herself and our three kiddos. The United receipt and itinerary online show that the first bag is $25 and second is $35. It was my understanding that she would receive one free bag for herself and one of our kids for free as she paid the fees and taxes with the Explorer Card. Am I misunderstanding this card benefit?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JaysonW
My wife (who has no UA status) is a Chase Explorer Cardholder ...
Is she the Primary cardholder? Not joint with you?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:47 pm

Yes, she is the primary cardholder.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by JaysonW
Yes, she is the primary cardholder.
And the miles came from her account?
Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers
Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, the miles were from her account. I was thinking perhaps it quoted the bag fees because she has herself and our three kids on the itinerary. Don't MP Explorer cardholders only get one bag free for themselves +1?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 6:07 pm

I am planing a trip to to Denmark

Leaving on United out of CLE change planes in IAD from there we are on
SAS to CPH

Question is , do we have to pay for luggage ? Website says " Luggage Fees
May Apply"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.