2012 Thanksgiving/Christmas Schedule Cutbacks on United

Subscribe
Quote: Actually, Hua Hin is where I'd go and it's about a 2 hour drive south of BKK. Much easier to get to and not requiring another carrier (award)....
Agreed. Also less crowded, weaker taxi mafia and a better low key destination.
Quote: I agree. In the roughly 10 years I'd been flying UA before the takeover, I had situations like this on a fairly regular basis. In every case, without exception, they put me on hold, called a special desk, opened space, and got me to my destination, on the same day, at the same price, in the same class of service. I never even had to fight for it. The agents immediately understood what was the right thing to do, and they did it. In several cases, I ended up better off than I was in the beginning because I'd booked a stupid routing to take advantage of certain inventory, and when they did the space opening for me, they'd just do it on the most direct routing.

This seems to me like another anti-customer policy change, another change we're told that we'll like. Right.
UA was always more helpful about fixing situations then they are since this merger. It seems what CO is imposing is a rigidity that is going to destroy the airline.
Quote: UA was always more helpful about fixing situations then they are since this merger. It seems what CO is imposing is a rigidity that is going to destroy the airline.
well did you ever think maybe PMUA was way too helpful? and that they should have been alot more PMCO and other Carriers

I believe the main problem was PMUA wasnt tight fisted enough about things and PMCO was too tight fisted

I had my share of schedule changes with PMUA where my flight was dropped and that meant a flight hours before or after the 1 I was booked on, and even as a 1K they worked with me but numerous times I was reminded Mr craz you can always ask and receive a full refund of what you paid, of cause having used an eCert and fares way more expensive then what I paid that wasnt a realistic option for me.

But the Carriers dont have to rebook us part of the CoC is a full refund at their descretion, lets be Happy they simply arent doing that and are trying within reason to work with us.
Quote: No. UAL no longer operates LAX to Narita on 12/24 nonstop, and many other days now. Further, we are traveling to BKK via Narita and UAL no longer operates daily nonstop svc on that route either. Big changes. Is UAL responsible to protect us on another carrier in the same class or is there some rule that when it is reward ticket one has to find reward space all over again?
As noted in my post, I saw direct flights on 6 days +/- 12/24 on EF. Does this mean EF is reporting incorrect schedule data? Maybe UA just changed it and EF needs time to sync?

Quote: UA was always more helpful about fixing situations then they are since this merger. It seems what CO is imposing is a rigidity that is going to destroy the airline.
This is one of the more interesting things I've been learning in the post 3/3 era.

There are certain "public" changes that were made on 3/3 but there were also policy changes quietly made, and only through this dialog, are we learning the extent and scope of them.

It seems like, for the most part, all agents have lost any ability to open space or play with fare classes to deal with IRROPS situations. What I see posted here day after day is the notion that CO will get put you on any flight that has space in same fare class, but if you're subject to IRROPS and that fare class is sold out on the best alternatives, then you're stuck with potentially terrible or useless itineraries.

Quote: well did you ever think maybe PMUA was way too helpful? and that they should have been alot more PMCO and other Carriers

I believe the main problem was PMUA wasnt tight fisted enough about things and PMCO was too tight fisted
It works both ways. Because UA wasn't tight fisted with me, I wasn't tight fisted with them. Since I got so much care and so many benefits, I didn't bother to ask for compensation or file complaints when they screwed up. And, I was willing to pay more to fly with them instead of taking cheaper options with comparable schedules. So, their "too helpful" policies encouraged me to also be "too helpful" in return. It goes both ways. Now, my generosity is gone, and I'll fight with them down to the last cent, because that's what they're doing to me.

This is a relationship. I'd argue that a win-win cordial relationship is better for everyone than a relationship between enemy combatants.
Quote: Agreed. Also less crowded, weaker taxi mafia and a better low key destination.
...though it's starting to get up there as more people tire of Phuket, Pattaya and Samui. I've got a rental about 50 km south of there, in Sam Roi Yot. Still mostly untouched, but I can see the development starting already

It's sad that the Hua Hin airport no longer has commercial flights to it anymore, the OP could go there.
Thanksgiving/Christmas TPAC cancellations, computer messes up big time
Happen to know people flying on/near holidays. And their itins have been messed up big time.

Case 1:
Original: Wed 11/21 UA HKG-NRT-LAX
Canceled: Wed UA HKG-NRT, Thu UA NRT-LAX
Itin changed to: Thu UA HKG-NRT, Wed NH NRT-LAX!

Case 2:
Original: 12/25 UA HKG-NRT-LAX
Canceled: 12/25 UA NRT-LAX
Itin changed to: 12/25 UA HKG-NRT, 12/24 UA NRT-LAX!

Advice I gave: Don't bother calling English (ICC). Call HNL Cantonese 6a-7p PT. Ask for NH/NQ codeshares.

Web's "Acknowledge Schedule Change" page says: "If a change will cause a misconnect on your flights, you may change that segment with no change fee." May I suspect that the misconnect was created in order to ensure no change fee?
ORD-HKG nonstop (UA895) is not operating 4 straight days 11/20, 11/21, 11/22, 11/23
HKG-ORD nonstop (UA896) is not operating 4 straight days 11/22, 11/23, 11/24, 11/25

MissKok is not happy, as she was about to book it with a cheap one-way W-fare, in order to eventually get to MNL. Prices were low because of the competition on the route from Cathay. And with the yields I've seen, I wonder if ORD-HKG is on the chopping block.
Is UA scaling back its HKG-ORD n/s service?
I was booked in F on 11/24/12, but recently received a message saying that my flight was changed to 11/26/12. I checked UA's website, and could not find any n/s service on 11/23, 24 or 25. Does anyone know if this is just a system glitch or whether, in fact, UA is cutting back its HKG-ORD n/s service? Thanks
It's probably a Thanksgiving-related change. There's another thread out there making a similar point about transpac flights around Christmas.
Most transpacific flights are cut back immediately around the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Some markets will have service via SFO during this time.
I was on the flight on the 23rd from ORD to HKG and rebooked to the following day except they did not change my flt from Moline to Ord so I have a 25 hour layover at ORD. And have not been notified. I found it myself by checking my flights on the website. I am going to cancel since my trip is for only 4 nights and now have lost one day of it. Hopefully I am able to get a refund.
Quote: I was on the flight on the 23rd from ORD to HKG and rebooked to the following day except they did not change my flt from Moline to Ord so I have a 25 hour layover at ORD. And have not been notified. I found it myself by checking my flights on the website. I am going to cancel since my trip is for only 4 nights and now have lost one day of it. Hopefully I am able to get a refund.
If you don't mind the double connect, there is availability in all cabins on 11/23 via SFO-HKG. They should be able to re-route you over ORD or DEN to get you to SFO. No excuse for the failure to notify but at least you may be able to salvage the trip.
Don't forget NYE people!

My 12/30 EWR-HKG was cancelled and they rebooked me EWR-NRT-HKG. Not a horrible situation, but I'd like to avoid a connection and 6 hours more travel time that would get me in later on the 31st so I'd have a tough time grabbing a drink in HKG upon arrival.

Had them re-book me on EWR-HKG 12/29... waiting to see if they cancel that one as well.
Quote: This is garbage.

You had a confirmed F seats.

COdbaUA cancelled the flight and your tickets.

Totally ridiculous and unacceptable.
I'm confident that if OP asked for a refund, he'd get it. Plus, it's 4 months before departure -- plenty of time to rebook.

This is no different from a schedule change greater than 2 hours.
Quote: This is garbage.

You had a confirmed F seats.

COdbaUA cancelled the flight and your tickets.

Totally ridiculous and unacceptable.
Certainly is, they should open up available revenue seats for OP.
This would be a high priority passus for a FF bill of rights!