Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are United Club Agents No Longer Able to Assist With Rebooking/Ticketing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are United Club Agents No Longer Able to Assist With Rebooking/Ticketing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 2:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PVDProf
...The positive rebooking experience I described was in N. Yours?
Ditto.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
Oh crap. Not enough sleep last night.

I've only been in the T6 club once, and it was not a good experience. Heck, I didn't even know it existed -- wish I still didn't!

Look, nobody is saying that you can NEVER get rebooked at a hub or in a club, or in a hub club. We are merely saying that we have sometimes been told that.

Pointing out anecdotal counter-arguments does not disprove the thesis.
AD stated that it was a possibility that you could NEVER get rebooked at a Service Center. I was pointing out that was in fact not a real possibility.

Do you have a problem with factual information?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by channa
Since they moved to SHARES, yes, this is correct.

When you factor all the premium customers (F and C) and Star Golds and RCC members on the plane, there are likely 100 or more who need to be rebooked.

At 10 minutes a pop with SHARES, there's no way 2-3 club agents can handle this. That's on top of their regular responsibilities in the club.

On the previous PMUA system before the 3/3 system downgrade, it would have been manageable because rebooking/reissuing took only a small fraction of the time it takes now.

Absolutely not. Since 3/3, the trick is to blow off the customer and pass him down the line to let someone else deal with it.

Making up a rule like this is a very effective way to do that.
Simply: Not True.

Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Not sure if you need it or not, but if you need a new ticket then the UC isn't pulling your leg. Mr. Smisek took all the ticket stock out of all the UC's and United customer service centers to save money I guess. So the only way to purchase new tickets or maybe even rebook with new tickets is to go out to the main terminal ticket counters now.

I was unable to purchase a ticket at a United Service Center in ORD a couple weeks ago due to this.
AD
Uclubs and Service Centers in EWR absolutely do have ticket stock. Not that we use them that much since we all e-ticket. We primarily use paper ticket stock to rule tickets over to Amtrack durring IRROPS.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: One Pass
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Sounds like there are 2 activities here:

Rebooking - UC agents should be able to do this, typically at the secondary desk beyond the check-in desk. Some outstations, such as JFK (and now SEA) claims that they cannot do this - that's just an agent who's too busy clipping his/her nails in the meantime.

New ticket purchase - Based on AD's observation, this can no longer be completed behind security.
You don't need ticket stock to purchase a ticket anymore, just BP/Reciept stock. Everything is e-ticketed. We do not sell tickets on airlines who do not e-ticket.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
At BOS on Aug 10 when weather shut down EWR and all other NYC-region airports, I went to the club in terminal A where the agents were quickly processing reroutes for those heading west, including me, and I'm not even a club member. Very friendly, they were. Fast, too. But they are ex-CO and probably know SHARES a lot better.

Sunday at ORD during the UA455 fiasco, the B concourse club guard offered to sell me a day pass for fifty bucks so I could talk to someone. Yeah yeah, I know, it was a lot to ask, but she simply could have said no. Ended up going outside to the ticket counter.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I misconnected in IAD on Sunday and luckily the UC was open - a delayed Sao Paulo flight had kept them late. I reported my experience in my blog, but here is the appropriate except:

We landed at a little after 22:10 and my connection was at 22:02 so by right United need only have held the plane for 20 minutes to get me (and the other passengers) on. Of course arrival at the gate was faced by two agents chatting and so I knew the plane had gone. Whilst on the ground I check the UA mobile app and found that I had been rebooked the next day, via Newark, in Coach with a seat in row 35. OK, lovely option United but not mine! There were business seats available on that flight I confirmed with the app and had no idea of why the downgrade happened.

The Gate Agents suggested I join the 100 strong queue at Customer Service for rebooking. ‘No thanks – is United Club still open?’ I asked. Try the one at C8, the Sao Paulo is delayed and they are staying open!

Yipee!

Off I ran to C8 and encountered the best United employee I could have asked to meet.

I explained the problem, she looked at the computer, we cursed SHARES (United’s reservation system – imported from CO and very out of date) together. She agreed that the booking they had made didn’t work and when I asked whether I could go to London the next day on the daytime, she found space and rebooked me. In fact she did more than that – she had to call the SHARES helpline when it wouldn’t work – the question from the helpline agent ‘How far is Dublin from London?’ seemed odd but I guessed there was some rule about being able to book to nearby airports so I replied ’150 miles’, ignoring the issue of the Irish Sea. Eventually I left with a booking for UA922 for yesterday to London, two meal vouchers and having used one of my ‘Outperform Recognition’ certs on the UA mobile app. I have to say this agent was just superb, efficient, kind and helpful.

Whilst all of the code tying in to Shares was going on I check the Hyatt app and found that they had a room for $169 and so I called and booked it. Review to follow.

As she finished up my booking she also told me she was going off shift in 5 minutes and that she was walking to the main terminal so if i waited she would show me where to get the shuttle bus. Is that great service or what!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
AD stated that it was a possibility that you could NEVER get rebooked at a Service Center. I was pointing out that was in fact not a real possibility.

Do you have a problem with factual information?
So you pointed out that in fact it is not true that you can never get rebooked at a service center......

I think most of us would take that as a given. Again, most of us here are much more concerned about the exceptional circumstances when one cannot get rebooked during irrops without leaving the club, then the routine instances where one can get rebooked.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:16 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'm happy to report that I was able to get rebooked at the SFO (International Side) United Club last weekend when our SFO-BUR flight was canceled. +1 and I had our PNRs split at checkin so while I was autorebooked on a later SFO-BUR flight, +1 was rebooked on a flight three days later . Working with the agent, I was able to get ourselves on a SFO-SNA flight and had our return shifted from BUR to SNA. It took the poor agent over 40 minutes to do all of this; I was very happy not to have waited in line to reach an agent and also have a place to sit while she worked with the Help Desk to get everything sorted out.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by djmp
Current United Club benefits are listed as:

• Personalized travel assistance
  • Complimentary Wi-Fi service in all locations
  • Complimentary selection of beer, wine and spirits
  • Complimentary breakfast and afternoon snacks
  • Reciprocal club privileges for access to all Star Alliance® airline lounges
  • United Club members may access Star Alliance member airline lounges with up to one guest when departing on a same-day flight on any Star Alliance carrier.

"Personalized travel assistance" would reasonably include ticketing help, as in the past.

Interestingly, 2/2011 benefits for the then-Red Carpet Club were:

• Comfortable lounges centrally located in our busiest airports
• Personalized travel assistance
• Complimentary Wi-Fi service in all locations
• Complimentary selection of wine, beer and spirits
• Complimentary soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and cappuccino
• Complimentary breakfast and afternoon snacks

So basically the same (except the comfortable lounges went away).
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I checked the United.com website and it says this about the united club amenities:

United ClubSM locations offer a wide range of amenities to make your experience productive and enjoyable:

Complimentary beverages and light snacks
Complimentary bar service
Agent assistance with reservations, seat assignments and electronic ticketing
Complimentary high-speed wireless Internet access
Telephones with data ports for computer usage
Complimentary local phone calls
Complimentary use of fax machines
Conference rooms with speakerphones and DVD players*
Complimentary use of photocopy machines
Current periodicals and newspapers
Information on local dining and entertainment options
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
About a three weeks, Mrs OrlandoFlyer and I flew back from LHR to EWR and I was booked on a later flight from EWR to MCO than Mrs. The UA Agent in the SC in EWR managed to get me on the earlier flight with Mrs., had my luggage transferred to the earlier flight, and got me an upgrade so we Mrs. and I sat together in F. Really did a good job with about an hour to go before flight time.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:46 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Recent experience:

SFO domestic- My flight to IAD was overbooked, so the agent at the UC was able to add me to the volunteer list and protect me on the SFO-PIT flight.

EWR C3- The agent was able to rebook us on a flight the next day when our original flight was delayed 4 hours until almost midnight.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I've had two recent experiences at both ends of the spectrum. At DEN, when I mis-connected to SNA an agent told me to hurry down to a LAX departure and "see if they will add you to the list". When I asked for other options, she said "I just gave them to you and I suggest you get down there now".

In PHX, on a crew time delay, the agent immediately booked me on AA (who immediately upgraded me to first, thanks AA!) to my final.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by c502cid
I've had two recent experiences at both ends of the spectrum. At DEN, when I mis-connected to SNA an agent told me to hurry down to a LAX departure and "see if they will add you to the list". When I asked for other options, she said "I just gave them to you and I suggest you get down there now".

In PHX, on a crew time delay, the agent immediately booked me on AA (who immediately upgraded me to first, thanks AA!) to my final.
I think it's just really agent dependent. I had an agent in the IAD UC who helped me rebook after a plane went mech, but it took 40 minutes and her getting very agitated with SHARES. It didn't look like she was in the mood to help anyone else after that.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:41 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
In August I flew through ORD coming back from Asia and there was weather and tons of delays going to DC-area. The UC club agent spent a lot of time helping me to get on the earliest flight possible - rebook success. I think the UC agent was pulling the leg of the initial OP.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
I had a good experience with IRROPS at the SEA UC Club on Aug 31.

I was originally scheduled to fly SEA-SFO-SLC, but the SEA-SFO flight was delayed due to weather in SFO. The delay was such that I would have misconnected in SFO and had to overnight if the other flight wasn't delayed.

I went to the UC in SEA, and a very helpful pmUA agent started working on my flight. Rebooked me on a DL nonstop without even having to ask. Not only did I make it to SLC, but I got there 3 hours earlier than my UA itinerary.

I had an old GTEM card, so I gave it to him. Not only did he make me happy that night, he made my girlfriend happy as I was going to see her. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.