Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone fly United 803 to NRT?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G
Anyone fly United 803 to NRT?

High prices are forcing me on to United Airlines to Bangkok, either IAD - NRT - BKK; or ORD - NRT - BKK.

Is there a difference in the economy class on the 777 and 747 that United flies on the IAD - NRT and ORD - NRT routes? I hear the 747 does not have AVOD. Hard to tell which type of aircraft United has on the routes.

If neither option is palatable, maybe worth flying AC; or trying on ANA. But at well over 6 feet tall, ANA's economy is tight....

Many thanks.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:53 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
First, welcome to Flyertalk.

Second, there is a United Forum that handles any questions related to the airline. There are many people who post in that forum that fly this route.

You might want to check out that forum and see what people say about the planes and route.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 7:53 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
MWGAT, welcome to FlyerTalk!

As most of your concerns are about UA service, please follow as the thread moves to the United forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz and United.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:18 am

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Originally Posted by MWGAT
High prices are forcing me on to United Airlines to Bangkok, either IAD - NRT - BKK; or ORD - NRT - BKK.

Is there a difference in the economy class on the 777 and 747 that United flies on the IAD - NRT and ORD - NRT routes? I hear the 747 does not have AVOD. Hard to tell which type of aircraft United has on the routes.

If neither option is palatable, maybe worth flying AC; or trying on ANA. But at well over 6 feet tall, ANA's economy is tight....

Many thanks.
You are correct, the 747 Y cabin is pretty tired looking and now AVOD, just the overhead screen! The 777 is a gamble, you may get the new IPTE bird that has nice AVOD or you may get an old bird that has a PTV with looping programs/video.

Over 6' tall I think the upgrade to Economy + for $100-130 would be well worth for you! I'm 6'1 and would hate to ride 12+ hrs in 31" pitch.

AC 777's have 32" pitch and I have done Y to Europe with them and enjoyed it. I flew them to PEK and scored the exit row for $100 (purchased tix at AC.com)

good luck!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K
I'm 6 feet tall and E+ on UA has been good for longhaul flights, but I only book flight on the IPTE birds. I just pray it doesn't get switched out last minute. Like the previous poster mentioned that would be an additional cost.

I've done AC TPAC and their E was comfortable. Good AVOD and no gamble of aircraft change. I don't like going through US customs in Canada as my PEK-YYZ was delayed and we got to customs at 9:01 pm and it had shutdown at 9 pm. We had to spend the night in Toronto and fly out in the morning, but that was only one experience.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the very prompt replies. AC is my prefered choice for international travel (am based in Canada), but prices are significantly more than on UA.

Have been looking to book on planes that are upgraded (IPTE). Fly DXB - IAD earlier this year on a new plane in economy (not "+") and was pleasantly suprised. Plane on the IAD - NRT route is consistently listed as 77Q, which I think is IPTE?

Anyone been on on the IAD - NRT or ORD - NRT routes recently, in economy?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,

Haven't been on this bird (744) recently but here is some info to chew on.

I've been watching UA 881 (ORD-NRT) for the past 6 weeks and there have been quite a few delays with this flight (some 3-6 hrs) so that can play a part in your NRT connection. There have been 8 delays of over 2 hrs and 1 cancellation since July 21st.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Have been looking to book on planes that are upgraded (IPTE). Fly DXB - IAD earlier this year on a new plane in economy (not "+") and was pleasantly suprised. Plane on the IAD - NRT route is consistently listed as 77Q, which I think is IPTE?

77Q is IPTE. The risk is that they'll switch it to the old version of the 777 without IPTE. Difficult to predict, but it happens ~2 times a week (a poster here has comprehensive stats). There's really no way to control for this - I've had the plane switch at the gate (although IAD-PEK, but same set of issues).
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. Will take my chances on the IAD - NRT routing and hope for the best. United thanks you for convincing me....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.