Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Airport Lounge Options for UA Travelers in Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney (SYD)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SYD Lounges for *G and UA Business Class passengers
* Air New Zealand Lounge, International Terminal 2, Level 3, Pier C

* SilverKris Lounge Business Class Lounge, International Terminal 2, Level 3, Pier C
Hours - MON 05:30-18:30;TUE 05:30-18:30;WED 05:30-18:30;THU 05:30-18:30;FRI 05:30-18:30;SAT 05:30-18:30;SUN 05:30-18:30;

MEL Lounges for *G and UA Business Class passengers
* Air New Zealand Intl. Lounge, Location International Satellite, Ground Floor

* SilverKris Lounge Business Class, Location International Satellite, Arrivals Level, Opposite gate 7

Neither airport has an arrival lounge

Related thread
General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc.) [Merged]
MEL United Club Closed Permanently (June 12, 2015)
Annie is a rock star (aka United in Australia)
Archive
Airport Lounge Options for UA Travelers in Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney (SYD) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Airport Lounge Options for UA Travelers in Melbourne (MEL) and Sydney (SYD)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cbourl
Sadly since no more GF t oAU from SFO I wont be able to use my beloved spacious and very exclusive SFO Global First Lounge :-(((
There's still almost 3 months worth of GF to SYD. The 787's don't start on this route until the end of March.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Amex lounge not too bad either.
Also bummed that no more GF to Oz for me by the time of next flight.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by docbert
There's still almost 3 months worth of GF to SYD. The 787's don't start on this route until the end of March.
For me no plans to use this route till after March
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
As a UA 1K and a SQ PPS I get the option of either lounge routinely. The NZ Koru Club underwent a refurbishment to a lot of fanfare last year and it was really nice when it first opened, but on reflection I think it was better BEFORE it was remodelled.

A few posts up, docbert mentioned that they will direct you to the NZ lounge at check-in (if flying UA) and it's also been mentioned that the SQ lounge seems to be a bit hit-and-miss as to whether they'll let you in or not if flying an airline besides SQ. (That was the case for me, until I became PPS anyway.)

However, when I checked in last month, flying J on UA with the wife and kids, to my surprise we were directed to the SQ lounge, NOT the NZ lounge. SQ accepted us without question or quibble even without me pulling my PPS card. So maybe UA has decided to direct people to SQ from now on?

I must say that I far prefer the SQ lounge to the NZ lounge. Although SQ can get really overcrowded when there's an A380 or a few flights (some days there are 5 SQ flights), the NZ lounge seems to contract out to every airline on the planet and is often overcrowded. I've also found the NZ lounge service to be lacking; tables not cleared, messes not cleaned up, food not replenished as quickly as was before the remodel. Disappointing... but if you're used to United Clubs in the USA then the Koru Club lounge will likely impress you nonetheless!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
On check-in for flying J on UA840, we were directed to the SQ lounge - no mention of the NZ lounge. Not crowded at all, very peaceful, delicious food (nice mix of Asian and Western). ^
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Hey all.. dropping to Silver this year.. Will be landing in SYD in Feb. I have UC and have had no trouble getting into NZ lounge when laying over on the way to MEL (eg LAX-SYD-MEL) when I had no *G and just UC.

So my question is, can you use the NZ lounge on arrival even if you are not transiting? I have a 1.5 hour drive after landing and would love a shower.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:05 am

No. You won't even able to get to where the lounges are located.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
So my question is, can you use the NZ lounge on arrival even if you are not transiting? I have a 1.5 hour drive after landing and would love a shower.
No. Not only is it not allowed, but there's no physical way to access it without a departing international ticket.

SYD international has public showers landside, but they are bring-your-own-everything, as well as being... well... public showers.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Thanks folks! Hmm.. how brave am I?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'm flying United from LAX to SYD, landing mid-morning. Will likely be getting an early afternoon flight from SYD-CNS on a different itin (Virgin or Qantas). As I'll have to pick up checked bags and clear customs... what lounge options will I have to kill time in SYD airport after I go back through security? I'm 1K, a United Club member, and will be flying in business class LAX-SYD and coach from SYD-CNS.

Thanks!

Last edited by ORDtoAnywhere; Feb 11, 2016 at 9:19 pm Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:06 pm

On SYD-CNS? If youre in J you get access to the Qantas Domestic Business Lounge or the Virgin Australia lounge
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
On SYD-CNS? If youre in J you get access to the Qantas Domestic Business Lounge or the Virgin Australia lounge
Sorry, no... wasn't clear in my original post (now edited for clarity). In United business class from LAX-SYD, probably Virgin/Qantas coach from SYD-CNS.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:44 pm

Then you get nothing I'm afraid.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by ORDtoAnywhere
Sorry, no... wasn't clear in my original post (now edited for clarity). In United business class from LAX-SYD, probably Virgin/Qantas coach from SYD-CNS.
If you had the AA executive club card, you could access the Qantas lounge. You could also pay for the Skyteam lounge - I think. Whether it is practical may depend on your terminal.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Amex lounge not too bad either.
Also bummed that no more GF to Oz for me by the time of next flight.
Ha! I spoke too soon! SQ F lounge here I come!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.