FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Fire Jeff Smisek Facebook Page (LOL) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1382001-fire-jeff-smisek-facebook-page-lol.html)

Nicksterguy Aug 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Fire Jeff Smisek Facebook Page (LOL)

There is a fire Jeff Smisek facebook page in case anyone wants to take a look at it.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/321572711266692/

RobOnLI Aug 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Coincidence that "666" is in the number of the group page?

-RM

shortkidd Aug 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Nicksterguy (Post 19210918)
There is a fire Jeff Smisek facebook page in case anyone wants to take a look at it.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/321572711266692/

Just joined....this page is off the hook!

El Cochinito Aug 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Him and his CIO (Chief Information Officer). Unreal; we're almost two hours into their worldwide system outage. This has to be costing them millions of dollars...

UAL4life Aug 28, 2012 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by El Cochinito (Post 19211171)
Him and his CIO (Chief Information Officer). Unreal; we're almost two hours into their worldwide system outage. This has to be costing them millions of dollars...

Are we taking bets yet? I say not before 4pm PST (didn't want to start a new thread) edit: And just found the main thread, looks like I lost that bet lmao.

FlyWorld Aug 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by El Cochinito (Post 19211171)

True. But don't forget how much they saved by switching to SHARES!

ibuyyoufly Aug 28, 2012 3:23 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The decision to use SHARES should cost many people their job, starting with Smisek, then all the other Exec and Senior VP's that too sided with this decision. Pick another industry to work in.

kb1992 Aug 28, 2012 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ibuyyoufly (Post 19211337)
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The decision to use SHARES should cost many people their job, starting with Smisek, then all the other Exec and Senior VP's that too sided with this decision. Pick another industry to work in.

+1

How much money do they save with SHARES?

How much money is lost due to system failure, lost revenue and extra human costs? :confused:

SMI/J and his gangs who made the SHARE decision should be fired.

Thunderroad Aug 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Good idea. I just joined.

FlyWorld Aug 28, 2012 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 19211879)
+1

How much money is lost due to system failure, lost revenue and extra human costs? :confused:

The way this usually works is that the managers who make these decisions design the metrics to provide the outcomes that they want. So, they measure the savings the way the want to measure the savings, and they fire anyone who suggests measuring the costs, such as those you have articulated.

The beauty of this system is that the managers who make these decisions get to congratulate themselves on a job well done, get promoted, and collect huge bonuses.

I've got no insight into the reality at COdbaUA, but this is how I've seen similar things play out in other organizations.

ibuyyoufly Aug 28, 2012 5:24 pm

I personally think this was a planned outage, wanting to give everyone worldwide a manual IRROPS lesson and in preparation for this Winter season. In other words, OTJ training. Can't get ready soon enough.

A strategic by-product is it also gives Smi/J plausible deniability on August DOT complaints, On-time performance and Revenue misses. Based on what everyone is posting about their accounts, it sounds like they had to load in a back-up from who knows when. I bet it could take a while for them to fix all the data corruption, which could mean several days of, pick a flight, any flight and pick a seat, any seat.

Mainframe guys out there. Doesn't this kind of system usually have a back-up procedure, or is that what we just saw in 2-3 hours?

Originally Posted by kb1992 (Post 19211879)
+1

Also, based on what some/most of us have experienced since 3/3 and the occasional system outage since then, there is no doubt this is a very unstable system. Meaning, this isn't the end of it. Dollars (revenue and expense) will continue to be sucked out of the business over some period of time until better minds prevail. Can't wait.

ryerflyer Aug 28, 2012 5:34 pm

It's cute, but I have better things to occupy my time with. Seriously, do we really need another site to post endless rants on? Whatever.