Wiki Posts
Search

UA domestic F vs US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
UA domestic F vs US

Going to HNL in a few weeks on award ticket and current routing is IAD-DEN-LAX-HNL all UA F. We'd prefer to fly out of DCA and DCA-CLT-LAX is available on US F, but the thought of a transcon on US doesn't get me excited for vacation. Admittedly, I don't think we have any IFE now, but at least we have a layover mid continent.

Is it worth sticking with UA vs US when DCA is a much preferred departure point? Another consideration, I suppose, would be that I have no access to UA lounges, and do have US lounges via Amex Plat... The US CLT-LAX is listed as a A321.

Will the LAX-HNL flight have any IFE and/or will the meal be any better than standard domestic F?

Flight: UA1038
Aircraft: Boeing 757-300
Fare Class: United First (I)
Meal: Dinner

Appreciate any advice. The date is 9/24 and open to anything out of DCA (and I suppose eliminating a stop from IAD would be helpful as well if possible)

EDIT: Also, just want to clarify that I see some later options, but not willing to land in HNL any later than we already are on flight 1038.

Last edited by DC777Fan; Sep 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Isn't US domestic F as bad as UA domestic F?

US HNL service is done on a 752 with old recliner seats with footrests. They are not great, but you can nap in them. I don't know what kind of seats you get with UA. If it's one of the 3-cabin 752s, you should be in lie-flats, and should definitely stay with UA on the HNL segment. Also, are there any IAD-LAX nonstops avilable for redemption?
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Going to HNL in a few weeks on award ticket and current routing is IAD-DEN-LAX-HNL all UA F. We'd prefer to fly out of DCA and DCA-CLT-LAX is available on US F, but the thought of a transcon on US doesn't get me excited for vacation. Admittedly, I don't think we have any IFE now, but at least we have a layover mid continent.

Is it worth sticking with UA vs US when DCA is a much preferred departure point? Another consideration, I suppose, would be that I have no access to UA lounges, and do have US lounges via Amex Plat... The US CLT-LAX is listed as a A321.

Will the LAX-HNL flight have any IFE and/or will the meal be any better than standard domestic F?

Appreciate any advice. The date is 9/24 and open to anything out of DCA (and I suppose eliminating a stop from IAD would be helpful as well if possible)

EDIT: Also, just want to clarify that I see some later options, but not willing to land in HNL any later than we already are on flight 1038.
US pros - connection in CLT exteremly easy. US clubs in CLT nice, the food has greatly improved over the last year. A321 comfortable new planes with wifi. Biggest pro of the numerous flights I've on US this zero cancelations, one flight was an hour late - still made my connection.

Toss up - food and service about the same. My recent experience has been a nod to US, I think the UA FA's are grumpy due to integration issues; I have not found them to be so over the years.

US cons - no entertainment system of any kind. Clubs free beer and wine; no free booze
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold

US has a pretty good transcon food offering in F, but no IFE at all. If IFE is very important to you, pick UA. Otherwise, you get lounge access at DCA, a much closer airport, and better food service on US.

The 757-300 to Hawai'i will have a standard meal and the IFE will be overhead monitors.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by burlax
Isn't US domestic F as bad as UA domestic F?

US HNL service is done on a 752 with old recliner seats with footrests. They are not great, but you can nap in them. I don't know what kind of seats you get with UA. If it's one of the 3-cabin 752s, you should be in lie-flats, and should definitely stay with UA on the HNL segment. Also, are there any IAD-LAX nonstops avilable for redemption?

I was looking at a way to get to LAX right now from DCA to catch our current LAX-HNL portion. LAX-HNL is showing a 2 cabin 753 right now with 6 rows of F.

I suppose I'd be open to US PHX-HNL if we could do it DCA-PHX-HNL, but that doesn't look available.

There are several IAD-LAX non stops available for Y redemption, but that's it...
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS 100K
You are on a sCO 753 for LAX - HNL. Others on here have called them the "ghetto birds" of the PMCO fleet. It's a high density aircraft with overhead screens for IFE and no in-seat AC power.

As far as flying domestic F on UA or US, the less connection option on US sounds much better. I love to fly as much as the next guy (or girl) on FT, but adding all that extra time for domestic connections just isn't worth it. You won't have IFE on US, but you will have WiFi.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First

Just (Friday) flew LAX-CLT on US (first US transcon) and it was actually a great flight. No IFE but WiFi and movies on my iPad kept me busy. The food was actually quite good and the A321 was BRAND new. I am not sure how old it really was but it was spotlessly clean. All in all US provided a darn good transcon service in my book and I have been flying LAX-BOS every other week for 5 years. FWIW.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
I was looking at a way to get to LAX right now from DCA to catch our current LAX-HNL portion. LAX-HNL is showing a 2 cabin 753 right now with 6 rows of F.

I suppose I'd be open to US PHX-HNL if we could do it DCA-PHX-HNL, but that doesn't look available.

There are several IAD-LAX non stops available for Y redemption, but that's it...
2-cabin PMCO 753 has recliner seats. If I were you, I'd look into booking DCA-PHX-HNL on US. The seats are gonna be just as bad, but it's one fewer connection to worry about. And PHX is a very easy airport to connect.

EDIT: I see availability on 9/24 for DCA-ORD-HNL on UA. Nvm, ORD-HNL is in Y. But there is a saver award DCA-SFO-HNL, if you're willing to do the SFO segment in Y.

Last edited by burlax; Sep 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.