Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2017, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
"GG BUYUP" references to a policy (not publicly published) that UA will waive change fees, if on your presently booked flight you wish to buy-up / upfare to the next cabin. That is, pay the fare difference from your present economy fare to business / first.

If the agent is unfamiliar with the policy, ask them to reference "GG BUYUP" or ask a supervisor.

Note this is only on UA tickets and only applies to the same flight, flight changes are not permitted by policy (a rare agent might but generally no).

This does not waive change fees for buying-up to a "W" fare to apply a GPU but some agents may still waive the change fee and some may not.
Print Wikipost

Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee? {GG BUYUP}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So just to make sure I am clear on this. If I am on a G fare in 2 weeks, and I spot a nice P fare, I can call in and they will waive the change fee. Is it better to go right to calling web support, because the last 2 premier agents I talked to told me that I had to be within 24 hours to change.

Edited: I called web support, and the agent told me that she would do a "one-time waiver" of the change fee. I didn't argue about the code after that. She also told me that my RPU would be deposited back to my account only after the flight. Is that right?

Last edited by tomsundstrom; Feb 5, 2016 at 12:14 am
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:28 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tomsundstrom
So just to make sure I am clear on this. If I am on a G fare in 2 weeks, and I spot a nice P fare, I can call in and they will waive the change fee. Is it better to go right to calling web support, because the last 2 premier agents I talked to told me that I had to be within 24 hours to change. ....
IME once they punch it in, the computer will show $0 change fee.
Originally Posted by tomsundstrom
... She also told me that my RPU would be deposited back to my account only after the flight. Is that right?
That has been reported before but there is no reason the agent can not just change the RPU and get immediate redeposit.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1K
I made the mistake of explaining that I wanted the fee waived, rather than just asking for the price of an upgrade. Both of the premier agents just said it's not possible without checking.

I called back and the RPU was the agent indeed said she would redeposit it immediately.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
I did this last Wed. DFW-DEN.. middle segment of a multi-segment itinerary. 2 hours prior to departure.. saw sole seat in F open up. I'm #16 of a 40+ upgrade list. I was in UC and checked with agent to see if buy-up avail since nothing popping up on app. A few perfunctory key strokes and a "No buy-up avail". Went back to seat and called Premier desk. Great agent "Gwen".. didn't see any options avail but said she'd check fare desk. Came back after 5 min. or so and quoted me .. sizeable but manageable amount. No mention of fees, etc. no refare of entire itinerary. Just paid fare difference.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Just called to buy up from a G to a P. The reservation had already been upgraded via regionals, somewhat complicating things. The first agent apparently hit the magic upfare button, but the system gacked because there was no longer a "G" available. She called the rate desk and they insisted that there would be a change fee. Ok, thank you very much.

Waited a few minutes a called back and got a 40-year CO veteran (thank goodness). She explained the issue with my previous call, and I had my P fare (no change fee) and upgrades back in 3 minutes.

My suggestion: First ask the agent if they are familiar with {GG BUYUP}, and if they don't know what you're talking about, HUACA (Hang Up And Call Again).
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Anyone know if UA will let me buyup from a K fare purchased on Priceline with ANA segments on ANA stock, I just want to buy W and use a GPU, maybe ANA could do this??

Also I would prefer only one direction if possible

thanks

Last edited by whitethunder; Feb 5, 2016 at 8:02 pm
Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whitethunder
Anyone know if UA will let me buyup from a K fare purchased on Priceline with ANA segments on ANA stock, I just want to buy W and use a GPU, maybe ANA could do this??

Also I would prefer only one direction if possible

thanks
If on ANA ticket stock, you will need to talk to Priceline or ANA.

Was it a blind bid on Priceline, those may not allow changes?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If on ANA ticket stock, you will need to talk to Priceline or ANA.

Was it a blind bid on Priceline, those may not allow changes?
no I found the itin on ITA and used the matrix priceline script to purchase

I have googled it about ANA with no success I called priceline and they were completely useless, wanted to cancel and reticket... maybe call ANA??

Last edited by whitethunder; Feb 6, 2016 at 1:21 am
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:11 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I don't know if my agent was doing something wrong or if she was right, but she just quoted me about 3 times what I paid originally to buy up to P from S, which shouldn't be more then $190.
I have a IAH-SJC/SFO-IAH booked for next month. The outbound is already booked in F, but the return was in Y. I looked at the price difference today if I wanted to book a new itinerary, and the price of the outbound in F is the same as I paid. The price of the return in Y is the same as I paid. But the F cost went down about half, making it only $190 more then what I originally paid, right?
The 1K agent quoted me a total price of $1800. She said she had to reprice the ticket but if the same fare classes and prices are available whats making it be such a high cost?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by S.R
...She said she had to reprice the ticket but if the same fare classes and prices are available whats making it be such a high cost?
As I mentioned above, HUACA until you get a (hopefully) ex-CO agent who is familiar with {GG Buyup}. If you want to save time and aggravation, ask the agent right off the bat if he/she is familiar with {GG Buyup} and politely say "thank you" an move on if they are not.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by S.R
The 1K agent quoted me a total price of $1800. She said she had to reprice the ticket but if the same fare classes and prices are available whats making it be such a high cost?
Did you point this out to the agent? It is possible you had a true "1K" agent or "experienced" agent, but just as likely they were an ordinary agent or one with little experience, so I suspect they didn't try very hard. You can try calling again.

Does the website allow you to do this change for a better rate? If you can get this done on the website, that is the easiest option.

It is possible that the fare you purchased will not allow this without all segments/tickets being completely replaced by the currently on sale fare/itinerary. If that is the case, perhaps you can ask for a waiver of the change fee and have the agent help you build a brand new itinerary from the old one.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:51 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bonehead
As I mentioned above, HUACA until you get a (hopefully) ex-CO agent who is familiar with {GG Buyup}. If you want to save time and aggravation, ask the agent right off the bat if he/she is familiar with {GG Buyup} and politely say "thank you" an move on if they are not.
Originally Posted by johnden
Did you point this out to the agent? It is possible you had a true "1K" agent or "experienced" agent, but just as likely they were an ordinary agent or one with little experience, so I suspect they didn't try very hard. You can try calling again.

Does the website allow you to do this change for a better rate? If you can get this done on the website, that is the easiest option.

It is possible that the fare you purchased will not allow this without all segments/tickets being completely replaced by the currently on sale fare/itinerary. If that is the case, perhaps you can ask for a waiver of the change fee and have the agent help you build a brand new itinerary from the old one.
Yes I called back and got a wonderful agent that quoted me the price I was expecting, $190.
The first agent didnt seem like a 1K agent. She seemed to not have much experience. Glad I don't have to wait and see if my RPU would clear on this flight!
The website wasn't letting me do it, saying online upgrade currently not available.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I have PDX-DEN-EWR booked. I am looking at the individual segments, and I see that my fare class on the first leg (PDX-DEN) is booked at a U fare, which is showing up as costing less than the A fare for that leg. Can I call in to see if they will just boot me up on that single leg of the itinerary, or can I only ask for the buyup if I upgrade the entire trip (because of married segments)?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I have PDX-DEN-EWR booked. I am looking at the individual segments, and I see that my fare class on the first leg (PDX-DEN) is booked at a U fare, which is showing up as costing less than the A fare for that leg. Can I call in to see if they will just boot me up on that single leg of the itinerary, or can I only ask for the buyup if I upgrade the entire trip (because of married segments)?
Depends how it's fared. If the fare is broken in DEN, then yes, otherwise doing that will force a break in DEN which will probably be expensive.

If you're not sure you can look up your ticket on Saudia and it will tell you your fare construction.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
Depends how it's fared. If the fare is broken in DEN, then yes, otherwise doing that will force a break in DEN which will probably be expensive.

If you're not sure you can look up your ticket on Saudia and it will tell you your fare construction.
If the old fare is still for sale, you can look up the breakdown on matrix.itasoftware.com. You may have to force the booking codes using the "/f bc=X" option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.