Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are United Club Agents No Longer Able to Assist With Rebooking/Ticketing?

Are United Club Agents No Longer Able to Assist With Rebooking/Ticketing?

Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Not naturally busy - since 3/3, they are artificially busy with yet another task that has gone from straightforward to tremendously complicated!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Current United Club benefits are listed as:

• Personalized travel assistance
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi service in all locations
  • Complimentary selection of beer, wine and spirits
  • Complimentary breakfast and afternoon snacks
  • Reciprocal club privileges for access to all Star Alliance® airline lounges
  • United Club members may access Star Alliance member airline lounges with up to one guest when departing on a same-day flight on any Star Alliance carrier.

"Personalized travel assistance" would reasonably include ticketing help, as in the past.

Interestingly, 2/2011 benefits for the then-Red Carpet Club were:

• Comfortable lounges centrally located in our busiest airports
• Personalized travel assistance
• Complimentary Wi-Fi service in all locations
• Complimentary selection of wine, beer and spirits
• Complimentary soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and cappuccino
• Complimentary breakfast and afternoon snacks

So basically the same (except the comfortable lounges went away).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:52 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
My recent experience on 8/10

I suffered through a trifecta of Irrops.

First flight posted a two hour delay, extended to 3 hours at the airport. There was one person working the desk at the UC. He did a great job of finding me a flight out on a busy Friday night, unfortunately the plane did not comply and went mechanical. So back to the club I went. Again he was the only person working the desk and ended up finding me a seat on a flight that was supposed to leave before my original flight, but was delayed 4:24. I was fortunate that he was working the desk that night.

Along the route that weekend, I attempted to ticket a reservation I had on hold using vouchers at three different airports and was told at each one that they don't do ticketing and I had to mail it in. I tried the clubs and the customer service areas, landslide and airside. No dice. However, I had absolutely no problem ticketing at ticketing Position 51 at SFO when I returned.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
I can name several clubs that don't have this second desk.

1. LAX T7 (former CO)
2. ORD E/F gates

But yes, if that second row of agents is there, I think you are 99% likely to get rebooked. If you are at a former RCC with the second row, I think you are likely to get rebooked, but it will take a bit longer, as the agent multi-tasks to also check pax into the club (which also takes longer now!) If you are at a PMCO club without the second row......
The "I'm too busy" excuse seems a bit easier to understand if there is only 1 desk. I've seen where front-line staff try to help a PAX resolve an issue and then get buried in the complexity of it, while a queue forms of PAX trying to get into the club. That's frustrating, especially when you've got 20 minutes to catch your next flight. Of course, now, that's likely to turn into 6 hours or 3 days due to all the cancellations.

I'm not shocked to learn that PMCO stations don't have the second desk. Since our future seems to look like PMCO's past, I wouldn't be shocked to find the second desks empty at PMUA stations soon. Another change we'll like.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Not sure if you need it or not, but if you need a new ticket then the UC isn't pulling your leg. Mr. Smisek took all the ticket stock out of all the UC's and United customer service centers to save money I guess. So the only way to purchase new tickets or maybe even rebook with new tickets is to go out to the main terminal ticket counters now.

I was unable to purchase a ticket at a United Service Center in ORD a couple weeks ago due to this.
AD
Funny, I was able to get rebooked very easily at an ORD service center last weekend.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Funny, I was able to get rebooked very easily at an ORD service center last weekend.
A hub is a different animal.

The outstation is where this is a problem.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:22 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by pastorjeffgolfer
Trying to get to SGN from SEA thru NRT flight looks like it will be cancelled due to mechanical. The united club employees tell us they can't work on any rebooking and we have to go back to the main terminal and see customer service. Does this seem correct?

I should add that three of the four of us are all premier gold or higher. Very difficult to understand how /why they would treat loyal customers this way. The staff in the club has no desire to help at all.
Not sure if you need it or not, but if you need a new ticket then the UC isn't pulling your leg. Mr. Smisek took all the ticket stock out of all the UC's and United customer service centers to save money I guess. So the only way to purchase new tickets or maybe even rebook with new tickets is to go out to the main terminal ticket counters now.

I was unable to purchase a ticket at a United Service Center in ORD a couple weeks ago due to this.
AD
Sounds like there are 2 activities here:

Rebooking - UC agents should be able to do this, typically at the secondary desk beyond the check-in desk. Some outstations, such as JFK (and now SEA) claims that they cannot do this - that's just an agent who's too busy clipping his/her nails in the meantime.

New ticket purchase - Based on AD's observation, this can no longer be completed behind security.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:26 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by PTahCha
New ticket purchase - Based on AD's observation, this can no longer be completed behind security.
This has been my experience as well.

Originally Posted by hobo13
I can name several clubs that don't have this second desk.

1. LAX T7 (former CO)
2. ORD E/F gates
From memory:

LGA (both)
ORD B18
EWR A20s (not sure about former RCC)
EWR C90s
ORD IFL
JFK (not really sure)

Most of them have additional agents at the check-in desk, especially during serious IRROPs.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by channa

In fairness, I've found everything to be harder at outstations and that's not new with $mi$ek, though he might have made it worse.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by mitchmu

I'm not shocked to learn that PMCO stations don't have the second desk. Since our future seems to look like PMCO's past, I wouldn't be shocked to find the second desks empty at PMUA stations soon. Another change we'll like.
EWR and IAH have always had 2nd desks.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
UC staff are not nearly as helpful or proficient as they were in the RCC, and it is the reason I did not pay $ to UA to renew my membership.

I can watch someone cut their nails out in the terminal...no need to pay money for a special lounge.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ew-one-me.html

(It was a much better thread before the photo was removed, IMO)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by channa

Seems like AD was implying you couldn't be re-booked at a hub. I was providing my opposite experience
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite

AD
your attempt to blame management is incorrect. Ticket stock is in the clubs (those that offer an "assitance" desk.......not the front check-in desks). The reason behind this more likely is directed from an internal audit control policy. Nothing about cutting costs by our CEO.

Last edited by CALMSP; Aug 21, 2012 at 9:59 am
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Define outstation. I was very easily able to be rebooked at the LGA Concourse C UC last Wednesday evening. They had ticket stock and everything.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Define outstation. I was very easily able to be rebooked at the LGA Concourse C UC last Wednesday evening. They had ticket stock and everything.
Yes, but they're landside so it's less fun for them to send you back through Security.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.