Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Thanksgiving/Christmas Schedule Cutbacks on United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Thanksgiving/Christmas Schedule Cutbacks on United

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:19 am

UA Flight 234 [SFO-MCO] Removed From Flight Schedule for 25 December 2012?

I have been tracking and finalizing the purchase of the nonstop UA flight 234 from SFO to MCO (8:40a->4:40pm) on Dec.25th, 2012. This weekend the flight disappeared from the bomb. The flight was not full.

The same flight is available on the 24th & 26th. Any insights? Thanks.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 10, 2012 at 10:57 am Reason: incomplete thread title
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
flight UA234 gone

I don't know about that flight but I do know UA has been reducing capacity across the board. I am looking at flights on Thanksgiving that are no longer available.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA is aggressively reducing its schedule around holidays. One reason is the greatly reduced demand on the holiday itself, another is a consequence of understaffing (anticipated sick calls, reserve coverage, etc.).

As far as "finalizing the purchase", what does that mean? Hovering your cursor over the "Continue To Purchase" button for a few hours?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Club Card, UA & DL Platinum; Hyatt's Gold Passport, AVIS President's Club, AA, GOES
I found an 8:40 AM departure that was cancelled (see below)

US (UA) 6122 0 SFO
12/25/12 8:40 MCO
12/25/12 16:46 319
Daily
63% / 21m Flight Cancelled
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:35 am

It's cancelled for the day because it is Christmas. People may fly before/after Thanksgiving and Christmas but not many fly on the actual holiday. Over the past few years airlines have significantly reduced holiday schedules.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
UA is aggressively reducing its schedule around holidays. One reason is the greatly reduced demand on the holiday itself, another is a consequence of understaffing (anticipated sick calls, reserve coverage, etc.).

As far as "finalizing the purchase", what does that mean? Hovering your cursor over the "Continue To Purchase" button for a few hours?
I guess I have to look for a 1 stop flight. Had to wait to purchase until work schedule around the holidays was finalized.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Club Card, UA & DL Platinum; Hyatt's Gold Passport, AVIS President's Club, AA, GOES
Originally Posted by drewmisha
I guess I have to look for a 1 stop flight. Had to wait to purchase until work schedule around the holidays was finalized.
How about this?:

UA 292 0 SFO
12/25/12 15:45 MCO
12/25/12 23:51 320
M,T,W,Th,F
40% / 58m F9 A9 Z6 P6 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0
Old Sep 10, 2012, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
It's cancelled for the day because it is Christmas. People may fly before/after Thanksgiving and Christmas but not many fly on the actual holiday. Over the past few years airlines have significantly reduced holiday schedules.
Indeed, they also often offer very low fares on xmas day in order to fill the seats which they do have flying.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
These holiday cutbacks have resulted in a schedule change for me four (4) different times. I completely understand they are trying to be profitable as can be. Booked in on a P-up CLE-RSW right before Christmas then return right before New Years. I'm guessing being in F may have helped me because each time I called I was polite and professional and agents let me change cities (originally going into TPA for price) and flights with/ without connections. The latest schedule change had my evening return to CLE cancelled. The red schedule changes wanted me on a noon nonstop but before accepting I called and asked nicely to be changed to a late afternoon with connection because I need to be there longer. I knew the flight I wanted to be on was only selling A and much more expensive than the original but surprisingly the ICC (after being put on hold to check with supervisor) after 15 min got it done. Well done UA!

Quick note- this makes the third time in the last month I have called as a GM and had NO wait time! An agent picked up right after my reservation was found with the automated system.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cheltzel
We had 3 GlobalFirst award seats ORD-HKT over the Christmas/New Years time frame.

Overnight UA canceled a lot of the ORD TPAC flights for Dec 24 and 25.

I have spent several hours on the phone with UA CSRs. I have to say all have tried to do their best, but there is no availability that will allow us to travel any time remotely close to our original travel dates.

The last supervisor I worked with indicated that I should contact UA Customer Relations about this. I suspect that will get me nowhere.

Any advice on how to either get this fixed, if it is fixable? If we have to cancel, I want to make sure I get maximum compensation for this. It was pretty hard to explain to my family that we are now not going on a much anticipated tropical vacation.
DOT complaint form.....
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/problems.htm
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:27 am
Suspended

many years ago, on a flight from ORD to SFO on July 4th. I was one of the only 2 passengers in the E+ section of Y cabin on a 777. LOL.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:41 am

I was scheduled on 1/1 for SIN-NRT-LAX and they canceled the flight from NRT-LAX so I've been rebooked SIN-HKG-SFO-LAX instead... I'm in BusinessFirst so I'd welcome the 744 Upper Deck anytime.

Last edited by usa18dca; Sep 11, 2012 at 12:49 am Reason: Edited to reflect which flight was canceled.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a revenue ticket, W, upgraded with a GPU for BKK-NRT-ORD-BOS on 26 Dec. I missed this thread, shame on me, and just noticed I was re-booked BKK-NRT-ORD on 24 Dec, then ORD-BOS on 26 Dec. According to an agent the change was made 24 August. I did not receive any notification.

Anyway, I called today and they offered to put me on a NH flight for BKK-NRT on the 26th connecting to ORD and BOS. However I asked for a change to 27 Dec, all on UA and asked that they open upgrade space - which was unavailable, and they did for all three segments. Leaving a day later but pleased with the result.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 9:17 am

Reading this thread has made me paranoid about our flights SFO-NRT over new years, we've got 2 award F and one paid. It is sort of a double whammy for MP members because the flights you can most easily get saver awards on are also the flights most likely to be scrubbed. Making award inventory even worse than it appears.

At least our returns are NH metal. I cant see a Japanese carrier behaving like this.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
What UA taketh away, they also giveth (elsewhere)

Booked on UA 724 HNL-SFO on Dec 24. This went from a ghetto bird 777 to an old intl config 777. The R space for upgrades went into the double digits (when I could still see it on .bomb)!

Mrs. Transportprof and I are now sitting in barca-loungers for our X-mas eve flight to the mainland!

I'll bet this ac came of some intl. schedule cutback, so they're not simply parking all the metal, but moving it around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.