Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Publishing the Waitlist

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Publishing the Waitlist

Why does UA publish the waitlist names and positions after check-in but not before-hand. Why are the phone agents also so clandestine about telling you how long the waitlist is (and where you reside on the list)? Why not just publish the waitlist on a running basis and let customers see where they stand? Ultimately I end up calling, hoping I get an agent who can/will tell me where I stand when I would much prefer just watching online...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by UA840
Why does UA publish the waitlist names and positions after check-in but not before-hand. Why are the phone agents also so clandestine about telling you how long the waitlist is (and where you reside on the list)? Why not just publish the waitlist on a running basis and let customers see where they stand? Ultimately I end up calling, hoping I get an agent who can/will tell me where I stand when I would much prefer just watching online...
because it might confuse us.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: UAGLD, HH SILV, IHG PLAT, NAT.EXEC Elite,
Publishing the Waitlist

There's no list unless someone checks in...that's how the system is built
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA840
Why does UA publish the waitlist names and positions after check-in but not before-hand. .....
probably for a variety of reason but one is there are two different lists.

The "published" one is the gate waitlist which includes CPU, YBM and GPU/RPU/miles folks -- that is not published until OLCI starts and you will not be shown until you check-in.

Then there is the "waitlist" used before the gate -- it is different for a couple of reasons, such as folks outside their elite window are not eligible yet. It is my understanding this list is not a prioritized waitlist, not sorted but a list of those eligible to be considered for upgrades. The system dynamic builds a list each time a sweep is done and then throws away the prioritized list. So there is no way for the phone agent to tell you your position - just that you are on the list.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by hughw
+100 hahaha.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
So there is no way for the phone agent to tell you your position - just that you are on the list.

I don't think the phone agents can even authoritatively tell you that you're on the list. They can tell you you meet the criteria for upgrades (e.g., you're an Elite, you're on a revenue ticket, your Elite status shows, it looks good). But they can't tell you with certainty that EUA will see you at the next sweep.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by channa
I don't think the phone agents can even authoritatively tell you that you're on the list. They can tell you you meet the criteria for upgrades (e.g., you're an Elite, you're on a revenue ticket, your Elite status shows, it looks good). But they can't tell you with certainty that EUA will see you at the next sweep.
thanks for the further insight -- most of what I understand of this "process" comes from your posts, so hope I got the rest right.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:04 pm

You forgot the fact that employees depending on their union contract can knock someone out with positive space and even some Non Revs can bump people + Air Marshalls. More than enough reasons to not publish a list until gate
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
do GPUs/SWUs/Y-ups that are confirmed at the time of booking show in the "confirmed upgrades" list on .bomb/mobile/at the gate? it makes it hard to tell how many CPUs were actually issued for a given flight.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
I for one would like to see the waitlist for transparency sake. The quickest way to quell a conspiracy theory is to be honest and open.

For example, today I saw something happen with the waitlist for UA 976 IAD-DXB on Sept 15 that makes me uncomfortable.

As of Sept 12 - 777 new configuration(40 BF, 8 GF) - A3 F3 C3 D1 Z1

As of Sept 13 9am - 777 old configuration(49 BF, 12 GF) - flight status reported 4 GF and 39 BF seats sold

As of Sept 13 4pm - 777 old configuration - flight status reported 5 GF sold, 4 GF blocked and BF as full.

How did UA manage to fill/sell/upgrade 10 BF seats in a few hours? The BF waitlist for this flight is rarely longer than 5-6 people, sometimes 10. I'm a bit baffled as to how an 11 seats became 0 and I nor my companion got upgraded? We also got moved from an aisle and window to middle seats on the equipment change.

My reservation still lists the waitlist with the new seats. What could have happened? I'd feel much better if I could see the waitlist.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by hughw
Next step SMI/J might remove this info. watch out.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Ten replies so far, and no one has suggested the obvious: They don't want you knowing where you are on the list before you check in. If you "need" to be in a premium class, and knew you were at/near the top of the waitlist, would you pay for the seat instead? If you have no idea, you are more inclined to pay for it. It helps to sell F seats.

This is also proprietary info - if its open to you as a pax, its open to anyone, and I don't think UA would want their competitors looking at this data far in advance. This data, IMHO, will never be publicly available.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Ten replies so far, and no one has suggested the obvious: They don't want you knowing where you are on the list before you check in. If you "need" to be in a premium class, and knew you were at/near the top of the waitlist, would you pay for the seat instead? If you have no idea, you are more inclined to pay for it. It helps to sell F seats.

This is also proprietary info - if its open to you as a pax, its open to anyone, and I don't think UA would want their competitors looking at this data far in advance. This data, IMHO, will never be publicly available.
all good points and true, in addition, the list is probably quite dynamic at >48hrs from departure, with tickets still being sold and business folk canceling plans at the last minute, etc. i don't think the list would be very meaningful at 3, 4 or 5 days out from departure.

plus in my experience as a gold, i never get upgraded anymore anyways, so looking at the list just makes me angry. case in point - tomorrow IAH-FLL, i'm 3rd on the list for 3 remaining seats and plenty of possible TODs yet to check in i'm sure.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

I don't think that they always have sinister intentions. They just have lousy technology.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:47 pm

Ten replies so far, and no one has suggested the obvious: They don't want you knowing where you are on the list before you check in. ....
maybe but remember it was never available for PMUA either and only at the gate PMUA late in the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.