Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Expert Mode" Changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
Instead of fixing issues with upgrades, lets stop the ability of customers to see when they are getting hosed.

I'm so glad I stopped flying United. Burning my last few GPU's going to Oktoberfest this year. Losing status with United next year won't be so painful now since I won't be flying on them any more.

Been looking at switching to Delta for a long time, and now I'm at that point.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
SDC/Fare Availability

I also just realized that this really sucks for SDC purposes. "Expert Mode" made it easy to check SDC feasibility ahead of the 24 hour window (or within it but without the specific fare class available).

Really, truly bummed.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This further reinforces my (only half joking) theory that UA has made a minority (maybe now majority?) investment in EF, as they sure are finding ways to stimulate demand for the service
Maybe they should offer 1Ks a reimbursement of their subscription fee, like they do for Global Entry?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Well, at least this means that UA's call centers will be hiring, so the phone agents don't need to be afraid of lay offs.

If there is a business decision that this information shouldn't be available, dare I ask if the new GUI for agents might also make this information harder to get at?

Someone mentioned that AA removed this visibility as well, any AA flyers that can comment or tell us how they handle it?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by abaheti
If there is a business decision that this information shouldn't be available, dare I ask if the new GUI for agents might also make this information harder to get at?
I guarantee that they're removing it because people frequently called in complaining that their CPU hadn't cleared when R>0 within the window despite the fact that R inventory only tracks to instrument-supported upgrades. There are many threads on FT documenting people arguing with phone agents over this issue.

I sincerely hope that the inventory will still show up on EF, although I'm not all that optimistic about it.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Someone mentioned that AA removed this visibility as well, any AA flyers that can comment or tell us how they handle it?
Yes, and is all of the inventory fro AA available on EF? I have never bothered with EF, but if this is the direction airlines are going it may be a necessity hereafter...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'm not an AA expert (...yet), but you can still check for upgrade space for miles/instruments (the C/A buckets) on EF, they only lost the ability to see X space (the auto upgrades for EXPs / sticker upgrades for Golds/Plats)

You can still see fare class info for all the revenue classes on EF/KVS.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Muckus
Yes, and is all of the inventory from AA available on EF?
Instrument supported upgrade space IS available thru EF from AA. Equivalent to R/RN space. I am NOT optimistic that UA will make that available to EF, since one reason in their answer was to escape "scraping".

Dave
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

Later this evening we’ll be making a change on united.com that will remove the ability to see the specific allocation of seat inventory made to each Fare Class (this is the Fare Class hyperlink found in the right-most column when searching for flights or viewing itinerary details). I know that this is a popular feature for many of you here – in fact, we liked it too. But, it wasn’t without issues. Specifically, for many customers who are not as familiar with the ins and outs of fare structures, there was often room for this information to be misinterpreted. It also left the door open for undesired exposure that allowed automated scripts to scrape and re-display information in ways for which it was not intended.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
A shot in the dark here, but it would be nice to have a little more detail or explanation as to why the change is being made. Towards that end, could you please provide a few examples of how this information was being misinterpreted by customers and how this misinterpretation resulted in a negative customer experience? Same goes for the scraping. How could this information be “re-displayed” in such a way that it would have an adverse effect on UA or the customer?

Thanks.

Last edited by XLR26; Sep 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Insider
....It also left the door open for undesired exposure that allowed automated scripts to scrape and re-display information in ways for which it was not intended....
I suspect that refers to EF and KVS, both may lose the same display too.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA GS/3MM; American EXP; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Reminds me of the statement by the RNC spokesman last week abou not allowing their campaign to be dictated by fact (checkers), except in this case it business decisions....
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Wow, this is a terrible move. I use those values frequently to make decisions on booking flights, especially R values for regional and systemwide upgrades. I guess I will be calling United frequently to get that information, which will probably amount to a few hours a week.

Really poor, customer-unfriendly decision.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Angry United wants ignorant customers

Retail clothing chain Syms slogan:
AN EDUCATED CONSUMER IS OUR BEST CUSTOMER

United airlines slogan
AN IGNORANT CONSUMER IS OUR BEST CUSTOMER

It is sad to see the utter disregard for intelligent customers by United.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, SPG Plat
Really dislike this decision...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:31 pm

Does this mean X awards, super savers will no longer be available on ExpertFlyer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.