Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Old Dec 5, 2012, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've flown several times on N593UA this year and can confirm that there is no operating wifi (it still has the different seating and normal power ports in Y).
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:33 pm
mapoptic

This is a merged thread, but to the OP asking about SEA-WAS flights:

Just fly AS on one of their twice daily SEA-DCA flights. AS has WiFi, a much closer airport to downtown (DCA wins vice IAD) and much quicker curb to gate (DCA wins again).

Last edited by mapoptic; Dec 10, 2012 at 5:12 pm Reason: Typo fix/clarity/removed off-topic content.

Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:04 pm

I'm replying to your post from one of those planes, so they must have approval. It's not GoGo, can't recall how they've branded it. I'm in coach and was offered two "speeds" at 6.99 or 9.99. Flight 963, IAH-DCA, December 9.

(Oops, the quote didn't happen. But I was replying to a post from just a few days ago that stated several 319s were equipped, but there was no approval for actual service)

Last edited by joanek; Dec 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm
Old Dec 9, 2012, 6:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joanek
I'm replying to your post from one of those planes, so they must have approval. It's not GoGo, can't recall how they've branded it. I'm in coach and was offered two "speeds" at 6.99 or 9.99. Flight 963, IAH-DCA, December 9.

(Oops, the quote didn't happen. But I was replying to a post from just a few days ago that stated several 319s were equipped, but there was no approval for actual service)
Wish united.bomb or the app would be updated to show that wifi is available on these flights, though maybe they're just trialing it for now.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm
Wish united.bomb or the app would be updated to show that wifi is available on these flights, though maybe they're just trialing it for now.
I'm not even sure how many people logged on. I don't recall the pilot saying anything about wifi being available. I was surprised to see the network there and decided to connect just to see if it was really live.

The service worked well for the first 45 minutes or so, and then I couldn't connect to anything but gmail and the ual portal. After that, it was OK for the rest of the flight. I did fill out their online comment for wifi issues---it'll be interesting to see if there's a response.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 7:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joanek
I'm not even sure how many people logged on. I don't recall the pilot saying anything about wifi being available. I was surprised to see the network there and decided to connect just to see if it was really live.

The service worked well for the first 45 minutes or so, and then I couldn't connect to anything but gmail and the ual portal. After that, it was OK for the rest of the flight. I did fill out their online comment for wifi issues---it'll be interesting to see if there's a response.
Do you happen to remember the speeds they offered or that you were able to get via a test like speedtest.net?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by nevansm
Do you happen to remember the speeds they offered or that you were able to get via a test like speedtest.net?
They didn't list a speed, just "standard" (I think) and "accelerated." Didn't do a speed test. I did take the accelerated after suffering glacial speeds the last time I purchased on SW. But I have no idea what speeds were. It didn't seem much different than GoGo or the speed I get in the clubs. But I wasn't doing anything that involved streaming or big file uploads.

Last edited by joanek; Dec 9, 2012 at 9:27 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL GM, Hertz 5*, Marriott Plat
PHL-SFO Wi-Fi

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, but first time poster... I'm currently on one of United's A319s on a transcon flight from Philadelphia to San Francisco, ship #4003 for those wondering. It has Wi-Fi activated. The crew was kind enough to announce its availability prior to pushback.

There's a seatback card that outlines the price... $12.99 for standard and $17.99 for accelerated, which bills itself being 3x faster than the standard speed. I snapped photos of the card as well as screenshots of the login pages and can upload those sometime later today or tomorrow.

Here's a quick review of what I've experienced thus far:

WI-FI SPEED
The speed seems pretty quick. I've done a few tests on speedtest.net - I ran it once enroute to cruising altitude and I was pulling down 6.56Mbps/download. Two hours into the flight, I am now getting 8.43Mbps/download.

I have been streaming Spotify without issue for most of the flight (except for times the service cut out - see below).

However, the upload speeds are atrocious (relative to a ground connection) - enroute to cruising altitude, speedtest.net timed out. Currently, I am getting 0.12Mbps/upload. I am guessing this is a limitation with satellite technology?

OTHER
Other pieces about the service:
  • There's a flight tracker on the login page for the service, with flight progress information (similar to the AirShow on personal IFE equipped airplanes). It also lists arrival gate and baggage claim information, which is pretty neat. I believe that this page (and the united.com website) is available whether or not you purchase the service.
  • The service has cut out a lot, moreso than what I have experienced (my admittedly limited experience) with GoGo. Sometimes, the service will cut out for a minute or two, then reconnect. Being a satellite based service, I am assuming that this is due to cloud cover (similar to how the DirecTV service cuts out on the pmCO planes sometimes).
  • I am guessing that the IP address is based somewhere in the Philippines, because Google keeps redirecting me to www.google.com.ph and all the ads on FlyerTalk are from the Philippines

All in all, the Wi-Fi is an unexpected godsend - I hadn't loaded up my laptop with movies and media and this has been my entertainment for this flight. I probably wouldn't purchase it for a shorter flight, but for the transcons, the accelerated service is plenty fast and I am betting the standard service would be OK for light browsing.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:44 am

Hello,

By some miracle are there any two-class 757s (200 or 300) with WiFi?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 1:17 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by kilton
Hello,

By some miracle are there any two-class 757s (200 or 300) with WiFi?
No, and won't be anytime soon (save the reconfigured p.s. planes that will start appearing later this summer for JFK-SFO/LAX)
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by glx
No, and won't be anytime soon (save the reconfigured p.s. planes that will start appearing later this summer for JFK-SFO/LAX)
All those PS planes already have WiFi -- they will just get faster WiFi (eventually).
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:09 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by edcho
All those PS planes already have WiFi -- they will just get faster WiFi (eventually).
Right; poor choice of words on my part.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Wifi! United Airlines joining the rest of the airline industry into the 21st Century!

I have never been so excited in my life. I've filled out countless airline experience forms requesting it. For the first time ever, today on UA 687 LGA->ORD, there is a wifi decal on the airplane. I'm not in the air yet so who knows if I'm being duped or not.

WILL REPORT BACK.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by np05
... For the first time ever, today on UA 687 LGA->ORD, there is a wifi decal on the airplane. ...
available aircraft with wifi (besides the PS fleet) can be found in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-wikipost.html (mostly A319s)
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Sadly, ~85% packet loss and pings over 1000ms. I asked for a refund. :-(

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.